Old 07-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #61

Yes, mine is on the driver's side as well. Just behind the engine/transmission, just in front of the exhaust pipe. Mine also hangs freely.

I wonder if the combination of the engine heat traveling under the RV along with the heat from the exhaust pipe being so close to the generator is impacting this? Maybe a heat shield on the exhaust pipe along with a cooling air scoop either below or sticking out the side to get clean unheated air from the side of the vehicle (might catch a few bugs as well ).

Stymie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #62

I actually saw another Ford chassis Class A with a heat shield on the exhaust pipe. Looked like the same general configuration as mine with engine exhaust pipe, rear wheel, generator. If heat is the culprit (and it's sounding like it is), shielding the exhaust pipe and possibly putting some of that silver insulation on the wheel side of the generator compartment (left side), may help. Won't change the air flow, but may reduce the heat transfer. Thoughts??

Old 07-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #63
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That could possibly help in your situation, but my generator is in front of the exhaust outlet. Shielding the pipe may still help, but I'm thinking most of my heat is coming from engine/radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #64

Doesn't the exhaust pipe run behind the generator, though? Yes, agree the heat is mostly from engine/trans plus ambient, but that pipe behind the generator is not cooling things down any.

I plan to climb under mine tonight to see how close the exhaust pipe is to the generator.

FYI - I reached out to Kevin at FR. He passed my concerns to Bryan Knight at FR. Bryan kicked the can down the road to Onan. So, no help coming from FR any time soon it appears. At least, not from Kevin or Bryan.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #65

Generator Issue?

Ok here's what I experienced today, started coach, started generator, let transfer switch pull in, turned on front 15K A/C unit, water heater is off, fridge was switched to propane, cycled rear 13.5k A/C unit on and transfer switch trips out, have to turn both units off and let transfer re-engage. This all happened while parked, I'm so over this generator issue already.

So I just tried it again, started rear unit first, then the front and they both are on......

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 07-16-2016, 03:09 AM   #66
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You either have an extraordinary high amp pull on your AC's or low output on your generator. Also sounds as if your 13.5k is the culprit. The starting amp draw is kicking out the genny. Starting the rear first and having it run then kicking in the front seems to work. What will eventually happen though is the rear will kick out while the front is running and kick back in, thus killing the system again. Experiment and see if you can duplicate.

2015 - 41
2016 - 81
Old 07-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #67

I'm with you Dijoeboss. And I haven't owned my unit nearly as long as you have owned yours.

I will be experimenting with mine until the end of our camping season (Thanksgiving) and then taking mine in for its first round of warranty work. Hopefully by then I have either got it resolved through air flow manipulation or can at least have the problem repeating sitting in the dealer lot so they don't think I am crazy (which really just means a good long drive but ambient temps by then will be low so not sure it will happen).
Old 07-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
You either have an extraordinary high amp pull on your AC's or low output on your generator. Also sounds as if your 13.5k is the culprit. The starting amp draw is kicking out the genny. Starting the rear first and having it run then kicking in the front seems to work. What will eventually happen though is the rear will kick out while the front is running and kick back in, thus killing the system again. Experiment and see if you can duplicate.

Ok, both a/c units ran all night, and I have an ice maker running overnight and ran the coffee pot this morning no problem. ( both of my a/c units have the hard start capacitors added to them, they've also been checked for amp draw..... According to Rv dealer tech, the amp draw was ok. ) crazy

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 07-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #69
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
Ok, both a/c units ran all night, and I have an ice maker running overnight and ran the coffee pot this morning no problem. ( both of my a/c units have the hard start capacitors added to them, they've also been checked for amp draw..... According to Rv dealer tech, the amp draw was ok. ) crazy

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

That's some crazy $h!t. Have no idea.

2015 - 41
2016 - 81
Old 07-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #70

I think it's a heat issue with the transfer switch....

Anybody NOT having an issue, what type of transfer switch do you have?? Brand?? Etc.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

Tags
generator