Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Progressive 50 AMP Portable Protector

Since obtaining our 2011 Georgetown 360F back in September I've been able to increase my knowledge about class A rigs extensively while reading various articles contained within this wonderful Forum, but nowhere have I read any posts that deal with a particular issue dealing with Progressive 50 AMP EMS protectors. I'm considering purchasing the portable one that receives the male plug on the end of my shoreline if I can determine that it will resolve my problems.
I've had a 50 AMP plug in installed on the outside rear wall of my home, however our rig is parked 80/90 feet away (due to the lay of the land). My question is, if I purchase the portable 50 AMP surge protector from Progressive and plug it into the outlet on my home, then plug a 50 AMP to 30 AMP adapter into the surge protector, and proceed to further connect 2 (two) 30 ft 30 AMP RV extension cords plus another 30 AMP to 50 AMP adapter, then plugging in my 50 AMP shoreline plug from my rig, all this said and done - will the Progressive EMS product protect our rig and its electrical contents as advertised by Progressive? Sure could use some advice.

gca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou
The short answer is yes. The surge suppressor will certainly protect your camper from damaging surges even when wired as you describe.

However the devil is in the details.

Your wall outlet is protected to 50 amps on both legs of the service by the 220 volt 50 amp breaker feeding the outlet.

Your camper is capable of demanding 50 amps on each leg without tripping any circuit breakers.

1) Neither your camper's main breakers nor your wall outlet breakers have a way of knowing that there is a 30 amp limit based on the small gauge extension cords you are putting in the middle. Overheating of the cable and melting of the connecting blades is certainly possible and may even be inevitable without careful load monitoring with this set up.

2) You are also going to lose one leg of your 50 amp service. Any items on the "second" leg (typically a second air conditioner) will not function at all and the items on the "primary" leg must be carefully monitored such that they never try to pull more than about 25 amps (due to voltage loss in the long run) to avoid overheating your cables.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
If you watch Camping World they run their 50amp 30' cord ON SALE.

It's on "internet sale" for $139 right now... WE DIDN'T pay that much at the Ft. Worth store.

2012 Georgetown 360
SHE wanted "a new motorhome"
abjb is offline   Reply With Quote