Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

Generator fuel level

I have a 2014 Georgetown XL 378 we bought last August. Initially I had issues with the generator not wanting to run due to the oil level being "over full". I rectified that and it's run quite consistently ever since.
My issue now is while boondocking, the generator will not stay running if the fuel level in the coach drops below one needle width below half on the fuel gauge. This past weekend when we arrived on Friday our rig had "half a tank" indicated on the dash. Saturday morning we started the generator to charge the batteries from overnight use and it quit 30 minutes later, and would not restart. After checking for codes on the generator, priming the generator and still nothing, I dropped the coach off the levelers and it started right up and continued to run until we shut it off. I re leveled the coach and sure enough, it would not run.
So my question is, can the generator feed be relocated lower in the fuel tank to a more manageable level? I guess it's not that big of a pain for the shutoff to be 1/2 tank, but 1/4 tank would be a bit more realistic.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #2

If you can get to the generator fuel pickup in the tank you should be able to replace it with a longer one. I did on my boat because even with half of a tank of fuel the run angle on plane would cause the generator to stop (ran solely off the starboard tank). I extended it to near the bottom of the tank because a had twin tanks with a full crossover system.

Tags
fuel, generator