Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #1

Georgetown 350 Windshield wipers

Anyone have issues with their windshield wipers. My Georgetown is brand new (2011) and on the down stroke of the wiper, it bounces and does not wipe clean. Also, in high winds, the wipers tend to lift off of the windshield...I have never seen this before. Hopefully I am not driving in high winds again but I would like to replace the wiper blades so they wipe smoothly. The solid curved window seems to be the issue in that it is not a flat surface.
blightle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blightle View Post
Anyone have issues with their windshield wipers. My Georgetown is brand new (2011) and on the down stroke of the wiper, it bounces and does not wipe clean. Also, in high winds, the wipers tend to lift off of the windshield...I have never seen this before. Hopefully I am not driving in high winds again but I would like to replace the wiper blades so they wipe smoothly. The solid curved window seems to be the issue in that it is not a flat surface.
No problem with ours however I had seen the wind issue on our last rig. Might start with a new set of blades. You don't know how long the "new" ones on your rig sat around before they were installed.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #3

Good point, even though the unit is new, the blades could have been sitting in a box for quite some time.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good brand of wiper blade that seems to work well?
blightle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #4

NWjeeper has a 2 piece windshield and maybe the wipers are different, but my wipers are almost worthless compared to any other vehicle I've owned. There really is not much pressure holding them to the glass and the motor struggles moving them across anything less than rain soaked glass.

I haven't missed them though. Polish on a coat of Rain-x and you wont need them. The airflow across the screen continuously blows the glass clean with the Rain-x in the heaviest storms I've encountered so far. Plus, it makes it easier to remove the bugs you collect. I love having that big sheet of glass clean while traveling, it's like you're in a Imax movie, but it's a pain to keep clean.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #5

Good point on the difference in windshield curve. NWjeeper and I have the two piece windshield and i have never had any problem with the wipers not removing the rain clear on the windshield. And what ronhanson said, rain-x is a good bet for any windshield. I would try new blades and maybe someone else with a 2009 or newer Georgetown will drop in and see if they are having any problems. I do leave a tennis ball under my wiper arms so the wipers hang free from the windshield when parked. That removes all of the pressure from the blades so they remain curved.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #6

I normally hate Rain-x since it's hard to get it haze free. I don't use it on my other vehicles, but it works very well on the motorhome windows. It even helps keep water spots off the other windows and saves my time cleaning them.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Why all the worry over windshield wipers. Don't you know it never rains when you go camping, but you do occasionally get a sudden increase in humidity. Sorry, couldn't help it. Bosch makes a great blade, but if the rubber is allowed to curl any at all, they will hop, skip, and jump, on a slightly wet windshield, and make a noise. Wiper blades aren't what they used to be. I have fairly good results with Carquest. Good Luck
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
Good point on the difference in windshield curve. NWjeeper and I have the two piece windshield and i have never had any problem with the wipers not removing the rain clear on the windshield. And what ronhanson said, rain-x is a good bet for any windshield. I would try new blades and maybe someone else with a 2009 or newer Georgetown will drop in and see if they are having any problems. I do leave a tennis ball under my wiper arms so the wipers hang free from the windshield when parked. That removes all of the pressure from the blades so they remain curved.
I have the same two piece windshield as well and do the tennis ball thing also. I replaced the blades once in three plus years and they work as well as the original ones. Love the Rain-X. It's pretty cool watching the water race to the sides without using the wipers. The wiper arms on mine have a decent amount of tension to the windshield. I'll have to check if it's adjustable when I get home. Maybe FR changed vendors for the wiper assemblies on the new models?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #9

Wiper Insulation

I'm using styrofoam pipe insulation on my wipers. It's pre-slit and comes in 6 foot or so lengths at Home Depot or any other "guy stuff" store. Cut it to length and you have U.V. protection as well as keeping the rubber off the glass. Just remember to take it off when you leave else you get the guffaws when the rain hits and the styrofoam doesn't.
Lawfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #10

On mynew 373 the wippers move very slow on the upswing,almost stoping.I will try the rain x
franbourget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #11

Have 2011 Georgetown had trouble with wipers on down stroke since new. I think the problem is that the arm hold the blade at an angle that want let the blade flop over on down stroke and the blade will bounce if not full wet.
Have thought I would replace wiper blades, but the wiper arm is wider than normal and can't find a blade to fit the arm.

thanks DC
dcorn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
Sherlock

I replaced the blades on my 2012 & it did not help.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn44 View Post
Have 2011 Georgetown had trouble with wipers on down stroke since new. I think the problem is that the arm hold the blade at an angle that want let the blade flop over on down stroke and the blade will bounce if not full wet.
Have thought I would replace wiper blades, but the wiper arm is wider than normal and can't find a blade to fit the arm.

thanks DC
Try that product "Rainex" which coats the glass with a slippery surface, also keeps rain from collecting, others had success much better wiper operation,
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #14

I always put tennis balls under the wiper arms when not driving to keep the blade off the windshield most of the time. Never had a problem after I started doing this.
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Mine did the same thing. The dealer told me to use Rainx but didn't help. When we stopped in at Forest River in Elkhart they slightly twisted the arms so the wiper blades made even contact on both the up and down stroke. That worked and they told me not to use Rainx.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #16

Good feedback......
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #17

I have a 2012 350 XL and my driver's side wiper gets pushed by the wind on the upswing and blows past the curve of the windshield on the far side of the window causing it to slap hard on the window. Very surprising the first time I used them. Happens every stroke if we are going above 30mph or so. Anyone else have this happen?
K9-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-24 View Post
I have a 2012 350 XL and my driver's side wiper gets pushed by the wind on the upswing and blows past the curve of the windshield on the far side of the window causing it to slap hard on the window. Very surprising the first time I used them. Happens every stroke if we are going above 30mph or so. Anyone else have this happen?
Take a look at the spring tension as well as the angle of the arm when it is in the location. YOu may have to try and get it to stop in that location while sitting . Then you can examine how it is pressing against the window in that location.
I have heard dealers just twist the arm a little to make it work better.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #19

I twisted My blade arms and got them to look parrall to the window and the wipers work very well.
K9-24 you might want to take the wiper blade off and rotate it to the center of the windshield, one notch on the shaft make a lot of change on the location of the wiper blade.
dcorn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #20

Thanks Iggy and Dcorn. I will try your suggestions!
K9-24 is offline   Reply With Quote