Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #1

Gas saving mods on your Georgetown

What have you done to your Georgetown to save gas and money at the pump. I am new to the class A and would like ideas to save gas and money. There are alot of prducts out there that they sell but what really works to save gas.
texasgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The best way to save gas is never turn the key in the ignition. All kidding aside, you'll never save enough in gas to pay for all the "gimmicks" you could buy, that don't do anything but add weight. Save your money to buy gas with. That's my two cents, others will have theirs.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Best way to save gas is stick to the speed limit. Anything over 65 constantly and the fuel is just flowing through. Set up your hills, get a good run at them so you have the momentum to get to the top without needing to floor it.
I bought the Banks Cold Air Intake System, big K&N Air Cleaner set-up. Didn't buy it for the thought of saving gas. I wanted it to help when climbing hills for a better response without turning 4500 RPMs to maintain speed. So far I'm very pleased with it. My RPMs are lower when climbing the hills but it goes back to setting up that climb also. I believe I've gotten better as a driver doing this. Oh course there's always that one other driver that will cut right in front of you and slow down. Momentum goes out the window. This is where the Banks kit helps.

Only sure fire way to save gas- Windrider stated it - Don't turn the key, but that's not what we bought these things for.

I fill up at the cheapest priced gas station when I'm close to home. Last week, Shell station in Hanover PA was $2.51, closer to my home the cheapest was $2.61. I bought 65 gallons. There's $6.50 in savings.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #4

Motorhomes get what motorhomes get for mileage and there is not much you can do to help it in the way of modifications. As stated above, keep the speed below 65 (I prefer 60) and keep the load as light as possible.

I preplan our trips and load accordingly. If I have to climb one of our passes and I know we will have hookups on the other side where we are going then I will carry very little water in the water tank and minimal fuel to get me over the pass and to a gas station on the other side. That way I am not carrying all that weight over the hills. Keep the load as light as possible and if you don't need a car then don't take the toad.

Gas saving gimmicks will drain your pocket book quicker than the motorhome can so save your money for the gas pump.

Oh yeah, don't look at the reciept either.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote