Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

generator shutdown

Brand new 364TS owner here. Picked it up in Des Moines last week and did some camping there and in St. Louis in the middle of the heat wave, so our A/C got a good test.

Twice when running the generator for A/C we had the generator shut down on us spontaneously. First time was while driving. I messed with it for a few minutes after getting to our destination and got it to start up again and then it ran fine.

A couple nights later it shut down while walmart camping at about 4am. I couldn't get it to start after trying for about 15 minutes and I just went back to bed. When I woke up sweating at 7am I tried again to get it to start, no luck. About noon that day I tried again and finally got it to start.

I haven't had any more issues since then, but I'm worried it is going to leave us high and dry when we need it most. I've read on the forums here about how the fuel pump is notorious for going bad, but is it an intermittent problem like this or is this something else?

I think we have about 44 hours on the genny so far.
carmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #2

Huh I havent had that problem yet. But incase you don't already know the break in oil and filter change is due at 20 hours. Only problem I've had is transfer switch holding he load but has nothing to do with generator shutting down. Are you holding the fuel prime button down 5 seconds before cranking it?
Old 07-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #3

from reading the other generator issues thread I'm wondering if it's vapor lock for me too. I did prime but maybe not long enough to clear a vapor lock. I'll read up more on that.

20 hours, really? dealer told us to change it at 120. Also I think he said there's no oil filter...
Old 07-28-2016, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmex View Post
from reading the other generator issues thread I'm wondering if it's vapor lock for me too. I did prime but maybe not long enough to clear a vapor lock. I'll read up more on that.

20 hours, really? dealer told us to change it at 120. Also I think he said there's no oil filter...
There is a screw on oil filter on the bottom you have lay on ground to see it. The manual states 20 hours for first which is the break in oil change. Then every 100 hours afterward.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip. I'll add genny oil change to the list of projects for this weekend!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmex View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll add genny oil change to the list of projects for this weekend!
I'm sorry I missed informed you I just went look at manual again it's every 150 hours after the 20 hours.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #7

Old 07-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #8

Old 07-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #9

Tags
generator