Old 10-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #1

Georgetown 369XL uneven furnace heat flow

Just got a new 2018 369XL and LP furnace airflow is too strong in 1/2 bath, but poor at all other registers (a bare waft that can be felt out to about 3" from front sidewall vents and rear floor vents). Blocking off the front 1/2 bath vent doesn't increase flow to the other vents, so the damper solution some have used won't help heat the rest of the coach. That bath gets up to 95 degrees quickly. The floor beneath the furnace reads 120 deg from the exterior storage compartment using IR thermometer. Looking around the furnace, I see a direct 3" flex duct from rear cutout to 1/2 bath. the rest of the system is fed from beneath airbox. I'm thinking there may be construction debris in the ducting directly beneath the furnace. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to get it corrected? Thanks.

JimSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
I Break Everything

We've had a TT, two 5th wheels and now a G'town FR 351DS. The TT, one of the 5th wheels and the G'town the air flow from the heater was fine.

However one of our 5th wheels did exactly what you are saying. If you can't figure out what it is without ripping things apart and voiding warranties, TAKE IT BACK IN to service.

We fussed with this for over a year and never really got it fixed. I even talked with the manufacturer on multiple occasions, they once told me to run the fan from the AC to circulate the air. We tried dampers and all that stuff. There was almost zero air flow coming out of the living room and front bedroom.

If you know anyone that hast one of those video/snake type cameras plumbers use to look down long sewer lines I'd try that. Go from each vent towards the heater so you can see the video before you start ripping and tearing.

Good Luck.

mk

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #3

Thanks. Might borrow brother-in-law's video snake if it's long enough.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:14 PM   #4
Road Warrior

Used our furnace in our 2018 369 for the first time last week, same issue, 1/2 bath gets way too hot but since we don't use the furnace for more than an hour or so first thing in the morning I'm just going to leave the door open till we turn off the furnace

2018 Georgetown XL 369DS
Towing a VW Beetle Convertible
mikedawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedawson View Post
Used our furnace in our 2018 369 for the first time last week, same issue, 1/2 bath gets way too hot but since we don't use the furnace for more than an hour or so first thing in the morning I'm just going to leave the door open till we turn off the furnace
So I ran an endoscope through vents best I could. Wild ride and gets you seasick as the image goes in and out of focus. Lots of debris in there (mostly wood chips and insulation), but nothing I could clearly say was a blockage.

I popped the front vent off the ducting under kitchen drawers and ran a semi-rigid vacuum hose back to the furnace. Only got a handful of debris out (still saw more on camera after), but miraculously I have better air flow at all registers. Except of course that half bath that gets way too much. Gonna order a damping vent from etrailer for that. It's a head scratcher, but my airflow is good enough now that I feel we can at least keep up with cooler weather.

Tags
furnace, georgetown