Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Arvicru

Furnace question

Hello to all,
I had a question on my furnace. When I am at home camping or summer camping and have to use my furnace it comes on right away and will come on with my thermostat setting. I am in Zion, Utah right now and have to turn my furnace on/off 6-7 times to finally get it to light, and then if I set my thermostat to a set temp. it won't come back on unless I toggle it on/off again. Is there anything I am doing wrong??

Thanks,
Arvicru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to the Suburban furnace trouble-shooting guide from the forum library for you to look at... Forest River Forums - Downloads - Furnace - Suburban furnace troubleshooting

It could be one of many issues. The problem you describe I've seen when opening or switching propane bottles. Even though I've filled the line and lit the stove, it still takes a few (or more) tries to get the furnace to light.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #3

It sounds like it's failing to light, tries several times, and then locks out until you reset it (by having the thermostat tell it to turn off).

If you listen at the outside vent when someone turns it on, do you hear clicking (spark) and then does it light and go out,or not light at all?

If you have a bug screen over the outside vent, take that off and see if it helps.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Arvicru

No clicking at first. It is working fine now, maybe there was air or moisture in the line
Thanks for all of the input.
Arvicru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
It sounds like it's failing to light, tries several times, and then locks out until you reset it (by having the thermostat tell it to turn off).

If you listen at the outside vent when someone turns it on, do you hear clicking (spark) and then does it light and go out,or not light at all?

If you have a bug screen over the outside vent, take that off and see if it helps.
Where do you get the info that a bug screen causes a problem?
Old 11-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
http://www.rvcomfort.com/suburban/se..._questions.php
Click on the question about bug screens.

It's also in the manual for the heaters.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Airxcel | Suburban Manufacturing Service
Click on the question about bug screens.

It's also in the manual for the heaters.
Interesting, have used them on every trailer we've had (9) since 1976 and never had a problem.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
The suburban install manual says no screens. Of at least the one I have says so. I personally cannot see where this could ever cause a problem.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
The suburban install manual says no screens. Of at least the one I have says so. I personally cannot see where this could ever cause a problem.
Me either, I think they are reaching on that one. Sure would like to see some actual data proving it.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
and then if I set my thermostat to a set temp. it won't come back on unless I toggle it on/off again.
When I bought my Roo last year, it was doing the same thing. The furnace would fire up the first time, but then not again unless the thermostat was toggled. What seems odd is that there are only 2 wires that are connected together when the switch in the thermostat closes to start the furnace and when the wires are disconnected, it turns the furnace off. What could be simpler? Anyway, I replaced the chintzy Suburban thermostat with a Honeywell RTH111 digital and it's worked fine ever since. I can't explain it, except maybe dirty contacts don't allow enough current to flow when the switch closes.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
When I bought my Roo last year, it was doing the same thing. The furnace would fire up the first time, but then not again unless the thermostat was toggled. What seems odd is that there are only 2 wires that are connected together when the switch in the thermostat closes to start the furnace and when the wires are disconnected, it turns the furnace off. What could be simpler? Anyway, I replaced the chintzy Suburban thermostat with a Honeywell RTH111 digital and it's worked fine ever since. I can't explain it, except maybe dirty contacts don't allow enough current to flow when the switch closes.
When I first joined here there was a series of threads about replacing bad thermostats, could this be a recurrence?
Old 11-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I agree- but if I were having a problem with something, the first thing that I would do is flip through the book and see what kinds of things that they recommend against that I'm possibly doing. If it takes all of 45 seconds to remove a couple of screens, why not?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
We had a similar experience and replaced the chintzy thermostat. We found that by tapping the thermostat it would cause the furnace to work; suspect similar to toggling...

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I agree- but if I were having a problem with something, the first thing that I would do is flip through the book and see what kinds of things that they recommend against that I'm possibly doing. If it takes all of 45 seconds to remove a couple of screens, why not?
Agree to a certain point, but the open style screens (that are sold by the thousands) could prevent a furnace from staying lighted defies logic. They are a very open mesh.
New Mud Dauber Furnace Screen for RV camper motorhome 5th Wheel M 300 | eBay

As I posted before, would like to see some actual hard data supporting this statement in the manuals.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #15

Agree 100% Coot. I would think the Dauber's could and would far more damage than a wire mesh screen.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Always Learning

You're both missing what I'm suggesting- I think that it's a temporary test to see if this is the or part of the problem. If it fixes the issue, then debate putting then back on. If it doesn't fix the issue, you're only out a few minutes of time and effort.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
You're both missing what I'm suggesting- I think that it's a temporary test to see if this is the or part of the problem. If it fixes the issue, then debate putting then back on. If it doesn't fix the issue, you're only out a few minutes of time and effort.
Not at all, it's just such a ridiculous statement saying a screen on the outside of the camper will influence the burner/gas valve functioning properly.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Not at all, it's just such a ridiculous statement saying a screen on the outside of the camper will influence the burner/gas valve functioning properly.
Given that our answer is "RTFM" for so many other things - so I don't know why we would instantly demand "more data" for this one. Suburban wouldn't just randomly add something to their manual, IMO.

As well, I don't think we should instantly dismiss it just because it worked for you for your 130 years of camping.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #19

A screen added to the outside intake/exhaust of the furnace that is designed for it will most likely have little effect on air flow. Add enough contamination to it (dirt, grease lint etc etc) to it and it might reduce air flow enough to affect the sail switch from closing or the over temperature disk in the burner section might open, thus a malfunctinning furnace....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Given that our answer is "RTFM" for so many other things - so I don't know why we would instantly demand "more data" for this one. Suburban wouldn't just randomly add something to their manual, IMO.

As well, I don't think we should instantly dismiss it just because it worked for you for your 130 years of camping.
Doug, just stop and think about what they are stating that a pc of screen wire on the outside of the trailer causes a malfunction in an electrically energized gas valve inside the furnace. It defies logic and common sense. Just because Suburban published it doesn't make it fact. Like "it's on the internet, so it has to be true."

Tags
furnace