Old 06-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #1

Generator Issue?

2017 Georgetown 364. Picked up in April. My last 2 trips, driving down the road with generator running, both roof AC units running, after about 2 hours of non-stop driving, all 120v power in the coach goes away (AC units, refrigerator, microwave, TVs, everything). Generator never stops. No breakers are blown. As soon as I stop the coach and turn of just one, either one, of the roof AC units via the thermostat, all 120v power returns like nothing ever happened.

Thoughts?

Old 06-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #2

Other facts:

Doesn't do it just sitting still in a field or while camping and running solely on generator, at least not yet. Have camped 72 hours running on generator without issues.

Also, does not do this while on shore power. Again, at least not yet.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Had/having same issue while while on our trip out west. What I've been able to deduce is that if losing power while generator is running, the transfer switch has kicked out or the breakers on the generator have kicked. I've had the generator completely stop also. This I'm thinking has to do with heat and or fuel vapor lock. It has been in the upper 90's and 100's most of the time. I have a couple people researching possible solutions. Not sure why the transfer switch won't kick back in when it kicks out though. It will if I turn generator off and back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #4

Generator Issue?

I have listed this issue in a thread "transfer switch won't stay engaged" I think is what it's called, no fix that I can find yet after battling it for 3 years.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 06-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
I have listed this issue in a thread "transfer switch won't stay engaged" I think is what it's called, no fix that I can find yet after battling it for 3 years.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

The issue may not be the transfer switch but the generator itself. I think that may be my issue. I think the heat is causing the generator to skip a beat and allowing the switch to fall out and for some reason, not re-engaging. I had hard time getting the generator to start again when this happened. I think the fuel line vapor locked, because I had to prime it for a couple minutes to get the fuel line to fill (it will vibrate when not completely pressurized).

2015 - 41
2016 - 81
Old 06-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
The issue may not be the transfer switch but the generator itself. I think that may be my issue. I think the heat is causing the generator to skip a beat and allowing the switch to fall out and for some reason, not re-engaging. I had hard time getting the generator to start again when this happened. I think the fuel line vapor locked, because I had to prime it for a couple minutes to get the fuel line to fill (it will vibrate when not completely pressurized).

If you come up with a fix, I'd love to hear about it, I've had no success with anything I've tried in 3 years. ( mines not the transfer switch, it's been replaced twice.) Cummins has looked at generator- no problem found, RV repair shop checked a/c amp draws etc. no problem found.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 06-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What's the weather like when this happens? Hot? Cold? Both?

2015 - 41
2016 - 81
Old 06-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #8

It has been blistering hot. But my generator has never died. And, only while actually driving. I sat in a field in nearly 100 heat for 3 days running on generator with no issue. Left the field on way home and at about the 2 hour mark the power went out, but the generator never quit.
Stymie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #9

Mine has done exactly what you describe. We also will spend a few days running the generator without issue but as soon I start driving it would happen. Only happened on hot days.
I switched from using 30W oil to Onamax 15W-40 oil. Make sure the oil level is full. Even a little bit low will cause this. On mine the oil was getting hot and sloshing around enough to cause the low oil sensor to momentarily shut down the generator and thus the transfer switch.
Since changing I have only had this happen once in the last year and that was when the oil was old and should have been changed proir to that trip.

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #10

I haven't check oil level yet for sloshing. I'll check tonight. Thx.

Stymie71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator