Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
furnace

Here is a question, we have a 2013 Georgetown 378 XL, and its parked in the driveway, today started the gen and turn thermostat to furnace and set temp to 70 degrees,( propane is shut off) furnace never got warm fan ran can hear it running but did not get hot, Use furnace last fall when plug into 50amp and propane on. Here is my question on our old 2003 Winnebago you can run furnace on propane or elect. Is there a switches I'm missing for the furnace to run on gen? new to Forest River. HELP
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #2

don't know that particular model, but know on my Cruise Lite, it is only run on propane. The fan will run, but if you don't have the propane on, you won't get any heat.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Pete

we had 2010 378TS.

Ditto "the propane gas to be on".

We now have a Winnebago Adventurer. It has gas propane and electric heat.

HOWEVER, the electric heat you refer to in a Winnebago is a "heat pump"; not an "electric heat strip" that you would have in a residential electric furnace.
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Fireman

Pete you are right the Adventure we had did have a heat pump and on the thermostat switch it had elect or gas. so I guess this Forest River unit does not have the ability to run on elect only propane.
US Air Force Retire SMS
Old 03-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

Our 2013 378 XL has heat strips. Don't know if the furnace will run with the propane off or not but when we get our RV home this weekend I'll try it
As for the heat strips the thermostat has a "heat strip" position. It will, or should, turn the furnace fan off and the heat strip on that are in the a/c unit on top of the coach
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #6

Ya my furnace only produces heat from propane. The heat strips are in the roof air units. Have not used them for heat ever. Only use the furnace sparingly to take the chill off in the morning. Use an electric heater in the bedroom at night. But I have not camped in weather below 30.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
Fireman

Not sure what you mean by heat strips on thermostat. On my Domestic thermostat it has Fan, Air, Furnance , Plus and Minus signs
US Air Force Retire SMS
Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
Here is a question, we have a 2013 Georgetown 378 XL, and its parked in the driveway, today started the gen and turn thermostat to furnace and set temp to 70 degrees,( propane is shut off) furnace never got warm fan ran can hear it running but did not get hot, Use furnace last fall when plug into 50amp and propane on. Here is my question on our old 2003 Winnebago you can run furnace on propane or elect. Is there a switches I'm missing for the furnace to run on gen? new to Forest River. HELP
You need to turn on the propane, unless it's electric which I doubt.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #9

only runs on propane, if the t-stat only has fan/ac/furnace then it has no other heat device. It would say heat pump or heat strip. Heat strip is a heating coil which is inside the ac unit and when you turn it on acts like a blow dryer. not to good in warming the place up but can take the chill off. I found that restricting the flow of air coming out produces warmer air. The air blowing across the heat strip con not get warn enough unless by slowing it down. Hope this helps....
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #10

ya heat strips are not real efficient but work ok if the weather is not real cold. Nice to have if you run out of propane. Roof air units can come with or without heat strips. They can also be reverse cycle which also works best if the ambient temps are not real cold. If you order a new coach from the factory you can chose the options you want. When its on the dealer lot what you see is what you get. The reverse cycle heat pump is more expensive. It requires a reversing valve and additional control components.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace