Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Lottery Non-Winner

Georgetown 337 Windshield Leak

I've read on here where others have had trouble with the windshield in their Georgetown. Didn't want to highjack their threads.
We bought ours new in July '11. Got lucky and hadn't been rained upon while camping. Recently had it in the shop for a tech bulletin repair to the slide. Picked it up from the shop Saturday and on the way to the storage area it started raining. I ended up with a considerable amount of water dripping on the passenger's side of the dash. I had noticed some dried spots on the driver's side too (almost looked like dried coffee). I now think it will drip on whichever side is slightly lower depending on where it's parked or the angle of the road. I took it right back to the shop and had the service writer look inside to see the evidence. He agreed it was bad and had to be parked inside (it was still raining).
So it's in for repair to the windshield.
I invite any advice from those of you who have suffered this sort of thing.
I regret not being able to get any photos of it. Couldn't tell where the water was getting in anyway.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #2

Stay on top of it,it can really do some danage that you cant see.Have them check the wood under the dash cover while in the shop. I know what you are going through,sorry.
louis cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Lottery Non-Winner

Yes, I read your thread. I'm praying I don't experience the same sort of treatment.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 01-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #4

On our maiden voyage with our new 11 378 everything went fine from cent. florida to Branson Mo. While in Branson it started to rain and the right side of the windshield leaked very bad. As luck had it we were planning a pass through Elkhart Ind on this trip. I called service at F.R. and talked to Mike "cant remember last name" .He told me to tape it up with duct tape and stop at thier repair shop.At the shop I was hooked up to a 50a hookup. The next day the windshield was removed and resealed. We ended up staying on that hookup for 2 more days for factory tour and sight seeing. I cant say enough about the friendly treatment I recieved
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Lottery Non-Winner

bottom line: does your windshield leak anymore?

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #6

No it has never leaked since. It was a lucky break that I was going that way.
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Ovair,
Can you give more details on the tech bulletin repair to the slide? I also have a '11

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Lottery Non-Winner

Update: Although I have not taken custody, I was told they have found the source of the leak and have made the repair. Technician said it was the seam where the face of the RV meets the roof line. I thought it was the windshield, but apparently it was not. I was able to go into my unit at the dealer and it was outside and had been raining for a couple days. I suspect if it was going to still leak it would have done so. Now I just need them to finish the paperwork on Monday so I can regain custody.

Trempert: I will post a separate thread for that, but for your convenience I will tell you here. My unit has a very long slide (it is nearly the entire length of the unit). Sliding in and out was causing "some" of the long slide units to develop a ripple in the bottom edge of the slide. Visually, they were wavy. Mine wasn't yet, but they fixed it anyway. Here's the fix: under the entire edge of the slide they place a piece of angle iron. You can't see it because there is a small piece of fascia that hides it. But it should prevent the ripple from developing.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 01-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
ajh

my problem was seam on front on rubber roof next to molding, lap sealant worked
ajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #10

Roof leak, water dripping off the switch for the fan, upper right corner. We are on a cement pad at Disney Ft. Wilderness rig is level according to auto level. Anybody have this problem?
tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #11

My 2012 378XL is doing the same thing. Only have had it two month,s and went back to the dealer Wednesday. Have not heard from them yet
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
My 2012 378XL is doing the same thing. Only have had it two month,s and went back to the dealer Wednesday. Have not heard from them yet

Where is it leaking onn your 2012 378XL?
Passenger side top of window?

Is it when sitting or only when driving in rain?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Where is it leaking onn your 2012 378XL?
Passenger side top of window?

Is it when sitting or only when driving in rain?
Driving back to home last week-end thru T/S Beryl we developed a slight windshield leak on the top right hand side of the windshield. It was raining pretty hard and it's the first time we've had this problem.

Looking forward to having someone come up with a simple fix!
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #14

Our leak is not the windshield, not really sure where water comes. In, might be running lights. She goes to Indian River RV Monday morning, let the pros figure it out.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsurvivor View Post
Our leak is not the windshield, not really sure where water comes. In, might be running lights. She goes to Indian River RV Monday morning, let the pros figure it out.

I think a little preventive maintenance is called for here.
I'm going to remove all the lights and silicone them while it is dry here in Arizona. I'm also going to use a 4" strip of Eternabond tape across the front seam between the roof and cap.

If you don't know what this stuff is here is a forum link as well as my loacl link to buy it.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ost-17433.html

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11341
Old 06-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #16

Iggy, this is my fifth RV so I have a roll of eternabond as well as a lot of other stuff. I do PM constantly, I want to know where the leak is and not just start guessing at where it may or may not be.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsurvivor View Post
Iggy, this is my fifth RV so I have a roll of eternabond as well as a lot of other stuff. I do PM constantly, I want to know where the leak is and not just start guessing at where it may or may not be.
Sure. OK
Old 06-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #18

Hello. Recently, we had our 2012 Georgetown XL 337 DS washed. Water dripped down the inside of the passenger side of the windshield. The windshield is not seated very well so I immediately assumed that the windshield was leaking. However, I went up on the roof and discovered that the caulking on the seam connecting the front fiberglass cap to the roof had lifted partially. So I recaulked the area. Also, there is a vent cap on the roof which actually serves as access to various satellite antenna wires. I sealed this cap also. This solved the leak problem. I power washed the roof afterwards to check for more leaks. Luckily, the problem was fixed. So, like Ovair and ajh, I found that the source of the leak was not the windshield but the seam at the front cap and the roof.
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #19

We had the same front passenger windown leak on our 2011 378, had it fixed at the factory, should have asked where it was, but didn't..... John just said "I know what that is and how to fix it" as soon as we described the leak. Would seem its not an uncommon problem....
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #20

When it is setting.The dealer said he thought it was the windhield. Set in the passenger seat and put your left hand on the dash and thats were it was driping at the top.I would suggest puting a towle on the dash and see if it gets wet the only reason i found it was i was putind some grocery's in it on a day it was rainng and heard it driping. The dealer said he was pulling off the side marke lights to and puting silicone on them. Why should i do all that work when its under warranty plus the dealer said he would contact Forest River and get the front end alignment done for me. Great dealership stands behind what they sell
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote