Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #1

Furnace Squeal

Hi all! I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a new 2014 Georgetown XL 377 the end of July. The front furnace has a squeal for 15-20 seconds when the burner kicks on (not the fan). The rear furnace is fine.

I talked to the technician at the dealer and he said that new ones frequently do that the first couple times, but then it goes away. I told him it wasn't going away after at least twenty cycles. He thought it might be air leaks as the metal expands with the heat and suggested trying aluminum tape on seams that are leaking. I did that without success.

Anyone else run into this or have a suggestion before I drive it around a hundred miles to the nearest dealer (not where I bought it) for warranty service?

Thanks
Ron
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How can you be sure it isn't the blower?
The blower is the first thing to come on before the furnace lights. Correct?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #3

I agree with turbo... On my older TT the blower kicked on before the heat...
Old 08-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #4

I do remember when I changed my water heater... I didn't adjust the flame correctly and it would howl/ squeak ... Tech told me to adjust the flame.. Didn't help but eventually went away...good luck
Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyRon View Post
Hi all! I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a new 2014 Georgetown XL 377 the end of July. The front furnace has a squeal for 15-20 seconds when the burner kicks on (not the fan). The rear furnace is fine.

I talked to the technician at the dealer and he said that new ones frequently do that the first couple times, but then it goes away. I told him it wasn't going away after at least twenty cycles. He thought it might be air leaks as the metal expands with the heat and suggested trying aluminum tape on seams that are leaking. I did that without success.

Anyone else run into this or have a suggestion before I drive it around a hundred miles to the nearest dealer (not where I bought it) for warranty service?

Thanks
Ron
What seams? If your heat exchanger is leaking you are letting carbon monoxide in your trailer.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
How can you be sure it isn't the blower?
The blower is the first thing to come on before the furnace lights. Correct?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

Hi Turbo. I haven't completely written off the blower. You are correct that the blower comes on first and runs quietly for about 30 seconds before the burner ignites. After the burner ignites and it starts heating up for 10 or 15 seconds, the squeal starts. That's why the technician thought it might be air leakage through the duct work as it heats. It might be the heat is affecting the blower also. Don't know. Thanks for the reply.

Ron
Old 08-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
What seams? If your heat exchanger is leaking you are letting carbon monoxide in your trailer.

The seams that I referred to are around the box that the duct work connects to, not the heat exchanger.

Thanks, appreciate the warning.

Ron
Old 08-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjester View Post
I do remember when I changed my water heater... I didn't adjust the flame correctly and it would howl/ squeak ... Tech told me to adjust the flame.. Didn't help but eventually went away...good luck

Thanks Speedjester. I did have one guy tell me that it could be caused by an incorrect gas/air mixture at the burner.

Ron

Tags
furnace