Old 07-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #31

So, with all that said, here is what I have:

2017 Georgetown 364 with the residential refrigerator. So, running down the road, this is what is typically on:

2 AC units, typically set on 70, so they actually never cycle on/off that I can tell, except when power goes away
Refrigerator
Main area TV (kids)
Entertainment/surround sound system
Both bunk TVs (more kids, I have 4)
Charger

So, this will overload the generator, causing a voltage drop, resulting in the transfer switch to drop out and not be able to recover due to the load?

No, I have not switched any wiring. The unit is brand spanking new and I do not want to start messing with the base line set up until this is either confirmed as an FR warranty issue (they fix) or not a warranty issue (I fix).

Keep the ideas coming. I like the discussion. I'll have to figure out the amp draw on the other items listed to see if I am pushing things over the top.

On a similar vein, then, running the W/D combo while going down the road would likely have a similar effect as running 2 ACs then, right?

Old 07-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #32

Do you turn off the electric water heater before you start driving?

DuncanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #33

I do not run the water heaters in any mode except gas at this point. I do, however, have the water pumps on for demand as needed (water from frig, washer if running, etc.)
Old 07-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #34

Stymie71 -

Had EXACTLY the same issue with my brand spanking new 369 this past weekend driving back from FL. Genny would keep running but no power to the house. Stopped, restarted - no fix. Ultimately, had to run down the road with no roof A/C's in 97+ temps. Needless to say, it got hot in the back for the children. The genny ran, but seemed to "pulse" like it was getting overloaded, even when there was no power coming into the coach.

Reading this thread, sounds like it could be 2 issues - heat or load. I don't like the load answer for a new coach - it should come configured with gen big enough to handle entire electrical need. Since I had problems only when on the road, and only after an hour or so on the road, I'm going with heat, fuel/vapor lock or similar as the probable cause.

But I'm watching this thread carefully because it's a crappy situation, nonetheless.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #35

I can run down the road with a single AC in the heat.

I just camped 48+ hours running on generator in 95+ heat without issue with all electrical appliances running. This issue is only while driving. I think the transfer switch is overheating due to exhaust heat from tailpipe but can't tell for sure. I do know the transfer switch is very hot to touch after I have been driving in the heat for a couple of hours.
Stymie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:08 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie71 View Post
I can run down the road with a single AC in the heat.

I just camped 48+ hours running on generator in 95+ heat without issue with all electrical appliances running. This issue is only while driving. I think the transfer switch is overheating due to exhaust heat from tailpipe but can't tell for sure. I do know the transfer switch is very hot to touch after I have been driving in the heat for a couple of hours.

Has anyone tried leaving the round access hole open to circulate air while driving?
Old 07-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
Has anyone tried leaving the round access hole open to circulate air while driving?

Yes I have, I've posted several times that I have been fighting this very issue now for 3 years since my coach was brand new, nothing I've tried has resolved issue.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 07-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
Yes I have, I've posted several times that I have been fighting this very issue now for 3 years since my coach was brand new, nothing I've tried has resolved issue.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

Sorry if I missed some prior posts, what is the response from Forrest River, I've sent this post to the warranty guys for a reply?
Old 07-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #39

I have not yet reached out to Forest River on this issue, but plan to. I want to have all my ducks in a row, make sure it is not something I am doing/have done that is resulting in this.
Stymie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
Sorry if I missed some prior posts, what is the response from Forrest River, I've sent this post to the warranty guys for a reply?

Had a dealer look at issue twice under warranty- no problem found, had Cummins/Onan check generator- no problem found.... My transfer switch is a Furrion brand, I've replaced it twice, no resolve, changed oil to 15w40, added hard start capacitors, bypassed the transfer switch altogether last month, generator would die instead of transfer switch tripping out. I like everyone else only have trouble when it's very hot out and mostly when driving, sometimes I can't run burg a/c units setting still, nothing else on, amp draws have been checked, voltage drop has been checked when compressors kick in..... I've serviced generator very well, it's done this since new. I've about come to the conclusion that the generator isn't big enough for these coaches, some will disagree, but NO ONE has had a resolve for this issue.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

Tags
generator