Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #1

Furnace and electricity?

We are working out of our 2004 (new to us) Georgetown and last night in frigid conditions, our furnace shut off in the middle of the night. This morning I had to turn on the engine in order to start the generator and then start the furnace. I guess I have 2 problems, the generator is not starting on its own (without turning on the engine) and the furnace is not working without any power. I do know that the two coach batteries are new when we purchased it in October. Am I doing something wrong? I'm pretty sure I don't have anything but the phone charger connected to the engine battery overnight.
Thanks for any help!
nadjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #2

Furnace will pull lot of juice from house batteries, ergo gen did not have enough juice to crank without alt power from engine. You did not say if you were hooked to shore power or dry camping. I you do not have good insulation and dual pane windows, furnace runs longer and sucks batteries quickly.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #3

Also, check that you have more than 1/4 fuel in your tank. The furnace is designed to shut off when the chassis tank is at or lower than 1/4 tank. If you were hooked up to 30/50 amp electric service you should have had enough power to run it but I'm guessing you must have been dry camping?

I had following problem with my generator. My brushes were worn. It too would not start on it's own but after I replaced the brushes, I've not had any further problems. The brushes were not hard to replace, if that's what it ends up being. Save your self some major bucks and pull the brushes before taking to a service center.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy740 View Post
Also, check that you have more than 1/4 fuel in your tank. The furnace is designed to shut off when the chassis tank is at or lower than 1/4 tank. If you were hooked up to 30/50 amp electric service you should have had enough power to run it but I'm guessing you must have been dry camping?

I had following problem with my generator. My brushes were worn. It too would not start on it's own but after I replaced the brushes, I've not had any further problems. The brushes were not hard to replace, if that's what it ends up being. Save your self some major bucks and pull the brushes before taking to a service center.

Good luck.
The Generator not the Furnace will shut off when your Gas Tank gets below 1/4 Tank.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadjap View Post
We are working out of our 2004 (new to us) Georgetown and last night in frigid conditions, our furnace shut off in the middle of the night. This morning I had to turn on the engine in order to start the generator and then start the furnace. I guess I have 2 problems, the generator is not starting on its own (without turning on the engine) and the furnace is not working without any power. I do know that the two coach batteries are new when we purchased it in October. Am I doing something wrong? I'm pretty sure I don't have anything but the phone charger connected to the engine battery overnight.
Thanks for any help!
Are you sure the Coach Disconnect Switch wasn't clicked off? If so the furnace will run until the batteries draw down and then shut off. The Generator won't crank very much to start and if the generator did start the batteries would not charge with the switch in the off position. Just push the top of the switch to engage the circuit. The switch stays lit whether it's On or Off so it can be found in the dark. You may need to run the engine to charge the batteries quicker than the Generator.

to the forums!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #6

MY bad, for some reason I was thinking he was running the generator and it stopped along with the furnace.