Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Question Georgetown 378TS MPH

We are now in a 38ft. fifthwheel and towing with a 2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, CTD. We are considering buying a 2011 Georgetown 378TS with the Ford V10 Chassis and are wondering what kind fuel economy (probably not the right words) I should expect with this setup. We would be towing our Ford Focus as we are full-timers. Depending on wind conditions and terrain I get 8 to 12 mpg with our current rig.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would guess 6~8 towing a a car. Maybe 8~10 without towing. These are guesses, as I don't have one, just remembering what others have said with similar set ups. I can say this, if fuel economy is going to make or break the deal, forget it. 50 cent hike in fuel prices and your camping days are over, except in your own yard.

My take is this, fuel mileage is what it is, and can't be altered a lot, maybe one mile per gallon. Never make a deal on fuel mileage, it won't pay for itself, ever. There those who will disagree, and that's fine.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #3

We have a Georgetown 315DS SE LTD with the Ford V10 and average about 8 MPG with a light foot and no toad. The few times that we 've pushed the rig hard the MPG only drops to about 7 MPG. We plan to get a toad in the near future.
The MPG variances are not that great even with your current TT set up so the decision really comes down to a matter of personal choice and convenience. This is our first RV and we've never had any experience with a TT. We love our Georgetown and based on our little bit of RVing experience we prefer a motorhome over a TT.
My bladder can go a few more miles than my DW (SWMBO) and with the motorhome she can get up and hit the head while we are moving. DW also loves the access to be able to prepare lunch or snacks while motoring. With a TT that requires pulling over and/or some additional prep and planning.
That's our 2 cents.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #4

We have a 357 (37 foot). With a toad we average just below 7 in the mountains, 7.5 with the toad on flat Florida ground. I traded up from a towable and diesel pickup but the sacrifice in fuel economy is we worth it in my opinion
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I would guess 6~8 towing a a car. Maybe 8~10 without towing. These are guesses, as I don't have one, just remembering what others have said with similar set ups. I can say this, if fuel economy is going to make or break the deal, forget it. 50 cent hike in fuel prices and your camping days are over, except in your own yard.

My take is this, fuel mileage is what it is, and can't be altered a lot, maybe one mile per gallon. Never make a deal on fuel mileage, it won't pay for itself, ever. There those who will disagree, and that's fine.
We are full-timers, so of course fuel economy isn't going to make or break the deal. Our camping days won't be over until we can't physically do it. we love the lifestyle. During our three years of full-timing we have noticed that full-timing rigs are split pretty evenly between fifthwheels and motorhomes. My observations are these; when you are camped for a long time as we often do, the fifthwheels are a better set-up because there is just more room in them per foot because of not losing the space in the driving and engine areas. But, when you are traveling and moving every couple of days the motorhome set-up excells because of ease of set-up and having the generator. Also, the ease of unhooking and rehitching the toad as compared to the tow vehicle. We do this often too. We just thougt we'd like to try a gas motorhome before investing in a diesel pusher and the Georgetown looks like a good one to us.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Our 370 TS is basically the same size as the 378. We get 7-7.5 while towing my Grand AM and 8 +or- without towing anything. We aren't full-timers but enjoy the conveniences of our motorhome.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Pete

We have a 2010 378TS. Tow either two motorcycles or Jeep Liberty.

Towing we get around 7MPG. Not towing I get around 8MPG. I've gotten as high as 8.5 not towing according to the on-board computer; if indeed that is accurate. Against the wind and towing will make a great difference.

We enjoy the floorplan. It's well laid out and very functional. Especially the TV across from the sofa/seating area, and not up front above the dash.
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartonhl View Post
We have a 2010 378TS. Tow either two motorcycles or Jeep Liberty.

Towing we get around 7MPG. Not towing I get around 8MPG. I've gotten as high as 8.5 not towing according to the on-board computer; if indeed that is accurate. Against the wind and towing will make a great difference.

We enjoy the floorplan. It's well laid out and very functional. Especially the TV across from the sofa/seating area, and not up front above the dash.
We are also looking at the 374TS mainly because it has a king size bed and we are a large couple. We also like the double lavoratory bathroom and island kitchen in the 374TS, that's always been a problem with us. We know the TV in the front above the dash is kind of a drawback. We have friends with a Winnebago Adventurer Workhorse chassis with that set-up and that is one thing they don't like and they are looking at the 378TS because of it.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #9

We have the 2008 Gerogetown 378 and we averaged 8.1 mpg on a 4800 mile trip out west traveling at 63-65. That included the mts on I-90 towing a Saturn Aura. In the Mts it dropped to 7.5. Were like you coming from a 38ft Montana and a Duramax engine getting 12-13 mpg and went to a gasser making 8. But its worth it. No more lugging wood around to level off the tires. The automatic jacks do it all. We also chose the 378 for the floor plan. With opposing slides in the living room, it opens to close to 13 ft wide. We snowbird in the winter in Florida and it works great. We have plenty of room inside. We use the firplace for suplement heat in the winter. Left two of the dining chairs at home and use folding chairs for company. Only wish we had more storage room outside. we carry a compressor and some tools and that takes up a couple of compartments.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #10

We have an 09' Georgetown 378TS and pull a rather heavy Jeep Wrangler. We have been to Arizona and back from our home in Washington which is a lot of mountain passes to cross. We have around 10,000 miles on it and have never seen over 7mpg with ours, even towing our Liberty. Usually average about 6.5 but again, we pull A LOT of mountain passes living here. Also, since we dry camp a lot we are usually always full of water, propane and close to full on gas when we head out, so we are heavy.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #11

Thanks for all the info. Now, does anyone have any idea how this compares to the diesel pullers and pushers?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #12

Depending on the rig, the way it is outfitted and the engine, diesels can either get the same mileage or a little better. It will usually not be hugely better though and the added cost of diesel fuel in most areas will offset the slightly better mileage.

You can't choose a motorhome based on mileage. You have to go with what works for your lifestyle. Diesels are great if you have to carry a lot of stuff with you (like full timers that are retired) on the road as they have the extra capacity. However maintenance is more expensive and availability to parts on the road can be harder than for gas rigs. Just about any parts store has parts for a Ford engine but very few will have parts for a CAT or Cummins engine.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Depending on the rig, the way it is outfitted and the engine, diesels can either get the same mileage or a little better. It will usually not be hugely better though and the added cost of diesel fuel in most areas will offset the slightly better mileage.

You can't choose a motorhome based on mileage. You have to go with what works for your lifestyle. Diesels are great if you have to carry a lot of stuff with you (like full timers that are retired) on the road as they have the extra capacity. However maintenance is more expensive and availability to parts on the road can be harder than for gas rigs. Just about any parts store has parts for a Ford engine but very few will have parts for a CAT or Cummins engine.
I am not buying a motorhome based on mileage. We are full timers and retired and we carry practially everything we own. However, I don't see how the added cost of diesel fuel could offset say a 2 mpg increase in fuel economy. In most areas diesel fuel is about $.30 per gallon higher, at $2.70 a gallon for gas that is a 1.1% increase. Say you were getting 7 mpg with a gasser and now 9 mpg, which is not out of the question, with the diesel, that is a 28.5% increase. Even a 1 mpg increase would be a 14.25% gain. The maintainance is a little higher because of the amount of oil used, but I'm sure a V10 Ford uses more than 5 qts. and consider the fact you'll never have to replace 10 spark plugs with the diesel. Anyway, the main reason I was asking about the mileage difference would be to see if a diesel would be worth the extra money it costs to get one even for a full timer. Really, to me, it doesn't look like it is, as long as there are no problems with the toad and the weight of carrying almost everthing we own. I know we sure like the Georgetowns, they have some really cool floorplans. Especially, for people like us that full time.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #14

Don, many diesel owners I talk to at the pump and a few friends that have them are reporting mileage of nearly the same as I am getting. A good friend of mine just bought a country coach and was all excited to get better mileage until he read the log book the previous owner had kept, low and behold he had gotten almost identical mileage as we do. No gain there. I don't try and figure the savings of mileage for a reason to buy one over the other. The reasons for a diesel are carrying capacity, ride and handling. When we go full time we may very well move up to a diesel but for now it doesn't make sense for us.

As for the V10, yes it only takes 6 quarts of oil, 5W20 at that, like water, I don't understand how they can lubricate an engine on that. Since we only use ours for about 70 days a year it will be a LONG time before I have to change plugs and then they are only $2 or $3 each so it's negligable.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #15

As I've said mileage is not going to be our determining factor. We've pretty well made up or minds on a Georgetown with the Ford V10. Especially since it will be our first motorhome since we had a 23 ft. Class A with a 454 chevy in it in the early eighties. The only thing that worries me is how it will handle the weight and the toad (Ford Focus). Saying all of that, I am sold on the diesels as a tow vehicle. Gassers just don't make it towing a 38 ft. 14,000 lb. fifthwheel. I don't care what gasser you are talking about the difference in the torque is too great. Our Dodge Cummins pulls our Big Horn with ease. How does your Georgetown handle your toad? Do you notice a difference with it back there? Those are the things I'm worried about. because we make a 1500 mile trip twice a year to and from south Texas. Luckily, its through pretty much flat terrain. Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #16

Back in April we traded our BigHorn 3500 for a Georgetown 330TS with Ford chassis. We pulled the fiver with a Ford SD250 Power Stroke which got about 11-12 mpg most of the time. Only been out in the Georgetown 3 times, so cannot comment on MPG, but did not trade on MPG. We are going to travel alot after Sep 10 and wanted comfort on the road and easy setup. So far we are very pleased with our choice.
ArkyGeorgetown330TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
As I've said mileage is not going to be our determining factor. We've pretty well made up or minds on a Georgetown with the Ford V10. Especially since it will be our first motorhome since we had a 23 ft. Class A with a 454 chevy in it in the early eighties. The only thing that worries me is how it will handle the weight and the toad (Ford Focus). Saying all of that, I am sold on the diesels as a tow vehicle. Gassers just don't make it towing a 38 ft. 14,000 lb. fifthwheel. I don't care what gasser you are talking about the difference in the torque is too great. Our Dodge Cummins pulls our Big Horn with ease. How does your Georgetown handle your toad? Do you notice a difference with it back there? Those are the things I'm worried about. because we make a 1500 mile trip twice a year to and from south Texas. Luckily, its through pretty much flat terrain. Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.
If I were pulling a trailer I would definitely go with a diesel, no question there. Our 378 is one of the heavier floorplans on the F53 chassis and we pull a very modified Jeep Wrangler that weighs in at between 4500# and 4800# (I've lost count of all the weight I have added over the years to it) and we pull our local passes at speed limit (55 or 45 depending on the pass) so no problems there. As for knowing it's back there, yes you can feel the difference in acceleration but going down the road it is great. Compared to our old motorhome on the Workhorse chassis with the smaller engine it is night and day. Only thing I want to change is to add the rear air bag springs to help with side to side sway but that has nothing to do with the toad.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #18

We towed a 2007 Saturn Aura that weighted 3500 lbs and it was no problem towing it out west or down south to Florida. The 2010 Escape weights about the same and I see no difference. The only difference between towing and not towing is stopping. We use the Roadmaster Even Brake to slow us down when we stop. gas millage is about the same for towing and not towing. We also had a large 5th wheel and towed it with a GMC duramax. It was a great package. But looking at the motorhomes, and our age, we decided that the difference in price was too much for the years we have left traveling. Besides we couldn't find a floor plan that we liked. we saw the 378 on a 2007 Georgetown and that was it. When the 2008s came out, we ordered ours.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
We towed a 2007 Saturn Aura that weighted 3500 lbs and it was no problem towing it out west or down south to Florida. The 2010 Escape weights about the same and I see no difference. The only difference between towing and not towing is stopping. We use the Roadmaster Even Brake to slow us down when we stop. gas millage is about the same for towing and not towing. We also had a large 5th wheel and towed it with a GMC duramax. It was a great package. But looking at the motorhomes, and our age, we decided that the difference in price was too much for the years we have left traveling. Besides we couldn't find a floor plan that we liked. we saw the 378 on a 2007 Georgetown and that was it. When the 2008s came out, we ordered ours.
Ease of set up and our ages are one of the big reason's we are going to a motorhome next and we've decided the Georgetown Ford V10 is the way for us to go. Now if we can decide on a floorplan. The queen sized bed is a problem in the 378TS. The overhead TV and the smaller kitchen is a problem with the 374TS. But, then the big refrigerator is a plus in the 378TS. Trials and tribulations. Just can't figure out how to spend our money.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #20

Well if you don't mind sleeping apart an air matress on the hide-a-bed couch is quite comfy. We sometimes do this if one of us is snoring too loud

The selling point for the 378 was the living room. We love the TV being in front of the couch where it doesn't hurt your neck to watch it and the fireplace is nice on those cold days too, keeps the rig warm.
www.nwjeepn.com

Tags
378ts