Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #1

Georgetown 351ds Mods, Tips & Tricks

Since there are so many of us on here with new 351ds's, let's start a thread for mods, tips and tricks!
I'll get started and add pics next chance I get (it's in storage till the 26th).

Mods Done:
1. Added Levelor room darkening roller shades to darken the cab at night. Fit very easy, bought them from Lowe's for $10-$40 each depending on size, total cost about $180. If you park in a walmart parking lot without them, it will be daylight inside!
2. Added progressive 50amp hardwire surge protector (protects from both shore power and generator)
3. 1" valve stem extensions for rear wheels (my air guage would not fit without them)

Planned:
1. Garmin Dezl 760lmt with Garmin Ecoroute/Mechanic module. Going to probably add a power port under the dash for it, the splitter i bought isn't working very well.
2. Add a speaker and switch in the cab so i can hear the radio while driving
3. Add DVD player for bedroom TV
4. Cheap Handling Fix
5. Purchase Sears 1.5 gallon 150 psi portable air compressor (my big air compressor doesn't work so well at high PSI, after every tire I have to dump air to get it to kick on and pump back up)

Considering:
1. Add TV/DVD for front bunk
2. Shelves/organization in the basement compartments

Lessons Learned:
1. Get a set of small filter pliers to remove the Generator oil filter and WEAR GLOVES. The oil fills S L O W L Y.
2. The Driver's side map light turns on with the dimmer switch, not the map light switch.
3. Lock ALL doors before driving off - main door and storage compartment doors.
4. Shell gas stations won't let you swipe the same credit card twice within an hour, even at different shell stations 30 miles apart.
5. To get the stairs to close when you store it, shut the screen door. Then you can reach the power disconnect button through the hole in the screen door. Then shut the main door.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

ok Great. Nice mods. Garmin is a nice one. Also the TV for the front bunk.. I have one I can mount. Pic? Where did you place it?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #3

Smile

Here's one...if you don't plan to have the washer/dryer, what can we do with the space?
Also, we are picking our Georegetown up this week so I don't know if there's a propane outlet for a BBQ like our TT had...Anyone add one for their BBQ or gas cooktop?
Thanks, Tim
Old 05-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #4

Garmin dezl 760LMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networx View Post
Since there are so many of us on here with new 351ds's, let's start a thread for mods, tips and tricks!
I'll get started and add pics next chance I get (it's in storage till the 26th).

Planned:
1. Garmin Dezl 760lmt with Garmin Ecoroute/Mechanic module. Going to probably add a power port under the dash for it, the splitter i bought isn't working very well.
Networx: Let me know if you're seriously going to pull the trigger on the dezl 760LMT and what you found the best price to be. I might be able to 1 up it! ;-)

http://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #5

Great ideas and mods.
I want ypo know what you think of Garmin Ecoroute plugin.
Is it worth it?
Does it give you transmission temps more accurately?
What other functions do you like using the EcoRoute?

Thanks

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #6

The one review I saw on Amazon (there's more than one but it stuck out to me) is that the Ecoroute only works on auto mode. I cannot confirm or deny.

Amazon.com: Garmin Dezl 760LMT 7-Inch Bluetooth Trucking GPS with Lifetime Maps & Traffic: GPS & Navigation

Mostly works, February 20, 2013
By
AndyInRV - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Garmin Dezl 760LMT 7-Inch Bluetooth Trucking GPS with Lifetime Maps & Traffic (Electronics)
The Dezl 760 works as advertised.
There are some issues however:
1) The ecoRoute HD accessory only works when you select automobile mode. It does not work in truck or RV mode.
2) The unit is very large. It can seriously impact your forward visibility if you use it in a small car. Also it is unstable if you use a bean bag mount. I use the bean bag because I use it in more than 1 vehicle.
3) When you are connecting it to a computer be aware that there are 2 USB slots on the device. The mini-USB slot in the back is only for charging. The micro-USB slot on the bottom is for connecting to a computer.
4) When I connected it to the computer, it indicated that I needed to update the maps. It failed in the attempt. One message I got in the process indicated it didn't have enough space on the device. The map it was trying to install is the same one that came on the device, so I don't know if it will work for future releases or not. I may need to add a microSD card.

The things I like about the unit:
1) There is a dashboard that shows 4 different data items at the bottom of the screen.
2) You can also customize 3 buttons on the right side of the screen.
3) It is easier to see and use than my Nuvi 1490.
4) It has a better receiver than my Nuvi 1490. It gets a good signal in my office downstairs. The Nuvi gets nothing.

I am using this in my RV.

http://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #7

Networx

This is the compressor I carry in my Georgetown.
Husky 3-Gal. Portable Electric Air Compressor with 9-Piece Accessory Kit and 25 ft. Coil Hose
You also can adjust cut in and off pressure so it will come on quicker for the larger tires.
Home Depot
Model # L13HPD Store SKU # 395226

$99
Attached Images

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

I guess we will find out this weekend! I did get the DEZL 760LMT and the Ecoroute sender, but I haven't been on an RV trip yet! We're doing a 1500 mile trip for a trampoline competition this weekend - I'll be setting it up Thursday and heading out Friday so I'll let you know.

There is a free android app, so worst case if it won't display on the DEZL you can still use your phone or a tablet. I've been playing with the ecoroute in my F-150 with the app on my phone and it's pretty sweet. LOTS of info.

It is not showing a transmission temp but I have a feeling the info available is dependant on the vehicle and it will be there on the F53 chassis.

I'll post a detailed review this weekend and let you know!

I ended up with the craftsman 1.5 gallon compressor - got it on sale for $90. Just keep watching Sears and K-mart, and one of them or the other will have it on sale every couple of weeks. 8pc. Portable Air Compressor: Take Craftsman Power to Go with Sears
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaeTim View Post
Here's one...if you don't plan to have the washer/dryer, what can we do with the space?
Also, we are picking our Georegetown up this week so I don't know if there's a propane outlet for a BBQ like our TT had...Anyone add one for their BBQ or gas cooktop?
Thanks, Tim
I added an auxiliary propane outlet with a quick disconnect hose for my 3 burner Camp Chef stove on my 2014 329DS. Works awesome and I finally got to leave that big, heavy propane tank in the garage last weekend. YEAH!

There's a junction point on the frame where the hot water heater/fridge/furnace gas feeds all converge. I bought some gas pipe fittings at Home Depot, a quick disconnect propane fitting and a 12 foot extension hose. I added a "T" for another gas feed and installed the quick disconnect in the outside storage bin where my 110 electric hookup is located. I simply open the bin, unscrew the access cover in the bottom, run the hose through for the grill, pop it into the quick disconnect and I'm ready to go. Total cost was about $85.00.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #10

Just to update the thread on the DEZL 760 and Ecoroute - sadly it is true that the ecoroute only works in auto mode, it won't work in RV mode. What a crazy arbitrary limitation. For what it's worth, I've complained to a couple of people at Garmin and also on their website - that limitation makes no sense. I've been using the Garmin in auto mode because of that fact. The gas mileage functionality is nice. However, it does not show a transmission temp, so a scanguage is certainly better due to those 2 factors.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote