Old 02-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #1

Georgetown 337DS Steps

First time out this year in our 2012 337 DS (which has only been out six times counting this one) and our steps collapsed. Thankfully, Tom was not hurt when this happened. He crawled underneath and found that a bolt had sheared off. There is only one bolt holding the steps, and there is no failsafe. We could not manually extend or retract the steps. Thank goodness for ratcheting cargo straps. After securing the steps to the frame with the cargo straps, we made a quick trip to Lowe's to purchase a set of folding steps. Still under warranty and the dealer will repair. I searched the forum and found only one other reference to this type of failure, and it was in 2010. Probably a good idea to always have a set of folding steps in the RV. Safe travels to all. Enjoy reading this forum.

Days camped in 2014 - a bunch!
tomnhenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #2

We have that problem on many times to ,in driveway the step fell off in drive told Boat & Rv It was there two months leave there went to FMCA rally there to day and bolt sheared off call people made step they sent me part and i fix it . We went to new campground and the big bolt sheared off and could fix that it sheared flush.We have 378 Georgetown.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

I have a 2011 378TS, one year old, and when the dealer had it last, when I picked it up they said "oh, by the way, when our technician stepped out of the coach onto the steps, it collapsed". Apparently that same bolt sheared off. He was not hurt because he was holding onto the safety rail. The said they obtained a replacement bolt kit (whatever that is) and repaired it.

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Lottery Non-Winner

Henri, I'm glad Tom didn't get hurt. I'm also glad you found some temporary steps so it doesn't ruin your weekend. I'm going to have to inspect mine to make sure it's okay. Do you suppose it is a design flaw in earnest? Or just that they used the wrong grade of bolt (tensile and shear strength)? You didn't happen to take pictures did you?

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #5

There is only one bolt - no built in redundancy in case of a failure. We think that is a design failure. However, the tensile strength of the bolt probably has a lot to do with it as well. Tom thinks it has some flex in it. I'll send you a photo text.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We had the same thing happen to our 2012 Georgetown 378.
We were on our way home from a two day visit to Forest River in Elkhart.
They fixed up a lot of little things and I was feeling really good at how they had looked after us. We stopped in to spend the weekend with family in OH before we return to ON. I stepped out of the coach and the steps collapsed. It is also that same pin that sheared off. The pin is large but near the top it is much smaller. I call Coach Net and they would send someone out to tie the steps up at no charge but I would have to pay for and hour or two even if they did it in 15 minutes. I got the SIL to help me and we tied it up. Coach Net did find a dealer 40 miles south or 60 miles north that would fix it. I think I will cancel that appointment and go on home and have the dealer there look after it. I do have a ladder to get the DW in and out.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #7

We now have a pair of spare bolts and a bit that will drill out the old bolt. Hopefully, this will not become routine. You'd think someone would redesign these steps and replace them before someone is seriously injured.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Think I would be getting a Gr 8 bolt and having it machined to match the factory one and replacing it or them or opening up the small hole to increase the diameter that is being sheared.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #9

This is the first I've heard of this one! Can anyone tell me which bolt is being sheared off?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #10

Ohiobill, on mine (2007 373) it is the linkage that connects the steps
to each outher. I've lost/sheared off 3 so now i have 2 extra bolts on hand.
for the next time. I Love R/Ving, its an adventure. Ya never know.....