Old 07-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #41
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Are both ACs 15k?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #42

Not unless I got a freebie upgrade. Front is 15k, rear is 13.5k.

Even still, with this only being intermittent (i.e., while driving, not while sitting still) and only when temps are 95+, I think both the generator and the transfer switch are both capable of carrying the load. I fully believe the heat is the prime culprit. What I can't nail down is whether the heat is negatively impacting the generator or the transfer switch or both to the point of failure.

So, do y'all just send an email to this Kevin contact on the Forest River RV website, do you call or how do y'all start a warranty claim?

Stymie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
Had a dealer look at issue twice under warranty- no problem found, had Cummins/Onan check generator- no problem found.... My transfer switch is a Furrion brand, I've replaced it twice, no resolve, changed oil to 15w40, added hard start capacitors, bypassed the transfer switch altogether last month, generator would die instead of transfer switch tripping out. I like everyone else only have trouble when it's very hot out and mostly when driving, sometimes I can't run burg a/c units setting still, nothing else on, amp draws have been checked, voltage drop has been checked when compressors kick in..... I've serviced generator very well, it's done this since new. I've about come to the conclusion that the generator isn't big enough for these coaches, some will disagree, but NO ONE has had a resolve for this issue.
I've also changed my transfer switch to different manufacturer as well, it does seem heat related and I was surprised to the different transfer switch didn't make a difference. Any thoughts on the gauge of wire used in the transfer switch?

I've emailed Kevin, he was out last week, I haven't made it to my dealer yet to start a warranty claim but they are aware.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:14 PM   #44
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Goshen is around the corner and I'll see about getting answers while there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #45

Here is a reply from Kevin

It could be a heat issue and not getting enough air to the generator. It also could need to have the fuel line insulated to ensure that it is not vapor lock due to heat. Does your generator door have a vent in it? I do not see your vin # to tell. Either the vent and insulated fuel line has corrected this concern. If it does not, it may need to go to Onan to look at.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #46

I believe the xfer switch is normally closed to the generator, when shore power is connected and energized the switch will pull up and connect to SP. Next time you connect to a supply, you'll hear it clunk.
Most likely problem the OP is having is a weak fuel pump, hot and full load failure has been reported many times in this forum. It's as common a problem with Onan as Dometic's roof a/c leak problem. No recalls, they wait till the problems surface.
Note when a transfer switch fails, you'll detect it.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #47

Generator Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
I believe the xfer switch is normally closed to the generator, when shore power is connected and energized the switch will pull up and connect to SP. Next time you connect to a supply, you'll hear it clunk.
Most likely problem the OP is having is a weak fuel pump, hot and full load failure has been reported many times in this forum. It's as common a problem with Onan as Dometic's roof a/c leak problem. No recalls, they wait till the problems surface.
Note when a transfer switch fails, you'll detect it.

Even on a brand new unit? Weak fuel pump? On several units?? And I don't think any of are having issues when connected to shore power.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 07-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
Here is a reply from Kevin

It could be a heat issue and not getting enough air to the generator. It also could need to have the fuel line insulated to ensure that it is not vapor lock due to heat. Does your generator door have a vent in it? I do not see your vin # to tell. Either the vent and insulated fuel line has corrected this concern. If it does not, it may need to go to Onan to look at.

I am interested in this door vent Kevin mentioned, would like to see one so I can grasp what it actually looks like. The generator draws air up from the bottom and the bottom of generator is open to atmosphere ( no storage box bottom ) post pics if you get any please.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 07-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #49

Weak fuel pump?
No typically on a new unit, but the pump may not be able to draw the fuel from the tank under very hot conditions. Consider adding an inline pump near the tank may resolve the issue.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #50

It is heat related, but also movement related as this only happens when temps are 95+ and when driving down the road. I have camped up to 72 hours running on generator in 95+ temps without once having a problem. But, just get me on the road for 2+ hours in 95+ temps and the problem starts.

My uninformed spidey sense tells me that the heat from the ambient air temp, engine and engine exhaust are all building up to cause a real issue. The problem is, I can't tell if it is a problem with the generator or the transfer switch. I suspect it is the transfer switch as that is where I hear the grinding noise when this starts to occur and the switch is very hot to the touch when this is happening. Meanwhile, while this is happening, the generator is just purring along without issue other than every time the transfer switch drops out and tries to come back on line the generator obviously struggles with the load, which makes the switch drop back out again. When I reduce the load by turning off one of the AC units, power returns and the noises stop. The issue never occurs if I only drive with one AC running.

I hate gremlins like this.

Stymie71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator