Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #21

You mentioned losing the living space from the engine / drivers area (class A vs 5th wheel) and while there is some loss in our Georgetown the driver and passenger seats swivel sideways (not all the way around which "I" think they should). That effectively adds that area as living space. In a class C the drivers area on a different level is sort of lost when you aren't driving.

We do not have a toad yet (and yes I am eager to hear opinions so long as the proposed vehicle can accomodate 2 booster seats and one car seat in addition to parents!). I drove from Calgary down I-15 through Montana, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California and then up the coast (yes I drove it up highway 1) to I-80 Across California Nevada then up into Idaho, back to I-15 and back up to Canada in the past 2 weeks. The terrain is mountains. The only thing that slowed me down were serious winds (65mph). Our mileage is about what others are reporting - a bit better when I'm driving more gently. We turned on the generator to run the coach a/c when we were in Arizona and Nevada and it was 112 degrees outside. Other than that the engine a/c was sufficient.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
You mentioned losing the living space from the engine / drivers area (class A vs 5th wheel) and while there is some loss in our Georgetown the driver and passenger seats swivel sideways (not all the way around which "I" think they should). That effectively adds that area as living space. In a class C the drivers area on a different level is sort of lost when you aren't driving.
While the driver side cannot be turned all the way around because of the steering wheel, the passenger side on our 378 can be turned 180 degrees to face the room.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
While the driver side cannot be turned all the way around because of the steering wheel, the passenger side on our 378 can be turned 180 degrees to face the room.
I suspect it's a floorplan thing. The dinette is directly behind our passenger seat so the passenger seat won't rotate that far. It will however turn sideways so you can face the folks sitting across on the couch for example.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
I am not buying a motorhome based on mileage. We are full timers and retired and we carry practially everything we own. However, I don't see how the added cost of diesel fuel could offset say a 2 mpg increase in fuel economy. In most areas diesel fuel is about $.30 per gallon higher, at $2.70 a gallon for gas that is a 1.1% increase. Say you were getting 7 mpg with a gasser and now 9 mpg, which is not out of the question, with the diesel, that is a 28.5% increase. Even a 1 mpg increase would be a 14.25% gain. The maintainance is a little higher because of the amount of oil used, but I'm sure a V10 Ford uses more than 5 qts. and consider the fact you'll never have to replace 10 spark plugs with the diesel. Anyway, the main reason I was asking about the mileage difference would be to see if a diesel would be worth the extra money it costs to get one even for a full timer. Really, to me, it doesn't look like it is, as long as there are no problems with the toad and the weight of carrying almost everthing we own. I know we sure like the Georgetowns, they have some really cool floorplans. Especially, for people like us that full time.
I'm suprised someone didn't check my figures here. $.30 is 11.1% of $2.70 not 1.1%. Around here diesel is only $.20 a gallon more than gas. Gas is $2.79 per gallon so diesel is only 7.2% more than gas. I don't want to beat this into the ground, but you'd only have to get .5 mpg better with a diesel to break even on the fuel alone. Still gonna get a Ford V10.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #25

Don, On my days off I try not to use my brain, I use it too much at work. Math is right out...
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #26

I own A 378ts 2011 model. We took our maiden voyage 3900 mi. trip A couple of months ago and were pleasantly surprised with the power of the coach.My mileage was 7.1 towing A honda CRV up and down the hills easily passing the trucks.
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #27

Seats

I have a GT 378 and I have had both seats facing into the living area. Try this, slide the drivers seat is all the way back, steering wheel all the way up, arm rest is down and seat is lowered all the way. Tilt seat back forward an turn the seat to the right. It will rub on the steering wheel but not much. It may take you a couple of tries but you can do it, it's like a puzzle. I only do this when I need the extra seat.
Mandy
Partner
johnnyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #28

Two points need to be made. Fuel consumption is the cheapest part of RV'ing. If the cost of fuei gives you cause for concern then I doubt that RV'ing is right for you. You will absolutely s**t when you realize the cost of depreciation. Your first years depreciation cost would fill your motorhome with fuel for the rest of your life.

The second point is that RV delers tell you what they think you want to hear. Ours told us to expect 13 to 15 mpg. My wife was ecstatic but I cautioned her that we should expect about half of that.
I don't keep track of miles per gallon since they are what they are and all the hoping they were much better is a waste of energy, no pun intended.
Lloyd
starburst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjoe View Post
I have a GT 378 and I have had both seats facing into the living area. Try this, slide the drivers seat is all the way back, steering wheel all the way up, arm rest is down and seat is lowered all the way. Tilt seat back forward an turn the seat to the right. It will rub on the steering wheel but not much. It may take you a couple of tries but you can do it, it's like a puzzle. I only do this when I need the extra seat.
With our drivers seat we moved it on the pedestal so that it would move farther back as both of us had a hard time getting far enough away from the wheel to be comfortable. I assume this is why we can't get ours turned all the way around, although it doesn't really bother us.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
I'm suprised someone didn't check my figures here. $.30 is 11.1% of $2.70 not 1.1%. Around here diesel is only $.20 a gallon more than gas. Gas is $2.79 per gallon so diesel is only 7.2% more than gas. I don't want to beat this into the ground, but you'd only have to get .5 mpg better with a diesel to break even on the fuel alone. Still gonna get a Ford V10.
Sounds like you have made up your mind..!! Excellent choice if I do say so..!! I used a Super Duty with V10 to pull my fiver and would consider NOTHING else for power when choosing our motorhome. Have owned three diesel pickups and want no more. Noisy, stink, expensive to service and expensive to repair. Have to stand in goo around the diesel pumps. Have to wear gloves to handle the nozzle. Been there done that, aint going back..!! Take the money difference between the diesel engine and the gas engine and put it in the bank. Diesels belong in trucks and equipment weighing 40,000lbs and heavier IMHO.!
Our G'town has produced a best of 9.1MPG. Towing it gets high 7's to very low 8's. The ford v10 has overhead cams, which mean it can twist some serious RPMs. If you set the cruise on 62, it will do 62 even if it has to downshift 3 times and turn 5000RPM to do it..!! This will be the only time you will hear the engine because it will be bellowing pretty loud at 5000RPM. And this engine loves to turn RPMs! My experience is to use the cruise on level roads and use my foot in hilly areas. This way you can keep the engine RPM more to your liking and will get better MPG numbers doing it. I have gone on long enough. Thanks for choosing a motorhome with a Ford chassis and not the GM (Government Motors) chassis..!!

Tags
378ts