Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #1

Gen Autostart

So... coming over from a trailer to a Class A, there's a little bit of a learning curve. From a generator perspective, can you run off of house batteries and when they get low the generator will kick in to recharge / supplement? Or am I just "pie in the sky" wishing that was a real feature?

Chris
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

First off, congrats on your transformation!!!!!

As with all questions, we can hope to assist anyone with their questions by making sure you provide a detailed description of what your trouble is, and above all, clearly identify the year, make and model of the unit you're having trouble with.

That said.......I'm guessing your situation is NOT specific to your situation, MOST if not all rigs that have a generator, quite often utilize the actual batteries you are mentioning to start the generator itself. If you are dry camping, that means powering your needs straight off the house batteries, it is up to you to monitor their state of charge. This can be done with an on-board monitor system in some rigs, or constructing some form of monitoring system. If they approach a somewhat lower voltage level, you would start the generator, to re-charge the batteries. You could also just choose to run the generator (if noise is not an issue) and power your appliances off the batteries and 110V appliances of the converter from the generator.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #3

I think that is "pie in the sky". Great idea, but I don't think that feature is available, at least I am not aware of it. Sure would be nice to have the generator auto start when the coach batteries get low.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMSNT View Post
So... coming over from a trailer to a Class A, there's a little bit of a learning curve. From a generator perspective, can you run off of house batteries and when they get low the generator will kick in to recharge / supplement? Or am I just "pie in the sky" wishing that was a real feature?

Chris
Yes a relay system is available to buy.
Here is one that I know about.
ME-AGS-N [ME-AGS-N] - $263.00 : RV Power Parts Plus, Discount store for all your RV & Marine Electrical needs. Featuring the most trusted Manufacturers in the industry: Iota DLS Converters, Transfer Switches, Magnum Energy Inverters, Parallax Power C

Hope this is what you are thinking.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #5

Thanks everyone on your thoughts. I've modified my signature line now so the year and model will be posted every time. :-) (Forum 101 newbie error for not modifying the signature!)

My thoughts are, when driving down the road, none of the outlets and things (i.e. TV, fridge, etc.) work. Correct? I have a residential fridge so I'm trying to figure out how that's going to stay on while I'm driving. Mind you, I've just picked this up and haven't done my first voyage yet however starting all the planning and such.

My understanding is that the power will be off unless I turn on the inverter. Such that, the batteries will only last about 4 or so hours. I'm driving down the road, batteries go dead, and I'm unaware of it. If there was some sort of sensor, the generator would kick in while I'm driving to power those batteries back up.

Am I misunderstanding all of the electrical and how it functions? I'm a bit fuzzy on the inverter and how that all works still! *blush*

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #6

Pie in the sky = reality :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I think that is "pie in the sky". Great idea, but I don't think that feature is available, at least I am not aware of it. Sure would be nice to have the generator auto start when the coach batteries get low.
I read the manual and on Page 38 there's a reference to AGS (Automatic Generator Start System). It states "Some coaches are manufactured with them...". I guess I'm to assume that mine isn't? :-) How does one know??

Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Anything electrical, that uses a 110V power plug, big TV, microwave, residential fridge, or anything plugged into the outlets throughout the motorhome, needs the generator as you drive down the road.

Your ceiling lights, any Georgetown under cabinet lights, all run off 12V and the house batteries..........usually located under the entry steps.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks everyone on your thoughts. I've modified my signature line now so the year and model will be posted every time. :-) (Forum 101 newbie error for not modifying the signature!)

My thoughts are, when driving down the road, none of the outlets and things (i.e. TV, fridge, etc.) work. Correct? I have a residential fridge so I'm trying to figure out how that's going to stay on while I'm driving. Mind you, I've just picked this up and haven't done my first voyage yet however starting all the planning and such.

My understanding is that the power will be off unless I turn on the inverter. Such that, the batteries will only last about 4 or so hours. I'm driving down the road, batteries go dead, and I'm unaware of it. If there was some sort of sensor, the generator would kick in while I'm driving to power those batteries back up.

Am I misunderstanding all of the electrical and how it functions? I'm a bit fuzzy on the inverter and how that all works still! *blush*

Your refrigerator runs off of your coach batteries and uses a convertor mounted below the refrigerator. It will convert 12 volt battery power to 120 volts AC while you are on the road. I think it only converts the outlet for the refrigerator and nothing else. It usually is a 1,000 watt convertor.

My Georgetown has an dash swith that I can start my generator while driving. Do you have that?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #9

Okay... great data points and I'm still investigating my own coach! I do have a Xantrex PROwatt SW Sine Wave Inverter with a remote switch near the entry door. So, Iggy, to your point... it'll run off the batteries until they're dead? This is where I'm getting a bit confused.

I found another thread here so I know the technology is around and I'm not crazy. I guess ours do not come with them for expense reasons maybe? http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ols-30049.html

Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Okay... great data points and I'm still investigating my own coach! I do have a Xantrex PROwatt SW Sine Wave Inverter with a remote switch near the entry door. So, Iggy, to your point... it'll run off the batteries until they're dead? This is where I'm getting a bit confused.

I found another thread here so I know the technology is around and I'm not crazy. I guess ours do not come with them for expense reasons maybe? http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ols-30049.html
Your refrigerator doesn't draw that much while on battery and travelling to campground. You do must have well maintained batteries. Our Georgetowns don't have that little box but for a small amount of dollars you can have one too.
I have a friend that wishes his refrigerator was 12 volt DC or propane.
That is what I have in my 2012 but 2013 and beyond they decided on a residential model.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #11

The resi fridge will run off the invertor, and my understanding is that the engine will somewhat charge the house batteries while running. Could be wrong but that's my understanding. HOWEVER - as stated pretty much everything else requires the generator. If the kids want to watch DVDs in the bunks, etc, you'll have the generator running anyway.

The generator burns about 1/2 gallon an hour, or about $1.75 an hour. In the little time we've had our MH, the generator has been running most of the time we're driving. As someone stated in another thread, if you were worried about fuel consumption, you shouldn't have bought a motorhome LOL

If the house batteries do die, there is the battery boost switch on the dash which will allow you to jump it from the motor batteries.
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #12

Chris

I forgot to mention that the house batteries get charged when driving after the engine battery is fully charged. So the two battereis probably wouldn't go down while driving any reasonable time or distance. The engine alternator and charging system takes over on l;ong runs.
Hope this helps and ask away any other querstions you may have or need an answer for.
Again welcome and don''t forget.. and use your Georgetown...
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #13

As others have said, no your generator will not automatically start when the house batteries are low. However you can configure most battery monitors to do this. Here is the thread I posted about installing my battery monitor.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-10227.html
Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #14

One point about generators and house batteries. The house batteries are used to start the generator, so if they are too low, you can't start the generator to recharge them. However, you can start the chassis engine and its alternator will provide enough power to start the generator. You can then shut off the chassis engine.

An automatic controller connects the house and chassis batteries when the voltage of either system is high enough to charge the other. In other words, the house system will keep the chassis battery charged when the house system is charged, and vice versa.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
ME

It still kills me that while driving down the road nothing works! Not one stinkin outlet, TV, don't even think about the microwave SO get a converter and it will work.

Which can be a $1000 to $5000 not to mention possibly giving up a cabinet or storage space and the cash. Well our $50 our plug in inverter charges our cell phones but not much else.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #16

Well I must have lucked out. All my plugs work while driving and not running gen. The microwave dose not turn on buy that's ok. I have had friends watch the tv while I was driving so someone must have added a good converter to my motorhome in the past!
Frank4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #17

Are the refrigerator batteries the same as the house batts? I have a friend with an Itasca DP that has a seperate batty bank for the refrig invertor and gen auto start.

When his gen starts it is started using the "normal" house batts.

I have also heard of set ups that simply added a few batts to the coach batty pack to provide more amp hours.

Just a thought.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #18

Check your documentation carefully, I know the Berks with residential fridge came with an auto start for the generator if the batteries begin to fade, reason? they don't want your food to fade too! Makes good sense, I believe the thread was about being able to defeat this system for storage etc. Auto wouldn't know the fridge is in service or not. Suspect Georgetowns probably have the same start with the res. fridge.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #19

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments. I started the thread as a new Georgetown owner not knowing the capabilities or features of my new motorhome. I do have a residential fridge but fairly certain no AGS. I'm going to be bringing my rig to the house today to take some hi-red photos and I'll look again today. Again, thanks everyone!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #20

Not to rehash this thread however I'm sitting in my coach as we speak. I've tried a few things. Long in short, the residential fridge only turns on when the generator is on (or on shore power, of course). I'm not sure how you guys are getting your residential fridges to run off batteries but I'd LOVE to be enlightened! Even when the motor is on, the fridge does NOT turn on. Am I missing a step or is this the way it's supposed to work?

EDIT - ANSWER FOUND! Okay, I went into the bay out the outside of the rig. The one which has a little circle that you unscrew. Within there is an inverter. For the heck of it, I hit the reset button on it. BAM! Residential fridge is now running off of batteries via inverter! SWEET!

http://sdrv.ms/Y4zwxb

http://sdrv.ms/186HNSL