Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #1

Georgetown 378XL

Wife and I are considering purchase of new GT 378. Thinking of getting the drivers door. Any experience with that? Also, any suggested additions/changes to the suspension/steering?
Any and all input will be appreciated!!
goodstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #2

Think about a couple of scenarios. One, you get hit on the passenger side and the exit door is jammed or blocked. Are you nimble enough to scramble to the emergency escape and push out the window and drop to the ground?

Or, as happened to us, the door latch somehow vibrates out of alignment and the door won't open. The driver door saved the day as I was able to exit and open the entry door from outside with a key.

I am glad I have it!

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Struggled with the idea of getting one when we ordered our rig and decidd not to get it. Sometimes wished that we had. So...guess I really don't have a good answer, sorry.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Anacortesians

We have one on our (used) GT325. At present, I have to use it to get in and out when the rig is stored alongside the garage, as the house door hits the gutter and doesn't open far enough to get out.

I've used it once while on a trip, and the result was lumbar spinal sugery for a herniated disk! When I went for the "stirrup" step, I missed it and started to fall out backwards. Landing head-first on a concrete pad didn't seem like a good idea. Pulling myself back up caused the disk problem.

My own bottom line is, if the rig is a front-engined one and the driver's door is over the front wheel, like those fitted to larger trucks, be very cautious. I wouldn't have one if I didn't need it for the one specific case. When I park for home storage, I go get a residential 8' step ladder and place it at about where the door will be when I stop. I would not, under any circumstances, use the door for routine egress.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #5

We have a new 378TS and decided not to get the drivers door. Partly because it is a dangerous climb and already have a weak right leg. I often wonder about the mid cabin entrance if it becomes mis aligned.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #6

I have the drivers door on my 370. I like the power window and the ability to have an emergency exit. Also makes it east to access the under dash area if needed.
370xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodstick View Post
Wife and I are considering purchase of new GT 378. Thinking of getting the drivers door. Any experience with that? Also, any suggested additions/changes to the suspension/steering?
Any and all input will be appreciated!!

The drivers door is a good idea. Seems everyone wants to tell you how they are unable to climb and have medical issues which is not what you asked. Obvious age has alot to do with it.
It is a great extra exit and when you stop for gas. It's your dime and only you can decide if it is worth it.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #8

driver's door

This is the first class A out of six that I previously owned that I did not opt for the driver's door. The others I had I used every time I got out to fuel. One of the reasons I did not get one on this rig was that every one of the other ones I had either rattled or leaked air. I do miss the convenience of the driver's door, but it was also a $1500.00 option (as I recall) that I spent on dual pane windows!.

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
378xl, drivers door, steering, suspension