Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
ttg

Question Georgetown 378 tire storage

I am replacing the tires on my 2010 GT 378. I have read that it is a good idea to carry 1 spare tire to be used for roadside emergencies because the fellow who shows up to repair your flat may not have a correct tire available. I am figuring on keeping one of the tires coming off of the RV (That is in reasonable condition) as a spare.
My question is, has anyone found a good place to store the spare tire in a 378 . I suggested under the queen bed but was told that that space was being used for dinette chairs and other things.
ttg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #2

I’m not sure about our truck tires but most auto tire dealers (Discount Tire, NTB) will not mount tires older than 6 years.

ab&jb
Old 06-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
ttg

The MH is 2010. That makes the tires 4 years old. The tire I am referring to was a roadside repair in 2011 which makes it only 3 years old and almost like new.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:50 AM   #4

How many miles do you have on the tires? They should last longer than car tires.

Your 2010 is probably built on a 2009 chassis, BUT the tries are probably older than that.
Here's a link telling how to tell how old your tires are.
Reading Tire Information From Your Sidewall | Michelin Tires

I would move the under bed stuff outside and wrap the tire in plastic, but first have you measure to see if it will fit under the bed?

I may do the same.

ab&jb
Old 06-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
ttg

Thanks abjb for the info but as it turns out I know how to read the tire codes. The original equipment is Sept 2010. (These tire have 72,000 KM for your information with remaining 3/8" tread depth) The tire from the roadside replacement repair which is intended to be the spare is June 2011.
My question is not weather the tire is suitable to carry with me but does anyone have actual experience in where to carry it ?
Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #6

I don't know any Class A MH owner that carries a spare. While it would be nice, I know of no place on my GT it would fit along with the other necessities I have to travel with. Wonder if there is a way to mount it on the rear without interfering with the toad. Guess if I have an unrepairable tire issue, they'll be towing me to the nearest place to get a tire if they don't bring on with them. 16 years of RVing and have yet to have a flat. (Knock on wood)!!
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
I don't know any Class A MH owner that carries a spare. While it would be nice, I know of no place on my GT it would fit along with the other necessities I have to travel with. Wonder if there is a way to mount it on the rear without interfering with the toad. Guess if I have an unrepairable tire issue, they'll be towing me to the nearest place to get a tire if they don't bring on with them. 16 years of RVing and have yet to have a flat. (Knock on wood)!!
Believe or not back in 2007 the spare was an option on the Georgetown lines. Not sure if all models had it, but we have a trunk with a spare tire. The tire slides in flat and there's a shelf for misc. stuff. I'm getting ready to replae our tires but the spare will not be included. I know it's old but it hasn't seen the light of day so to speak and I hope I never need it to be used.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
ttg

The front drivers side tire is a Bridgestone in excellent condition. It was changed as an emergency repair and doesn't match the other 5 Michelins. I am putting on 6 new Michelins and keeping the Bridgestone for an emergency repair if ever needed.
I have been waiting 3 weeks for the dealer to receive the Michelin tires. The 235/80R X 22.5 XRV's have been on a nation wide backorder. I was told that it could be a 3 day delivery at the best of times.
It just makes sense to me that if you have a perfectly good tire available, it could save a whole lot of hurt at the side of the road.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #9

I see several adds on craigslist for used 22.5” tires, $50 each… instead of paying your tire dealer to dispose of them.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
ttg

Thanks for that abjb. That's an interesting concept. A full set of Michelins in Canada installed, balanced and disposal with tax runs close to $4,000.
My tires are going back to the manufacturer for a credit because they are showing cracking on the side wall at only 4 years old and have very even wear with still 3/8 inch tread depth left.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #11

I have a 2012 Georgetown and it is the first A of many that I have had but the first one w/o a spare. I will be mounting one (including rim) under the back floor of the coach,outside, in back of the gas tank. An angle from one side rail to the other will hold the tire. A couple of bolts through the rim and you're good to go.

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #12

I have a 2008 370 Georgetown and the spare tire fits in a compartment between the tail lights.
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #13

I have thought about this and there is enough room behind the gas tank for a spare tire. and though of having a shop mount a carrier like you see on the 18 wheelers just a cradle it will slide in and you can secure it if you want.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, storage, tire