Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
WDK

Generator high rise extensions.

I am attending the Phoenix rally at the end of the month. Do to the crowd they are recommending generator extensions to exhaust fumes above the coach and I have yet to see anything I like. First of all, before it goes up it has to extend out beyond my dinette slide and strapping it to my coach is out of the question.....any suggestions out there?

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #2

A recommendation is not a "requirement". May be nice but if you can't, you can't. JMO
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #3

My buddy has a home made one using PVC, some small brackets and some exhaust tubing. It seems to make the generator even quieter. There are pictures of them on the internet.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
WDK

....to tell you the truth I am leaning towards it being a recommendation only. I went to Onan and they cautioned against the home made or otherwise modified exhaust systems for the carbon dioxide back up problems and because their emissions output is as safe as they can make it but I do want to be a good neighbor.

WDK
Old 02-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #5

Here are some pictures from forum....

Forest River Forums - cfsoistman's Album: My Generator Exhaust Solution for GT370 - Picture

Camping world sells it....

Gen-turi Generator Exhaust System - Camco 44461 - Automotive Accessories - Camping World
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #6

I have an Onan 4000 watt Juice Box. It's an external mounted gen set and hooks into the hitch at the rear of the 5er. I had an exhaust pipe from the gen set to a Gen Turi made. I hook it up to the ladder at the rear of the 5er. I've run it like this since 2009 and no bad effects on the gen set at all. The exhaust extension runs from the right of the gen set to the left, underneath the gen set. I hope you can see it. Because this gen set is outside it didn't come with an exhaust pipe so therefore I had one made.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
I have an Onan 4000 watt Juice Box. It's an external mounted gen set and hooks into the hitch at the rear of the 5er. I had an exhaust pipe from the gen set to a Gen Turi made. I hook it up to the ladder at the rear of the 5er. I've run it like this since 2009 and no bad effects on the gen set at all. The exhaust extension runs from the right of the gen set to the left, underneath the gen set. I hope you can see it. Because this gen set is outside it didn't come with an exhaust pipe so therefore I had one made.

Seems simple, now picture the piping that has to run out from under your slides one direction or the other and then up as well as mounting it your slide or some other part of the coach to keep it stable.

WDKClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423428155.115583.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	69310
Old 02-08-2015, 04:47 PM   #8

Make some hooks where it can hang from the top of the slide, then use some small C clamps at the bottom to secure it. That should be solid enough to support the extension to the exhaust pipe. I'd design it similar to a GenTuri so that the generator exhaust draws in cool air to keep the pipe cool, plus cooling the air down will allow you to use CPVC, least it should.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

Why not use some type of flexible tubing laying along the ground towards the rear of your rig and away from your neighbors? You see auto shops do this all the time to run cars indoors and to vent the exhaust out. Seems like it would be easier to store also.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Why not use some type of flexible tubing laying along the ground towards the rear of your rig and away from your neighbors? You see auto shops do this all the time to run cars indoors and to vent the exhaust out. Seems like it would be easier to store also.

Now that I have been looking into though I have not found something suitable yet....

WDK
Old 02-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #11

I've been trying to figure out the slide solution as well....
you can buy extensions for the Gen Turi, from what i've seen to route the exhaust to the Gen Turi tube, but it seems to be a bigger job because of the slide.
Everyone recommends suction cups to hold the tube to the side of the slide as well, so if I can figure the extensions, that should be pretty straightforward.....
Let me know if you figure it out!

Thanks
Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #12
WDK

I have been thinking about something like this.....attaching it to the tail pipe and then along the ground and up the ladder rack on back of the coach....it's something I am not going to use very often so if I want it to store well for those occasions as well as not make a mess of my coach with straps.....suction cups was a good thought but a hassle especially if they don't hold well.

WDKClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423602394.708833.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	69452
Old 02-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #13

I've really never have had a problem with my genny's exhaust. Don't really know why the "up and over" concept is needed anyways, other than if you have an open window directly above the exhaust. My rig is 34.5 ft with the exhaust behind street side rear wheels. Hardly know it's running whether in or out of the RV.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #14
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
I've really never have had a problem with my genny's exhaust. Don't really know why the "up and over" concept is needed anyways, other than if you have an open window directly above the exhaust. My rig is 34.5 ft with the exhaust behind street side rear wheels. Hardly know it's running whether in or out of the RV.

X2. Make sure your CO detector is working as a precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #15
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
X2. Make sure your CO detector is working as a precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

The problem being as we are told is that they will be packing us in there like sardines.....I suppose the way most coaches are set up the exhaust however minimal of most gen sets will face the door side of the adjoining rig....most will have no station power so it's all batteries and generators which will be allowed to run from 10 to 10.

WDK
Old 02-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #16

WDK, didn't notice the Phoenix Rally part of your original question. Now that I do, I see what you mean about needing the extension. Good Luck on a suitable solution.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #17
WDK

While I am still open to suggestions at least until the end of next week....I am somewhat throwing in the towel on a suitable solution. I have not found anything made for the situation my coach poses with the slide and I am not going to make shift something or otherwise spend the money on a hokey fix. If it were a requirement, we would not attend this way as I am getting my front windshield replaced there so we could easily camp my coach at RV glass of Phoenix who at this time are coming to us and get back and forth with our toad.

WDK
Old 02-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
I am attending the Phoenix rally at the end of the month. Do to the crowd they are recommending generator extensions to exhaust fumes above the coach and I have yet to see anything I like. First of all, before it goes up it has to extend out beyond my dinette slide and strapping it to my coach is out of the question.....any suggestions out there?

WDK
I wouldn't add anything because they recommended it. If you want to really do it buy the extension from the manufacturer. Don't take a chance with any home made device.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #19
WDK

.....the manufacture, Onan was the first place I looked and sent them an email to inquire. They don't recommend extensions and they do not provide a kit that will extend past my slide and up. As I said "hokey" at is not an option.

I do appreciate your feed back.....as I said, I want to be a good neighbor but that comes with a limit.

WDK
Old 02-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
.....the manufacture, Onan was the first place I looked and sent them an email to inquire. They don't recommend extensions and they do not provide a kit that will extend past my slide and up. As I said "hokey" at is not an option.

I do appreciate your feed back.....as I said, I want to be a good neighbor but that comes with a limit.

WDK
Well Onan doesn't have one for there own unit, I certainly wouldn't do it either. Them Generators are expensive to repair. I agree with you 100%. Even as close as they park you in Goshen, the guy behind me had one and next to me, when they started them all I heard was them running I did not notice any fumes and my unit was open and it didn't set my detector off. And they really pack them in at the fair grounds.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator