Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #1

Georgetown 315 SE Sink Draining into Black Tank

I have a friend who asked me to find out if anyone who owns a 315 does your bathroom sink drains into your black tank? The shower and kitchen sink drains into the grey. She called the dealer and they told her Forest River said they have the option to design the plumbing like that. Here is her probelm, if she goes dry camping her black tank fills up very fast which is a pain in the butt. Help!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

There are RVs that are plumbed that way, the purpose being to add more liquid to the black tank so it will drain better.

In my grandmothers house the plumbing was added "after the fact." So the men folk would line up at the kitchen sink to shave and freshen up in the morning, as there was no heat in the bathroom, which was a walled in part of the back porch! Taking a clue from my uncles, I'd just shave in the kitchen or outdoors when dry camping.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #3

Yep our GT 378TS is plumbed the same way. We found out on our maiden voyage when we were driving through Arizona and the water in the bathroom sink P-trap had all but evaporated away allowing the smell of the black tank into the rig, ARGGGG! I had never seen this done before. I understand that most people have a bigger problem with filling the gray water while dry camping than the black but I have no problem draining the gray water either, the black is a different story though.

We have learned to run a couple of cups of water down the bathroom sink before we move the rig on down the road to make sure that we don't smell the black tank.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
Site Team

Yes it is, and yes they're allowed to plumb it that way.

Her experience is different than most. I would consider the vanity sink to be a minor contributor of water unless you leave the water running while brushing your teeth, etc. The shower, on the other hand, would be a major contributor if it was plumbed into the black tank.

Tags
black tank