Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran RV Owner

Garmin RV660LMT on Sale at Amazon

I just order one today for my coach! They are on sale at Amazon for $247.01..

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-RV-660...EXVX8CFXJDDAD5
Old 01-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

nice deal!

found it in Canada on sale too.

https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-RV-660L...=Garmin+660LMT

must be a new model coming.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #3

Lots of reviews on that thing about the Motor Home feature not working.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran RV Owner

Got mine today. Loading map and software updates on it now. I will test it out next week in the coach!
Old 01-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
2018 31L5

Got Mine Too

Tried it out on my maiden trip in 2018 Georgetown 5 and it blew the fuses for both dash power points. Haven't been able to replace them yet and don't know what the issue is.
bobotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #6

I just checked the reviews on Amazon. Looking back to 2015/16, most of the reviews are terrible. When you check out the newer reviews, 2017 and a few 2018 already, they are almost all 4 or 5 stars. Seems to me Garmin has maybe upgraded the GPS. I've been interested in upgrading my Magellan RV945 for a couple of years now. That unit had terrible reviews, especially on operation which I concur, but the darn thing has been incredible with few wayward back road trips. And I only paid $127 for it four or five years ago. Because of the Magellans destination entry and limited POI etc., I may go home from work today and use my Amazon Gift Card towards the purchase of the 660. At $247 that's about as good of a RV GPS as your going to get. Doesn't matter if it is this forum or others, or Amazon reviews, none of them are listed as perfect as doing everything for everybody.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #7

Have the RV760 for a couple of years now. No complaints, has worked well for me.
Prior I had a Magellan which I really didn’t care for. It even got me in trouble one time. Sent me down a very narrow road with some low passages that I barely made it under.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #8

Bought the 660 two years ago. Love it. Been from east coast to west coast twice with no problems. Paid 340.00 for it back then. Biggest thing is to make sure you update it often.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Bought the 660 two years ago. Love it. Been from east coast to west coast twice with no problems. Paid 340.00 for it back then. Biggest thing is to make sure you update it often.

When my new 660 showed up, it took nearly two hours to update software and maps. It is now up to date! I think it will also update through the Bluetooth connection to my iPhone also. So, I may not need to connect it to my PC again anytime soon.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #10

Mines ordered!
Old 01-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #11

As promised my Garmin was shipped and delivered in a couple of days. However, I had to send it back to Amazon, not because there was anything wrong with the Garmin, but upon checking Amazon again they had the price reduced to $199.99! Couldn't find any links on Amazon like a 30 day price guarantee or such to just get a price adjustment. So I just asked for a return label, stated reason; it was cheaper on Amazon, took it Friday to the local UPS store and Saturday my "new" one was delivered. Net savings, $42 after having to pay for the returned unit, don't know why.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:25 PM   #12

Curious... What makes this a great GPS for rv ers?
bclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #13

You can set your RV's height (bridges and over passes), total length (tight turns and narrow roads) weight (weight restrictions) and propane on board (tunnels with propane restrictions). No GPS is perfect based on the reviews of them on this and other forums, along with reviews on Amazon where I bought mine. My previous GPS which I still have, a Magellan RV945 got terrible reviews when I bought it around 5 years ago. However, I was planning a trip to Atlanta, Nashville and Pigeon Forge and found the Magellan online for $127 delivered. If worked flawlessly that trip and pretty much has performed excellently for us. I bought the Garmin because one, the price was right at $199, two it is newer with more features and three which is probably my number one reason is ease of use over the Magellan.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #14

Generally naive question here.

I don't understand why standalone GPSs exist still in a world with smartphone GPS. Is there a reason why an iPhone or Android with Google maps won't work?

I understand that RV specific GPSs exist for height/weight/length restrictions, but surely an app can solve this issue without spending $200 plus on a self-contained unit.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #15

Perhaps there is an app, I'm pretty sure I have read forum threads speaking of them. However, a GPS guided by satellite is a much more secure signal vs. cell tower reception, especially very rural or mountainous areas. I do use my phone GPS to run Waze for traffic tie ups, radar, road debris etc. Also, Garmin has a 6" screen. Again, at $199 it was doable for me. I've looked around for a couple of years at various units but I wasn't paying $350-$450 for one. I would've continued using the Magellan and phone.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Generally naive question here.

I don't understand why standalone GPSs exist still in a world with smartphone GPS. Is there a reason why an iPhone or Android with Google maps won't work?

I understand that RV specific GPSs exist for height/weight/length restrictions, but surely an app can solve this issue without spending $200 plus on a self-contained unit.
If you can stick to the well-worn paths, then yes, a phone-based app can work fine (there are trucker-type apps for the phone, which work). However, most don't work well (or at all) without a network connection. So, if you go to the sticks, you might be SOL.

I like to be able to use the GPS, in spite of what my phone is doing. I have enough to keep me busy, just towing the trailer, without the need to mess with the phone, too.

Smart Truck Route II is a really good app. It can work without a network connection, but you need to download the maps to your phone before you lose your connection, or you will have major issues.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Perhaps there is an app, I'm pretty sure I have read forum threads speaking of them. However, a GPS guided by satellite is a much more secure signal vs. cell tower reception, especially very rural or mountainous areas. I do use my phone GPS to run Waze for traffic tie ups, radar, road debris etc. Also, Garmin has a 6" screen. Again, at $199 it was doable for me. I've looked around for a couple of years at various units but I wasn't paying $350-$450 for one. I would've continued using the Magellan and phone.
Except phone DO use GPS satellites, and only use cell tower reception for data.

I have an app however that just stores my map data, so it relies on the GPS satellites, and zero cell towers.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #18

Actually my phone has a built in GPS so it doesn't NEED cell towers for GPS Satellite reception. It will use either.

As to the reason, my 760 is just more robust. Bigger. Shows a TON of data no phone shows. Altitude. Time to destination. Distance to destination. On and on. Easy to read, lot of data on one screen. Plus, it has Campgrounds in it, just pick one and hit "GO".

My truck has built in GPS but it's not very robust and hard to enter destinations.

And my phone is bluetoothed to the truck radio. If I was using for GPS and got a call, the call has priority. Inconvenient.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote