Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonol View Post
If you wait and dont charge your batteries now, big chance you will have to replace it.
They were good last time I check,,, I will be hooking up battery maintainer soon,,, at this point I have it hooked to the E450 battery !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
They were good last time I check,,, I will be hooking up battery maintainer soon,,, at this point I have it hooked to the E450 battery !!!
If you have a decent battery disconnect (and you used it) and your batteries were charged when you put it away, they should have been fine for a couple of months. If not, something is wrong. The list includes:
  1. Battery left on (disconnect not used)
  2. Heavy Parasitic loads even when battery disconnect is used
  3. Battery was not well charged when you put it away
  4. Bad battery, looks like it is charged but rapidly discharges when left for more than a few days
A trickle charger will solve 1-3, but it will give you a false sense of security on 4!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
If you have a decent battery disconnect (and you used it) and your batteries were charged when you put it away, they should have been fine for a couple of months. If not, something is wrong. The list includes:
  1. Battery left on (disconnect not used)
  2. Heavy Parasitic loads even when battery disconnect is used
  3. Battery was not well charged when you put it away
  4. Bad battery, looks like it is charged but rapidly discharges when left for more than a few days
A trickle charger will solve 1-3, but it will give you a false sense of security on 4!
Thanks for the advice,,, will test soon !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #24

Ahhhhhh, thanks to everyone. I believe the battery disconnect switch and relay were the issue. I had shut that off since it was in storage right here on the property. I ran out to start and lubricate everything just before the nasty cold weather had come in, unplugged it from shore power and killed the switch. So while sitting for 6 weeks or so with the switch off, the batteries were still registering 2/3 full. Here's the other shoe that fell. When I tried to start it, I had switched on the disconnect, and hit the button to start and didn't hear it cranking. This time I held the switch down and there was a delay for about 5 seconds until it started cranking. It started, ran it for 15 minutes and batteries read full. Job done!

BTW, One of the things I absolutely hate about the FR Georgetown is that they have a ton of in-line fuses and not one of them are marked, and there's no documentation either. Infuriating when trying to debug something. So, when digging around the generator, I found a 25 amp in-line fuse TUCKED BEHIND the cables in a black holder next to the black housing! It was not blown, but who knows it was there? I attached a picture after I disconnected the unprotected quick connects (which also had very little grip to each other, and ripe for corrosion) and reconnected on the other side of the main 12V line so there's access to it.

Thanks all. I must say, got better response here than from the dealer!
2022 RAM Longhorn Ltd, diesel
EscapePod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, generator, georgetown