Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #1

Genny and A/C

We were on shore power, A/C's were working fine. Unplugged, turned off both A/C's. Turned on generator for travel and turned on front A/C. It worked for a while. Then we started getting warm. A/C was not running. Stopped for lunch checked breakers, all OK, turned on back bedroom A/C while I was checking breakers, and it turned on and ran. Turned back one off, turned front one back on....nothing. Shut down A/C and genny. Got home, refired genny, A/C, and again we got nothing out of neither A/C nor fan only setting. So was wondering if it might be the capacitor in A/C unit. Plugged back into shore power at the house, turned on A/C and it worked. So, since I am not electrically inclined, why would it work, then stop and not restart on generator, but work on shore power? We have never had problems before today running A/C on generator. Do we need to take to shop and have them check wiring somewhere? Thanks for any insight to this issue.
rxrdbou1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #2

I would check and reset breakers on generator and try again.....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #3

did anything else work when on generator? if no, you are not getting power from the generator. as mentioned check circuit breakers on generator and check that transfer switch is switching between shore and generator power. it's also possible that the generator is simply not working but that is beyond me. if other devices are working on a/c when the generator is supplying power and the a/c's are not (yet they work on shore power) you've got me. by chance do you have a EMS system installed that the generator power goes through? could it be stopping generator power for some reason? can you take voltage readings from generator through all connections up to the a/c do see where the power loss is occurring?
Old 09-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

I would check the gen you may have tripped one of the 30 amp breakers. There are 2 breakers top left as you are looking at gen.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #5

If there are 2 breakers on generator, and one A/C worked and one did not work on generator, and one was tripped, it would make sense. Will wait until daylight tomorrow and check it. Will post results tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:30 AM   #6

There was another thread similar to this earlier. I have experienced something related while traveling this summer.... consensus seems to be overheated transfer switch that "directs" power from shore power, gen, batt, etc. ...Our air stopped (as well as the TV's, etc.) this summer, but the genny was still running - just not getting power to the coach. Did not re-engage until things cooled down. Air temp was near 100.

If this is what you experienced, I am afraid I ran into a brick wall in terms of getting help. Apparently there is a new and improved transfer switch, but I never got the 411 on it from this forum, the dealer pleaded ignorance and FR ignored the question altogether.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #7

Smile

The breaker on generator was tripped. So that fixed it. Those breakers just slipped my mind. Knew about those in the RV and those in battery compartment, but forgot about the generator! Thank to all.