Old 03-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #1

Generator Won't Crank - 2014 Georgetown XL 334

I went out to exercise the generator in the cold weather. I started the motor too for the same reason. I hit the generator button on the dash to crank it, but nothing. I then shut off the engine to hear it cranking, and there was silence. I took off the cover to the generator and tried the button there to start it. Nothing.

I assume it's a fuse somewhere and the generator is not getting cranking power. I checked the battery compartment and all the in-line fuses I could find that float in there (really, the fusing and wiring on these units look like an afterthought, not well laid out and never documented well either.) I could find nothing blown in the battery compartment or tripped in the breaker box. (nothing labeled for generator). checked all the manuals I have and 2 schematics previously sent to me by FR.

Does anyone have any clue where to look?

Thanks. Steve.

2009 Prius on Acme Dolly
EscapePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #2

Have checked to ensure you have 12 volt at the solenoid and if so try removing the ground wire from the generator and clean it up really good and reinstall and try again. Had to do this on my 2014 377xl.

kdcamper

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 03-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

How much fuel is in the tank in case it has a shut off. Parents sunseeker seems to quit around 1/4 tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:24 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses.

Tank is full, so that's not the issue.

Where might the solenoid be? On the generator? Or back in the battery compartment?

Does anyone have a schematic of the starting circuit?
2009 Prius on Acme Dolly
Old 03-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #5

Battery Storage Control

Just to cover off the basics, did you have the battery switch to 'connect'? I know I've been caught by this recently.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #6

I didn't change anything and it had worked when I tested it when it came back from the factory. Hence, why I'm thinking fuse, except I can't find one.

But, I'm with you. Check everything. So, "battery switch", where would that be? The only master switch I know of it by the steps coming in and that's for the inverter AFAIK. (it is off right now to preserve the batteries.)
2009 Prius on Acme Dolly
Old 03-05-2016, 06:40 AM   #7

Should look something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	101091  
Old 03-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #8

There's a wiring schematic in the Onan installation manual. You can download it from their web site.

The solenoid on our 4000 watt Onan is on the left behind the cover. You may have 12 volts at the solenoid when it's not trying to crank (no current flow), but sometimes when a terminal is corroded the voltage drops when it tries to crank. Check that you have 12 volts coming to the solenoid from the starter panel when you press the start switch.

If you have a booster battery, try jumping directly to the starter, with the positive cable clamp on the starter side of the solenoid. That would at least tell you that the starter works.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill960 View Post
Should look something like this:
Thanks. I think that's the same switch I described given the switches in the picture next to it. I'll give it a try, but I think the generator works with or without that activated.
2009 Prius on Acme Dolly
Old 03-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapePod View Post
Thanks. I think that's the same switch ...
Actually, based on a couple of schematics I have seen, the generator starter power often comes after the disconnect switch and there is no fuse or breaker in the coach. So the house batteries should be connected to start.

If you connect them and it doesn't start, try holding down the boost start switch. This should add the chassis battery to try and start. I used to do this on my old class "A". The boost switch works both ways!

If that doesn't work, the problem is the starter solenoid in the generator. Also I my old coach, occasionally when the house power was low, the Bendix gear would stick in the flywheel and the starter couldn't overcome the load. All I did was try it a couple of times and it would come free. If that is the case, you will see a voltage drop when you try to start since the solenoid is working hard but to no avail.

Finally, on my 335DS, even if the generator is running, which then powers the converter, it will not charge the batteries unless the house batteries are connected. Kinda dumb!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, generator, georgetown