Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #1

Furnace problem

I have a 2008 373 DS. Two weekends ago we were camping and the furnace worked great. This past weekend we turned it on and nothing. When we push up the temp I can hear a click down where the unit is located, however, the fan will not come on. I've check the fuse panel under the entry step and back in the bedroom. Is there another fuse or panel that I am not aware of?

Tim
TJRoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

In the furnace plenum there is a flapper ("sail" switch) that closes a switch when the furnace calls for heat. The blower MUST run in order to move the flapper. A fire hazard would exist if the furnace was allowed to fire without the blower running.

I attached the Suburban manual.

Things that need to work to fire the propane (in order):

1) The thermostat needs to "call for heat" - it does

2) The furnace control board must route power to the blower - The fan MUST start to fire the propane - unknown - is the fan running?

3) Once the fan is turning, the "sail" switch must close to route power to the propane solenoid valve to let propane into the fire chamber - do you smell gas outside? Is there voltage at the solenoid?

4) The air fuel mixture must be right for ignition. Mud daubers, dust, and dirt can clog the orifice and air inlets on the burner tube to yield an over -rich mixture, too rich to light.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf suburbantech.pdf (804.8 KB, 30 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #3

The fan is not running at all. When the temp is pushed above the room temp there is a click that is heard down in the furnace compartment, however, the fan will not come one.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Sounds like it might be the blower start relay.
There is a relay that takes the low power signal from the thermostat and routes higher current 12VDC to the blower motor.

The relay is easier to test and change than the blower motor, so I would start there.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #5

Furnace

We had the same issue two weeks ago when campling in north GA. We have a 2010 Rockwood Signature Ultralite with a Suburban brand furnace. The tech from our dealer talked me through a reset sequence. If you take the fron grill off and then the front metal cover plate, there is a on/off switch on the side where the wires go in. Turn that off nad on a coupld of time while the thermostat in on and the heat is turned up. If this does not work there is a reset button on the front of the unit. It is a black dot that is flush with the panel. Push that and hopefully it will start. Try this combination of the on/off and reset button a couple of times. It finally worked for me. The side switch was a little tricky to get to but the furnace has round pop out holes that can be taken out when you allign the metal tabs correctly. Good luck.
Time2Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #6

I'm def going to try that reset button. FR mounted the furnace under a cabinet with no inside access. I started to take the out side grill and exhaust cover off at the campground this past weekend but, quickly became frustrated. Thanks for the tip