Old 10-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #1

Exclamation Georgetown 378 XL Slide drift-out when in

Last October, 2012, we purchased a new 2013 Georgetown 378XL motorhome. Shortly after taking delivery, we noticed that the right front slide would drift out anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 inches when parked in storage. The slide would be retracted and within 2-3 days, would drift out again. We took the unit to the dealer in the early spring time to have it researched and repaired. They stated that it was air in the lines and stated that it had been bled out and every thing was OK. The slide stayed in for a couple of days at the dealer, but when we returned home with it, same drift but worse 2 inches out to 6 inches on a warm spring day. The rig was returned to the dealer to fix it right. Dealer had it approx. 3 weeks and they stated that the problem was fixed and no drift for approx. 4-5 days.

In July, the drift problem again raised it head (2-6 inches). When traveling, the slide would drift approx. 1 1/2 inches in about 45 minutes of driving, thus had to pull off the road and retract the slide. This continued and the rig was again taken to the dealer for repair. The dealer stated that first, it was a ram leak (didn't see any hydraulic oil so puzzled by their statement, later revised their analysis to state that it was valve bypass leakage. It continued to drift out and additional parts were said to have been replaced. This has been going on at the dealer since August 18th.

Went to the dealer to pick up the rig today (October 14, 2013) after they stated that the repair was successful, only to find out that the slide drifted out approx. 1 inch over the past weekend. It is still at the dealer to be repaired!

I believe that this type of issued plagued one of the other members and that they ultimately had to drive their unit from the west coast to the factory in the Midwest to have the problem fixed. Apparently, Forest River covered the costs to get the rig to and from the factory for the repair. Does any one know what that problem ultimately was and how it was repaired or if Lipert had to replace the complete hydraulic unit which had a defect internally.

My one year warranty will be up in a couple of weeks...I don't want to have FR walk away from this problem...the dealer has had the rig in their shop three times now and has had the unit for the greater part of 4 months this late spring, summer and now fall.

Would appreciate any insight that others have had with similar experience.

Just as a note, the other two slides (Left front and bedroom) have not experienced the drift problem, although when operating any one of the slides seems to have an affect on the other when out with slight jerking movement......maybe an indication of a problem with the central unit internally.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #2

Call Steve at Forest River and start the documentation with FR. Sounds to me like a solenoid/valve problem.

Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #3

Thank you very much for the contact. Will call in the morning. Do you have a Phone number and extension?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #4

I would first see if your tank is full with ATF fluid.
You may have a leak somewhere and you still getting air into system.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJJWright View Post
Thank you very much for the contact. Will call in the morning. Do you have a Phone number and extension?
Steve @ FR 574 206 7611. Steve should work with you.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #6

Yes Steve is the guy. He worked for Lippert on these systems and knows them inside and out. The slides and jacks are a push/pull design. The pump places in the order of 3000 psi holding them out and the same in. Even the slightest internal leak in the hydraulics will cause a relaxation in the piston. It is possible there is a leak back in the control valves dribbling the fluid back to the reservoir if you do not have an external leak like Iggy said. Let us know what happens.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #7

Slide drifts while driving

I have a similar problem on my 2005 326XL. The living room slide started drifting a few inches a few years ago and the problem has gotten to the point where the slide must be braced inside to move the RV. The dealer who sold me the RV gave me the same list of answers, air in the lines, valve bad etc. etc..One valve was replaced and the provlem appeared to be resolved for a few days then the slide would drift again. I have concluded they have no idea how to fix the problem. I would be deighted to hear what the fix is for your RV. I found your post while looking for instructions on how to adjust the slide. I have also found the slide support rollers inside the RV body do not line up with the metal structure in the bottom of the slide. As a result the rollers are riding on thin fiberglass and starting to punch a hole in the fiberglass bottom of the slide. I have seen this problem in earlier models, suggest you check the bottom of you slide for any signs of "drag marks" on the bottom of your slide.
I would appreciate any info that would help me diagnose/repair the drift problem.

Tags
georgetown, slide