Old 08-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Question Georgetown 378TS MPH

We are now in a 38ft. fifthwheel and towing with a 2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, CTD. We are considering buying a 2011 Georgetown 378TS with the Ford V10 Chassis and are wondering what kind fuel economy (probably not the right words) I should expect with this setup. We would be towing our Ford Focus as we are full-timers. Depending on wind conditions and terrain I get 8 to 12 mpg with our current rig.

nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would guess 6~8 towing a a car. Maybe 8~10 without towing. These are guesses, as I don't have one, just remembering what others have said with similar set ups. I can say this, if fuel economy is going to make or break the deal, forget it. 50 cent hike in fuel prices and your camping days are over, except in your own yard.

My take is this, fuel mileage is what it is, and can't be altered a lot, maybe one mile per gallon. Never make a deal on fuel mileage, it won't pay for itself, ever. There those who will disagree, and that's fine.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #3

We have a Georgetown 315DS SE LTD with the Ford V10 and average about 8 MPG with a light foot and no toad. The few times that we 've pushed the rig hard the MPG only drops to about 7 MPG. We plan to get a toad in the near future.
The MPG variances are not that great even with your current TT set up so the decision really comes down to a matter of personal choice and convenience. This is our first RV and we've never had any experience with a TT. We love our Georgetown and based on our little bit of RVing experience we prefer a motorhome over a TT.
My bladder can go a few more miles than my DW (SWMBO) and with the motorhome she can get up and hit the head while we are moving. DW also loves the access to be able to prepare lunch or snacks while motoring. With a TT that requires pulling over and/or some additional prep and planning.
That's our 2 cents.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #4

We have a 357 (37 foot). With a toad we average just below 7 in the mountains, 7.5 with the toad on flat Florida ground. I traded up from a towable and diesel pickup but the sacrifice in fuel economy is we worth it in my opinion
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I would guess 6~8 towing a a car. Maybe 8~10 without towing. These are guesses, as I don't have one, just remembering what others have said with similar set ups. I can say this, if fuel economy is going to make or break the deal, forget it. 50 cent hike in fuel prices and your camping days are over, except in your own yard.

My take is this, fuel mileage is what it is, and can't be altered a lot, maybe one mile per gallon. Never make a deal on fuel mileage, it won't pay for itself, ever. There those who will disagree, and that's fine.
We are full-timers, so of course fuel economy isn't going to make or break the deal. Our camping days won't be over until we can't physically do it. we love the lifestyle. During our three years of full-timing we have noticed that full-timing rigs are split pretty evenly between fifthwheels and motorhomes. My observations are these; when you are camped for a long time as we often do, the fifthwheels are a better set-up because there is just more room in them per foot because of not losing the space in the driving and engine areas. But, when you are traveling and moving every couple of days the motorhome set-up excells because of ease of set-up and having the generator. Also, the ease of unhooking and rehitching the toad as compared to the tow vehicle. We do this often too. We just thougt we'd like to try a gas motorhome before investing in a diesel pusher and the Georgetown looks like a good one to us.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Our 370 TS is basically the same size as the 378. We get 7-7.5 while towing my Grand AM and 8 +or- without towing anything. We aren't full-timers but enjoy the conveniences of our motorhome.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Pete

We have a 2010 378TS. Tow either two motorcycles or Jeep Liberty.

Towing we get around 7MPG. Not towing I get around 8MPG. I've gotten as high as 8.5 not towing according to the on-board computer; if indeed that is accurate. Against the wind and towing will make a great difference.

We enjoy the floorplan. It's well laid out and very functional. Especially the TV across from the sofa/seating area, and not up front above the dash.
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartonhl View Post
We have a 2010 378TS. Tow either two motorcycles or Jeep Liberty.

Towing we get around 7MPG. Not towing I get around 8MPG. I've gotten as high as 8.5 not towing according to the on-board computer; if indeed that is accurate. Against the wind and towing will make a great difference.

We enjoy the floorplan. It's well laid out and very functional. Especially the TV across from the sofa/seating area, and not up front above the dash.
We are also looking at the 374TS mainly because it has a king size bed and we are a large couple. We also like the double lavoratory bathroom and island kitchen in the 374TS, that's always been a problem with us. We know the TV in the front above the dash is kind of a drawback. We have friends with a Winnebago Adventurer Workhorse chassis with that set-up and that is one thing they don't like and they are looking at the 378TS because of it.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #9

We have the 2008 Gerogetown 378 and we averaged 8.1 mpg on a 4800 mile trip out west traveling at 63-65. That included the mts on I-90 towing a Saturn Aura. In the Mts it dropped to 7.5. Were like you coming from a 38ft Montana and a Duramax engine getting 12-13 mpg and went to a gasser making 8. But its worth it. No more lugging wood around to level off the tires. The automatic jacks do it all. We also chose the 378 for the floor plan. With opposing slides in the living room, it opens to close to 13 ft wide. We snowbird in the winter in Florida and it works great. We have plenty of room inside. We use the firplace for suplement heat in the winter. Left two of the dining chairs at home and use folding chairs for company. Only wish we had more storage room outside. we carry a compressor and some tools and that takes up a couple of compartments.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #10

We have an 09' Georgetown 378TS and pull a rather heavy Jeep Wrangler. We have been to Arizona and back from our home in Washington which is a lot of mountain passes to cross. We have around 10,000 miles on it and have never seen over 7mpg with ours, even towing our Liberty. Usually average about 6.5 but again, we pull A LOT of mountain passes living here. Also, since we dry camp a lot we are usually always full of water, propane and close to full on gas when we head out, so we are heavy.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
378ts