Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #1

Generator under bed on 378xl

We have a Georgetown 378xl 2008 and the gen in in the bin under the bed room slide and the exhaust pipe come out the side not the back . My question is how safe is this we are going to the nascar race and staying in the infield with no hook up we will have to run the generator all night because my wife has a C pap machine she sleeps with so we need 120 volt to run it it draws 5 amps any help on the safety of running the gen all night with it under the slide ???

2008 Georgetown XL 378 TS
Jack Durney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Always Learning

I have no idea about the generator safety, but I do sleep with a CPAP machine. Turning off the humidifier on the CPAP should drap the power draw down to just under 2 amps/hour if I recall correctly. It's usually less than 1/2 for just the air portion. I think I would much rather have charged batteries and run off of an inverter at night without the humidifier than a generator running all evening.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Happily Retired Member

I also have a 2013 378XL. I have run the generator all night and have not experienced and issues with exhaust or fumes. Since we have an all electric refrigerator, unless you are plugged in or engine running, I would hate to wake up with dead batteries or food starting to thaw. I was worried about generator noise when sleeping but it wasn't bad.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #4

I'm more worried about the fume getting in more than the noise !

Old 04-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Durney View Post
I'm more worried about the fume getting in more than the noise !
You could set up a floor fan upwind from the exhaust and keep it moving away. Secondly there is a CO alarm on the ceiling above the bed for this reason. I also had the thought of odd exhaust arrangement, never had issue however.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #6

I have set our coach up with a extra high cca battery in the compartment under the bed, pulled charge line off house batteries with a switch to isolate the battery when in use for the CPAP, ran up through floor and have a plug in for the inverter which I believe is 400 amp which I can run the CPAP for 4 nights without charging. I do charge it every day when the generator is running anyway. Has worked great for the past 4 years.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #7

Should be no issue for you. I have a 378 and it's not an issue for me when I do it (same set up). I would imagine alot of rv's run their gen's all night if for nothing else than air conditioning. A medical reason is more justifiable than any other reasons given by the infield spectators. Hey, it's NASCAR, what's quiet about that. Go for it and enjoy.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

I have 2 different brand cpap machines and both will run on 12 volts. Have also run one sans humidifier on an inverter with no problem.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
Retired US Army CW4

Almost all modern CPAPs will run on 12 volt. Your post does not say your wife is using a humidifier. I can only assume she is with a draw of 5 amps. I use a non-humidifier unit every night I'm in the RV with no significant draw-down of the batteries. Have you hooked it up to 12 volt and let it run for a night and checked the batteries to see what the remaining charge is? An isolated battery (ala jergeod) would also be an option.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Have any of you used a Genturi exhaust pipe extender on 378?
We have at times gone camping with a group where most of them have tents or pop ups.
If we go with that group again I think I should use an pipe extender but I'm not sure it would work at the angle needed to get around the bed room slide on the 378.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #11

Falcone 35 camping workgroup told me I would have to get a muffler shop to reroute it to the back

Old 04-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #12

You could have the exhaust pipe rerouted to a better area that will allow for the genturi.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #13

Tom and Kat she does have a humidifier on it but she does not use the heating element we have a 12 volt plug in the bed room

Old 04-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
I have set our coach up with a extra high cca battery in the compartment under the bed, pulled charge line off house batteries with a switch to isolate the battery when in use for the CPAP, ran up through floor and have a plug in for the inverter which I believe is 400 amp which I can run the CPAP for 4 nights without charging. I do charge it every day when the generator is running anyway. Has worked great for the past 4 years.
This battery is in the bay under the bed under the coach? Or right under the bed.

I too use CPAP and always get a AC site and don't use humidifier when camping either
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
378xl, bed, generator