Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #1

Georgetown 351DS Coach Batteries Going Dead

2015 Forest River Georgetown 351DS Batteries are going dead. My ProWatt SW light keeps shutting down after a period of time. I am hooked up to 110 shore power in my driveway and after a period of time, maybe an hour so, the ProWatt SW light shuts off and I assume, I am no longer charging coach batteries. No fuses blow. The coach disconnect stays on. When I turn engine on, I am able to rest ProWatt SW button and batteries begin to re-charge. Went camping this weekend and the same happens under 30 amp service. Any ideas what the problem might be?? Help! Thanks!
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
Insert witty title here

Are these flooded batteries?

Have you been keeping them topped off with distilled water?

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #3

Yes, Topped them off about two months ago
Old 11-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

When the ProWatt shuts off, I cannot reset. When I start the engine, I am able to reset. Doesn't make sense to me why the chassis battery would affect ability to reset.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #5
toolman_57

Just a guess--but you may have tripped one of the breakers in the battery compartment, or maybe the prowatt charger is having some problems. Sounds like you're only getting a charge to the batteries from the 12v engine circuit.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #6

Not sure how your unit is wired, but even if " The coach disconnect stays on." it does not mean that the batteries are receiving a charge. I assumed you are talking about the light on the Battery disconnect switch. If you disconnect from shore power and the light goes out then I suspect the batteries are disconnected and not receiving a charge.
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:15 AM   #7

Your Pro Watt converts 12V from your batterys to AC for your refrigerator. It doesn't charge your batterys.
Your battery charger is in the big rear cargo bay near where the power cord comes in. There is an AC outlet back there that it should be plugged into.
Your battery disconnect switch stays lit even in the off position. Make sure it is on or your battery's will not charge when connected to shore power.
The alternator charges the batterys when the engine is running, that is why your Pro Watt runs for a short time after you have had the engine running.
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Your Pro Watt converts 12V from your batterys to AC for your refrigerator. It doesn't charge your batterys.
Your battery charger is in the big rear cargo bay near where the power cord comes in. There is an AC outlet back there that it should be plugged into.
Your battery disconnect switch stays lit even in the off position. Make sure it is on or your battery's will not charge when connected to shore power.
The alternator charges the batterys when the engine is running, that is why your Pro Watt runs for a short time after you have had the engine running.
Apparently, someone unplugged the charger from AC outlet in rear cargo bay. I think one of my grandkids might have caught their bicycle on the cord. Thanks for that tip, It would have taken a while for me to trace. Question: Other than the fridge, is there anything else the Pro Watt powers? Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:21 PM   #9

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I am a newby to RVing. Always a boater and using the knowledge I gained from my cruiser. Finding out there are some differences between my water boat and my road boat.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
toolman_57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
Apparently, someone unplugged the charger from AC outlet in rear cargo bay. I think one of my grandkids might have caught their bicycle on the cord. Thanks for that tip, It would have taken a while for me to trace. Question: Other than the fridge, is there anything else the Pro Watt powers? Thanks for all your help.
Take a look at the "mods to my 364ts" thread. In the 364, the inverter (pro watt) runs only the refrigerator. We have 4 house batteries and a 2000w inverter--much more capacity than we need for just the fridge. Some of us have added to the circuit to run the living room TV and the dining/living room slide out.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #11

Thanks, I will take a look.

Tags
georgetown