Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #11

Thanks Jojo, Sounds like I better get some extras for our 378!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
Pete

Here's a picture of the bolt..... looking up at the steps from the ground.

I've replaced two to date........2010 GT 378TS.

The steps are not sturdy. The steps are dangerous and I definitely believe it's a design flaw.

We place blocks underneath the steps when they are extended to give them a "solid" base so as to relieve the strain on the "flimsy" bolt.

I believe Forest River should give serious consideration to issuing a recall dealing with the steps. In my opinion, the steps are a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0737.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	11998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0734.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	12000  

gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #13

That's not the same bolt that broke on ours. It is the bolt on the cam action gear that drives that mechanism. We will take a photo as soon as we can. Definitely a recall issue if there is more than one failure point. I really should let Tom write this instead of trying to edit it. Now he's drawing me a picture. He believes that the common denominator on all this may be country of origin - does "Made in China" sound familiar?

Days camped in 2014 - a bunch!
tomnhenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Would just replace the Heim joints with ones that had a 3/8" bolt holes in them and put Gr. 8 bolts in them. Solves all the problems and you will not shear the gr 8 bolts. You can get the Heim joints (Sperical Rod ends) from all the race car parts shops. Speedway Motors, etc.http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Standa...203#tabcontent
Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #15

Sorry to be so dense, but at which point does it break? I assume it must be the attachment bolt at either end?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
Pete

Mine sheared off at the machined round headed bolt nutted into the step gear part.
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Our's was the same as gartonhl.
We are now back in ON with the steps strapped up.
FR is sending two other parts to our dealer that were not in stock when we were in Elkhart and when we take it in to have those installed we hope to get the steps fixed.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #18

I too have had the problem with my 2007 391. The design is bad. I've looked at another brand of RV using the same step mechanism and their connection to the drive motor was a much thicker curved arm. I noticed when I stepped that the steps didn't give like mine do. So I looked underneath and saw the difference. When my bolt breaks again (I have a spare), I'm going to try the arm.

In the meantime I always use an adjustable support to keep the steps from flexing and stressing the bolt. Makes the steps solid feeling too. Plus, if the bolt breaks I won't tumble. Doesn't mean the bolt won't break but it will delay the problem. I also skip the first step reducing leverage on the stair mechanism.

Lippert (the guys who supply our levelling system) now owns the stair stuff and supplies these parts. If someone has a broken bolt I would suggest talking to their tech support about substituting the "curved arm". Let us all know if that's a possibility.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #19

We had our steps collapse on our 11' 350 TS. After inspecting ours I found all the attaching bolts fine but the stair motor itself was collapsing. Also we noticed that after the stairs had collapsed on us they would "skip" or "ratchet" when opening or closing. While under the coach I noticed the stair motor look very similar to a ford window motor which are rebuild able. So I removed the motor (3 bolts and 5 min) and opened it up and found it is a ford window motor with nylon gears. The replacement parts are available at any parts store. I found mine at the locale NAPA store (part #665-1524 $12.00). So for $12.00 and 15 min there stairs were fixed, a lot cheaper than a $120.00 motor.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #20

Apparently all the stair motors are based on electric window motors. Why not. No sense reinventing the....

The IRV2 website Workhorse chassis subforum detailed the motors used on that frame too. With a little research and some elbow grease you can save some serious money on a step repair. I think I paid $20 for the stair bolt and wound up with a spare.

I can't imagine not being handy and writing all the checks to keep one of these rigs going. Even the high end, big diesel guys have issues. Just add a decimal place to the service bill for one of those monsters.