Old 07-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #1

Full Timing Questions

We're full timing in our 2014 351DS until 9/30/16 and I have some questions since we have not full-timed before.

Does the 50 Amp power keep the engine battery charged? Can I use the Radio while parked or do I need to start the engine and let it run. If I do start the engine, do I need to bring the slides in?

I see to lubricate the jacks every two weeks (we're on the Gulf Coast); I assume I can use any oil on a rag to do it.

Do I need to unplug from shore power to run the generator to keep it exercised?

Anything else you learned the hard way that could prevent me some heartache?

Thanks Ya'll.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #2

I have a question you are full timing starting in 2014 until 09/2016 and you are asking questions like you have never been in a RV before? based on the assumption you started with a new RV.

1. Most MH have a switch that you can run your radio off of the coach batteries.
2. Some controllers will charge the chassis battery aft the coach batteries and full check your manual regardless if you are 50 or 30 amps.
3. Its my opinion that you should unplug from shore power so that you can load the generator to at least 75% and run it for a min of 30 min loaded to dry everything out.
4. Yes I have learned it better to sit back have a gin and tonic relax and enjoy the experience and not stress over things.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #3

We have been full time in our 2015 328 TS. For what it is worth...

Does the 50 Amp power keep the engine battery charged?
I do not think the 50 AMP power will charge the engine battery. There is a swith on the dash "BATT BOOST" that you can use to jump start the engine battery from the house batteries if the engine battery become discharged.

Can I use the Radio while parked or do I need to start the engine and let it run. If I do start the engine, do I need to bring the slides in?
There should be a "RADIO" button on the dash that will allow you to use the radio while parked without having to run the engine. You should not have to bring in the slides in order to start the engine. Just make sure you do not drive with the slides out.

I see to lubricate the jacks every two weeks (we're on the Gulf Coast); I assume I can use any oil on a rag to do it.
This is new to me. I hope someone else will reply to this question so I can learn.

Do I need to unplug from shore power to run the generator to keep it exercised?
I do not think so but there are more knowledgeable people on the board that may be able to answer better.

Anything else you learned the hard way that could prevent me some heartache?
Use plenty of water for the black tank and keep the valve shut until you need to dump the tank. I learned this the hard and expensive way.

I hope you have a great experience being full-time.

Happy travels!

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #4
WhoDoMan

I agree with all the other responders except last year I was out for 2 months. Although I used the dash switch to run the radio/surround sound etc mine was hooked to the engine battery only. After setting at the beach for 2 weeks I needed a jump to start the rig. Boost did not work as the house batteries FR used are junk. When I got back I replaced all batteries with upgraded ones and the dealer moved the dash radio switch to the house battery. Good luck. Have fun!