Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

Georgetown 364TS and Extended Warranty

We pick up and close on the 2016 Georgetown 364TS on this Wednesday June 15th. What are your thoughts are an extended warranty. The dealer gave us information on a warranty through Compass and it was crazy expensive. I've talked with Good Sam and think they are have a good warranty. Any opinions and direction on this subject is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #2

I personally think they're a waste of money.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A lot of it depends on how handy you are. I know some people that couldn't change out their shoelaces, and a warranty gives them peace of mind. I have never had to use an extended warranty and usually the things that they actually cover isn't worth the price you pay. There are several threads on here about this same topic for more reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

You can get the extended coverage at another time as long as the original factory warranty is still in effect. If the costs go up then you pay the extra, I wait until my 1 year was up before making up my mind.
You can also get extended warranty from the individual appliances if you wish, Ford has 3 year on chassis. Just have a lot of reading to do to decide what to do. You can also get at least 30% off what they are asking for now.

Bill

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #5

I choose not to buy any extended warranties and I am way ahead of the savings curve.
But if you do don't pay much more than a couple thousand dollars for a $100 deductible for a 7 years contract.
Remember the RV chassis is good for 60,000 miles or 5 years as well as a 3 year bumper to bumper ford installed parts and most other items have warranties for 1, 2 and 3 years.
Coupled with warranty companies are tough to work with and can be very picky on what they repair.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #6

I felt the Good Sam was the best available for the money when I reseaarched a year or so ago....THEN....I started looking at what wasn't covered by anyone....THE WHOLE COACH!! NO one covers your roof or the coach structure. It is mostly components of your coach. FORD covers the big stuff on the chassis for 3 years. Dometic covers your A.C, Fridge etc. and YES...repairs may be needed eventually on those things but usually they last a long time if nothing goes wrong initially.
They sell you on these things by saying it's like buying a house that is in constant hurricane winds and earthquakes when you drive down the road....then they don't cover those things! Read the fine print. When they only tell you what IS covered...think hard about what isn't covered.
We ended up passing on it and saving our $$ for when the big one hits!
We did buy the Good Sam platinum roadside assistance and are happy with that...though I think Coach net is probably just as good.
Good luck with your decision making.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #7

Extend warranty companies scare you into these warranties
They tell you it will cost 10,000 dollars to replace a transmission but if the tranny goes out they will replace only the part that is bad. So if one of the clutch bands go out they replace only that clutch band and put the tranny back together with all of the used parts. They rarely replace the whole transmission.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #8

Because we were having so many issues with installing the ice maker in the freezer I purchased the Frigidaire extended warranty on the Frig, factoring in that it wasn't designed for bouncing down a road but being stable in a stationary house. The appliance repairman had to come out 4 times before with the assistance of the factory he finally figured out the issue, no problems since, so that one extended warranty is just for piece of mind.
The only other individual warranty issue I had on a fixture besides the TV in the bedroom but Forest River replaced that (the off brand Seiko or whatever it was didn't have a digital tuner to tune in cable channels with a cable box).
Anyway the only issue I've had since the unit went out of warranty in Feb was heading west on I70 through Kansas in April we had some pretty fierce winds hitting us broadside from the north, and there was a couple of thumps on the roof and a flash of something black flying off in the driver side view mirror. Low and behold it was the TV antenna. I looked up my paperwork and it showed a 2yr warranty, they were on sale at the time for around $119 to buy a replacement, so I called KingJack on the next business day, got put right through to the warranty guy who I explained what happened, he didn't directly call me a liar but he said something like no way the wind could have caused that, you're not the first person to drive on I-70 in the wind. He said it was likely caused by a low hanging branch sweeping it off. Well he said to take some pics and send them to him. So I sent the pictures below in an email to him stating there is no way a branch dart out from the side and took out the antenna without leaving so much as a scratch or mar on the AC cover or vent cover right behind the antenna. Within 5 minutes I received a reply that they would send me a new unit, and it was waiting for us when we arrived at my son's house during our trip, so a little father/son bonding time up on the roof one afternoon and new antenna for the cost of a tube of the self-leveling stuff to cover the screw holes with.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160418_084317.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	111145

Name:	20160418_084325.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	111146

Name:	20160418_084334.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	111147

Name:	20160418_084346.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	111149

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #9

People only sell these warranties because they make money on them...I think the same people start one up, sign up a bunch of people for a few years then close it down to not have to payout without a huge fight. Then they start up under a new name and repeat.

If you finance it you are paying even more for it...a lot more...
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #10

Take what it would cost for the coverage each month and put it in an account and save for that rainy day and maybe it will never come.. Much better than flushing down the toilet and that money will cover anything not the few items the insurance will cover
Old 06-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #11

Y'all are right. Someone may get lucky and buy an extended warranty on a single item and it pays off, but if one buys it on all of the items then it is a loosing gamble.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #12

Don't forget that FR offers a second year warranty on the entire coach for around $100. It's cheap insurance and covers all parts and labor for everything FR installed.

If It hasn't broken in two years of use, you're most likely out of the infant mortality phase of ownership.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:53 PM   #13

I think the 2nd year is only on trailers...not MH.
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLud View Post
I think the 2nd year is only on trailers...not MH.

I agree from all the posts it is only for TT's
Old 06-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
Don't forget that FR offers a second year warranty on the entire coach for around $100. It's cheap insurance and covers all parts and labor for everything FR installed.

If It hasn't broken in two years of use, you're most likely out of the infant mortality phase of ownership.

Phil
Yep, NOT available on motorhomes.
And it costs $150 on most trailers and on some 5th wheels, it's $250.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #16

Georgetown Extended Warranty

Good Day,
Thank you everyone for your point of view on the extended warranty. We were able to work with the dealership on a good value for the product we determined to purchase. Tire issues, windshield, parts/labor gives us peach of mind. We've read a number of the threads in the forums and there can be issues. We're happy with where we landed and are excited to hit the road. We purchased road hazard towing through Good Sam so hopefully we're covered for a while. Enjoy the summer and we appreciate your help.
Kent
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #17

What ever decision you made is a good decision. Now hit the road and enjoy your RV
Happy RVing

Tags
georgetown, warranty