Old 06-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #21

From Onan:

1. If possible, measure the field (rotor) resistance before and after cleaning the slip rings. This will give you an indication of how dirty they are and if there are any remaining problems after cleaning. On most Onan BGE, NHE (Emerald III) & NHM (Marquis) models that have an electronic voltage regulator, measure 23-26 ohms between pins 9 and 10 of the regulator plug, or better yet, across the brass slip rings. Refer to the appropriate OEM service manual for exact field resistance values for your model.

2. Turn off the generatorís circuit breaker as a precaution to protect the external circuit from any voltage transients that could be produced during the cleaning process.

3. Clear the area in the vicinity of the rear of the generator by moving wires, etc. out of the way so that there is clear access to the end bell cooling slots.

4. Make sure that the lighting in the work area is adequate to clearly see the slip rings. Donít try to work in the dark as damage to the tool and generator could result. The tool is made of non-conducting materials so there is no shorting or electrical shock hazard.

5. If the slip rings are severely worn or contaminated, start with the COARSE (180 grit) stone. When polishing or removing a light tarnish, use only the FINE (320 grit) stone.

6. Use the rearmost slot for access to the rear slip ring and the next slot forward for the forward slip ring. A slight angle is necessary because the cooling slots do not line up exactly with the slip rings.
7. Start the engine and allow the speed to stabilize. <!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->
8. Carefully insert the tool through the rear cooling slot until the proper stone is positioned directly below the rear slip ring. (See photo below).
CAUTION: DO NOT allow the end of the tool to contact any part of the rotor except the slip ring being cleaned.
Bring the stone into contact with the slip ring and apply a slight upward pressure. Move the stone from side to side across the slip ring until wear patterns and contamination are removed. If the COARSE stone was used, turn the tool over and repeat the procedure with the FINE stone until the slip ring is polished.

9. Repeat the above procedure for the forward slip ring using the next forward cooling slot for access. Turn the circuit breaker back on after slip ring cleaning is completed.

10. TIP: While cleaning the slip rings, move the tool in or out periodically to avoid a heavy buildup of metal or contaminants in one spot on the stone. After use, the stones may cleaned with detergent and water and a stiff bristle brush. Mineral spirits, petroleum-based parts cleaning fluid or isopropyl alcohol may also be used but do not soak.

Avoid strong solvents such as toluene, lacquer thinner (acetone), MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), methlyene chloride or TCE

I think that you are, due to experience, a better source than these guys.

After looking at the condition of the slip-rings (somewhat pitted), I'm going to replace them ($75.00), and
the top bearing, just to be sure, and do the 1,000 hour service while I'm at it.

The generator is very important to us, as my wife suffers from a neuro-muscular disease, and has to be in a tempurature-constant envirnnment.

1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #22

From VinceU: Don't treat the result, find the cause.

Should be everyone's troubleshooting mantra!

1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
Old 06-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #23

You got some great advice from Onan, seemingly it will eliminate both the field and regulator from the cause column. Also appears if you have any strange findings they can certainly help coach you through it. Many of our smaller gen sets were Cummins diesels and generators, always found them helpful. All the best.........
Old 06-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #24

Thanks!

I keep posting as I'm going along here, hoping to help some other poor soul later on. I

I posted the Marquis 5500 service manual in the files, and will post the parts manual post haste.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
Based on this I just ordered myself a spare brush block with brushes. For $35 figure it's better to have a spare around.
I was incorrect. Maybe I just remembered wrong or maybe this new brush block I just got in the mail is different. But the bushes are arched on the end so that they'll fit the collars.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
I was incorrect. Maybe I just remembered wrong or maybe this new brush block I just got in the mail is different. But the bushes are arched on the end so that they'll fit the collars.

Nope. The first set that I bought wasn't arced, either. Maybe Onan found a wee problem? The instructions say to just put 'em in, and they'll seat themselves.

Also, some of the pics on line show the flat-faced brushes.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #27

For those of you following this thread, I decided to try one more thing before dropping the genny; I bought a "Slip Stick" slip ring cleaning/polishing tool. It worked!

I've started the generator five times without a bubble, checked the brushes and they look fine, and re-inspected the slip rings. They look great!

Will they last? Who knows, but we'll see after we run this thing for 3-4 days almost straight through next week.

The "Slip Stick" is a Lucite rod about a foot long, and 1/4" square, with abrasive material on two sides, a rough 180 grit on one side, and a smoother 220 grit on the other side. It's flexible, so hard to get too much pressure, and the perfect size to fit through the cooling holes in the genny.

I spent about two minutes on each ring, and they look like new! Apparently there's quite a bit of copper on these guys, so my earlier efforts didn't ruin them (Thanks, Onan!).

Altogether I'm in to this repair for less than $100.00, and I didn't have to take the MoHo anywhere!

I bought the brushes and the Slip Stick from ASAP in Lebanon, PA, and after checking, found their pricing to be very competitive.

Go to: A.S.A.P. to order.

As I stated before, with the DW's condition, the generator is a necessity for me, and I'm very happy to get it going, hopefully reliably, again!

I will, from now on, carry an extra brush block ($30), a Slip Stick ($21.95), and a 10-mm spin-tite with a 10" extension.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post

Altogether I'm in to this repair for less than $100.00, and I didn't have to take the MoHo anywhere!

I bought the brushes and the Slip Stick from ASAP in Lebanon, PA, and after checking, found their pricing to be very competitive.

Go to: A.S.A.P. to order.

As I stated before, with the DW's condition, the generator is a necessity for me, and I'm very happy to get it going, hopefully reliably, again!

I will, from now on, carry an extra brush block ($30), a Slip Stick ($21.95), and a 10-mm spin-tite with a 10" extension.
Great! If it works out for you it may save yourself and others some big money.....