Took the muffler out of the generator and took it down to the muffler shop to have a new exaust pipe made for it and a couple of broken bolts removed. $35 for a shiny new pipe and the bolts removed. When I got home I had a box of parts from Onan!
I put the muffler back together, cleaned the slip rings on the rotor with some electrical connection cleaner. Installed the new brushes and checked the resistance across them. 34ohms, just like the manual says.
So I connected everything up and started it up. It ran, like before, but this time it kept running and I got a solid red indicator light. I hurried to check the output voltage and I was getting 115.3 volts AC! I'm so happy!
I plugged a 1kW heater into the generator and it kept running, no lag at all.
True it ran pretty rough and blew some smoke but this is a step in the right direction.
2008 Georgetown SE 350DS BunkHouse