Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 06:42 AM   #1

Georgetown 378 leaning to right front

First thanks for adding me to the forum! I recently purchased a 2007 Georgetown 378 with 11300 miles on it, tow thing that concerned me during our maiden voyage (only 125 miles from dealer), one we stopped about half way back to check things out and when we parked it, when approaching it from the front it was clearly leaning to the right front, and when we got home I parked it and again it appears to be leaning significantly to the right front (right being the passenger side). The other thing that was odd is that the fuel guage has not moved off of full and I dont think I am getting that good of mileage. When we test drove the MH it had a half a tank, and when we returned the next week they had filled it up before we arrived.
One thing to add to the details, the MH had already been winterized so the water tanks etc are empty, and the propane tank is full.
Thanks in advance for any insight.
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #2

Just measured from the ground to the top of the wheel opening, right front is 3 inches lower than the left front
Old 09-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #3

The only thing I can suggest is take a closer look at the leaf springs in the front.
They make look good but look closely where they mount to the front frame.
You are looking for a cracked leaf spring at that point.
The next thing is on some of the older rigs they put a spacer on the rear springs to level it out.
Look on the axle attaching point for a metal spacer plate on the drivers side. I have heard they do this and I believe someone here had the same issue and they removed the plate and all leveled out.

Oh I found the message about the other guys leaning and it was the spacer.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ide-26334.html

Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

Do a search for NWJeeper and a thread titled Listing Rig
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #5

Carmen, I purchased a 2007 Georgetown 370TS that had the exact same lean to the right [passenger side]. It measured 6 degrees off vertical leaning to the right passenger side. My right front fender was also 3" lower than the left front fender. I called Forrest River. They told me that on my model the equipment on the left side of the coach was heavier than the right. They assumed the coach would lean to the left. Therefore, they installed a wedge between the left side springs to jack up the left side of the coach a few inches.
I was advised there had been a repair notice on this during the warranty period but it was not used. I had to get my own mechanic to look and sure enough I had wedges on my left side. My mechanic removed them for me and I believe I paid around $1,000. Once the wedges were removed the coach stood up straight no matter weather the tanks were full or empty.
Check for these wedges and if that is not the problem call Forrest River Georgetown and ask what they did to your coach that would cause this. Give them the serial number of your coach so they can lookup the work papers when your coach was built.
Hope this helps.
I bought my 2007 coach in March 2010 and have had no problems with it.
Elmer G
elmerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #6

THANKS Elmer I will be crawling under mine tomorrow first thing and hope to find a spacer in mine as well. This makes perfect sense!
Old 10-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #7

My 2007 378 had the exact same issue. Took it to a truck suspension place and rather than remove a spacer on the left, they added one on the right. Been fine ever since. As for the gas gauge, it takes about 200 miles before it moves off of the full mark, but is fairly on target after that.

PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #8

Carmen, Just wondering if a spacer was your problem.
Thanks Elmer G
elmerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #9

It used to be level, then started leaning to the right. I guess it was balanced when it left the factory, then time and gravity brought one side down.

PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #10

I did indeed have a 1 inch spacer in the left rear. Haven't decided what to do about it yet. But you guys were right on target with your answers
Old 10-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #11

I read this thread with interest. I had a 2007 Georegtown 750 that leaned to the passenger side. Warranty fix was to put a wedge under the passenger side springs. While the coach then sat level it would lean terribly on left winding roads to the point it scared me. I was about to add airbags when I say the Berkshire and traded. Now you say that the factory was adding wedges as a normal course of doing business. Hard to believe. This tells me they are overloading the chassis on one side as I always thought and I would think that would be a serious safety issue. Hard to believe this goes on. Again SAFETY ISSUE. Beautiful coach but I was always scared when driving my Georgetown.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown