Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #1

Full timing with Direct TV

I tried 4 times this morning to move our Direct TV account from our sold sticks and bricks to our MH.
Didn’t get it done, the second call, FORCED by Direct TV was to Winegard, their not open on a holiday.
3rd call (same rep (Alex)as second) disconnected.
4th call I just changed our address to our first stop.

Local channels at the house are gone anyone think we’ll get local channels for zip 81252 when we get there?

ab&jb
Old 05-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #2

If you are going to fulltime then you just change your address to whatever you are going to use for a permanent address, such as your mail forwarding service. For all your DirecTV channels, EXCEPT for local channels, geographically where you are located means nothing to the satellite. If your dish can "see" the satellite then it will work. Now for your locals: ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX and probably your local PBS are all spot beamed from the Satellite so when you travel a couple of hundred miles away from the zip code where your s&b was they will simply disappear. This is actually mandated by the FCC. The solution is to get Distant Network Service (DNS) from DirecTV. You will need to sign a waiver from the FCC that is provided by DirecTV saying you are now mobile. When you get the DNS NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX will be out of New York or Los Angeles. The DNS is an additional $5 a month but you can cancel your old locals and save that money. We been on this for a couple of years now.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the “The solution is to get Distant Network Service (DNS) from DirecTV.”
I’m aware of the 100 or so mile limit for local, we’ve been carrying the receiver back and forth from our 76### zip to the 81252 for 7 yrs.

It was really frustrating trying to explain we didn’t need ANY equipment or an installer, didn’t matter what I said they just kept trying to UPSELL me.

I had the impression that Direct offered movable (RV) zip code specific local channels like Dish.
Maybe I’ll contact Winegard Wednesday,
or
Dish
Old 05-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #4

Wherever your bill or account address is your home area.
If you call you must use the term" Service Location" has changed.
Not your billing location.
Many times those Customer Service level 1 people have no idea what you are talking about.
Sometime you have to tell them you are in a RV and travelling around the country.
When your service area zip code/address of RV park is given you will get the closest big cities local channels. Unless you subscribed to the service that give you LA, NY or Dallas for more $ per month. It also depends on your location in the US.

Have fun full timing.
My biggest worry doing that is I die where will they send my body.....
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
If you are going to fulltime then you just change your address to whatever you are going to use for a permanent address, such as your mail forwarding service. For all your DirecTV channels, EXCEPT for local channels, geographically where you are located means nothing to the satellite. If your dish can "see" the satellite then it will work. Now for your locals: ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX and probably your local PBS are all spot beamed from the Satellite so when you travel a couple of hundred miles away from the zip code where your s&b was they will simply disappear. This is actually mandated by the FCC. The solution is to get Distant Network Service (DNS) from DirecTV. You will need to sign a waiver from the FCC that is provided by DirecTV saying you are now mobile. When you get the DNS NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX will be out of New York or Los Angeles. The DNS is an additional $5 a month but you can cancel your old locals and save that money. We been on this for a couple of years now.
Dish will have to tell you the same thing as DirecTV because it is Federal Law. Though I don't know what Dish does for ANY of the networks. And getting the DNS is a wash money wise as you can delete your S&B locals. Trust me, I looked at every aspect of this because I was thinking I was getting ripped off by Direct.

P.S. Quiet about this...secret...when we returned to our home turf...low and behold the old locals were still there! Haven't paid for them for way over a year.
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Old 05-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Wherever your bill or account address is your home area.
If you call you must use the term" Service Location" has changed.
Not your billing location.
Many times those Customer Service level 1 people have no idea what you are talking about.
Sometime you have to tell them you are in a RV and travelling around the country.
When your service area zip code/address of RV park is given you will get the closest big cities local channels. Unless you subscribed to the service that give you LA, NY or Dallas for more $ per month. It also depends on your location in the US.

Iggy...you are correct, Sir! When you call DirecTV you MUST ask for an individual that KNOWS what DNS is.
Have fun full timing.

My biggest worry doing that is I die where will they send my body.....
And when I kick the bucket I don't care where they send the body...I'm dead!
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Old 05-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #7

I just went thru this entire scenario with directv myself. I fought with them for three months before I finally got it straightened out. They tried to sell me a second home acct as well! Finally I got them to send me a standard receiver because I don't care about the local channels. Once I got the receiver and activated it everything worked perfectly!!
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote