Old 08-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Thanks for all the info. Now, does anyone have any idea how this compares to the diesel pullers and pushers?

nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #12

Depending on the rig, the way it is outfitted and the engine, diesels can either get the same mileage or a little better. It will usually not be hugely better though and the added cost of diesel fuel in most areas will offset the slightly better mileage.

You can't choose a motorhome based on mileage. You have to go with what works for your lifestyle. Diesels are great if you have to carry a lot of stuff with you (like full timers that are retired) on the road as they have the extra capacity. However maintenance is more expensive and availability to parts on the road can be harder than for gas rigs. Just about any parts store has parts for a Ford engine but very few will have parts for a CAT or Cummins engine.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Depending on the rig, the way it is outfitted and the engine, diesels can either get the same mileage or a little better. It will usually not be hugely better though and the added cost of diesel fuel in most areas will offset the slightly better mileage.

You can't choose a motorhome based on mileage. You have to go with what works for your lifestyle. Diesels are great if you have to carry a lot of stuff with you (like full timers that are retired) on the road as they have the extra capacity. However maintenance is more expensive and availability to parts on the road can be harder than for gas rigs. Just about any parts store has parts for a Ford engine but very few will have parts for a CAT or Cummins engine.
I am not buying a motorhome based on mileage. We are full timers and retired and we carry practially everything we own. However, I don't see how the added cost of diesel fuel could offset say a 2 mpg increase in fuel economy. In most areas diesel fuel is about $.30 per gallon higher, at $2.70 a gallon for gas that is a 1.1% increase. Say you were getting 7 mpg with a gasser and now 9 mpg, which is not out of the question, with the diesel, that is a 28.5% increase. Even a 1 mpg increase would be a 14.25% gain. The maintainance is a little higher because of the amount of oil used, but I'm sure a V10 Ford uses more than 5 qts. and consider the fact you'll never have to replace 10 spark plugs with the diesel. Anyway, the main reason I was asking about the mileage difference would be to see if a diesel would be worth the extra money it costs to get one even for a full timer. Really, to me, it doesn't look like it is, as long as there are no problems with the toad and the weight of carrying almost everthing we own. I know we sure like the Georgetowns, they have some really cool floorplans. Especially, for people like us that full time.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #14

Don, many diesel owners I talk to at the pump and a few friends that have them are reporting mileage of nearly the same as I am getting. A good friend of mine just bought a country coach and was all excited to get better mileage until he read the log book the previous owner had kept, low and behold he had gotten almost identical mileage as we do. No gain there. I don't try and figure the savings of mileage for a reason to buy one over the other. The reasons for a diesel are carrying capacity, ride and handling. When we go full time we may very well move up to a diesel but for now it doesn't make sense for us.

As for the V10, yes it only takes 6 quarts of oil, 5W20 at that, like water, I don't understand how they can lubricate an engine on that. Since we only use ours for about 70 days a year it will be a LONG time before I have to change plugs and then they are only $2 or $3 each so it's negligable.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #15

As I've said mileage is not going to be our determining factor. We've pretty well made up or minds on a Georgetown with the Ford V10. Especially since it will be our first motorhome since we had a 23 ft. Class A with a 454 chevy in it in the early eighties. The only thing that worries me is how it will handle the weight and the toad (Ford Focus). Saying all of that, I am sold on the diesels as a tow vehicle. Gassers just don't make it towing a 38 ft. 14,000 lb. fifthwheel. I don't care what gasser you are talking about the difference in the torque is too great. Our Dodge Cummins pulls our Big Horn with ease. How does your Georgetown handle your toad? Do you notice a difference with it back there? Those are the things I'm worried about. because we make a 1500 mile trip twice a year to and from south Texas. Luckily, its through pretty much flat terrain. Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #16

Back in April we traded our BigHorn 3500 for a Georgetown 330TS with Ford chassis. We pulled the fiver with a Ford SD250 Power Stroke which got about 11-12 mpg most of the time. Only been out in the Georgetown 3 times, so cannot comment on MPG, but did not trade on MPG. We are going to travel alot after Sep 10 and wanted comfort on the road and easy setup. So far we are very pleased with our choice.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
As I've said mileage is not going to be our determining factor. We've pretty well made up or minds on a Georgetown with the Ford V10. Especially since it will be our first motorhome since we had a 23 ft. Class A with a 454 chevy in it in the early eighties. The only thing that worries me is how it will handle the weight and the toad (Ford Focus). Saying all of that, I am sold on the diesels as a tow vehicle. Gassers just don't make it towing a 38 ft. 14,000 lb. fifthwheel. I don't care what gasser you are talking about the difference in the torque is too great. Our Dodge Cummins pulls our Big Horn with ease. How does your Georgetown handle your toad? Do you notice a difference with it back there? Those are the things I'm worried about. because we make a 1500 mile trip twice a year to and from south Texas. Luckily, its through pretty much flat terrain. Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.
If I were pulling a trailer I would definitely go with a diesel, no question there. Our 378 is one of the heavier floorplans on the F53 chassis and we pull a very modified Jeep Wrangler that weighs in at between 4500# and 4800# (I've lost count of all the weight I have added over the years to it) and we pull our local passes at speed limit (55 or 45 depending on the pass) so no problems there. As for knowing it's back there, yes you can feel the difference in acceleration but going down the road it is great. Compared to our old motorhome on the Workhorse chassis with the smaller engine it is night and day. Only thing I want to change is to add the rear air bag springs to help with side to side sway but that has nothing to do with the toad.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #18

We towed a 2007 Saturn Aura that weighted 3500 lbs and it was no problem towing it out west or down south to Florida. The 2010 Escape weights about the same and I see no difference. The only difference between towing and not towing is stopping. We use the Roadmaster Even Brake to slow us down when we stop. gas millage is about the same for towing and not towing. We also had a large 5th wheel and towed it with a GMC duramax. It was a great package. But looking at the motorhomes, and our age, we decided that the difference in price was too much for the years we have left traveling. Besides we couldn't find a floor plan that we liked. we saw the 378 on a 2007 Georgetown and that was it. When the 2008s came out, we ordered ours.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
We towed a 2007 Saturn Aura that weighted 3500 lbs and it was no problem towing it out west or down south to Florida. The 2010 Escape weights about the same and I see no difference. The only difference between towing and not towing is stopping. We use the Roadmaster Even Brake to slow us down when we stop. gas millage is about the same for towing and not towing. We also had a large 5th wheel and towed it with a GMC duramax. It was a great package. But looking at the motorhomes, and our age, we decided that the difference in price was too much for the years we have left traveling. Besides we couldn't find a floor plan that we liked. we saw the 378 on a 2007 Georgetown and that was it. When the 2008s came out, we ordered ours.
Ease of set up and our ages are one of the big reason's we are going to a motorhome next and we've decided the Georgetown Ford V10 is the way for us to go. Now if we can decide on a floorplan. The queen sized bed is a problem in the 378TS. The overhead TV and the smaller kitchen is a problem with the 374TS. But, then the big refrigerator is a plus in the 378TS. Trials and tribulations. Just can't figure out how to spend our money.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #20

Well if you don't mind sleeping apart an air matress on the hide-a-bed couch is quite comfy. We sometimes do this if one of us is snoring too loud

The selling point for the 378 was the living room. We love the TV being in front of the couch where it doesn't hurt your neck to watch it and the fireplace is nice on those cold days too, keeps the rig warm.

www.nwjeepn.com

Tags
378ts