Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Falcon and anyone else who's interested: Table is now quite steady and usable, no issues with dancing dishes.... Standard 12" pipe fittings.
Thank's Vince
I will try and do something like that.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #22

We're still trying to decide how to make the table work best for us. We prefer the table parallel to the window rather than perpendicular, plus I don't like the idea of having to reposition the table and the pedestal slide every time we stop for any length of time for stability, seating comfort, and view of the TV (when not traveling, we put both table extensions up and position chairs side by side opposite window--we have linoleum for most our flooring except for slide areas, so this way we don't have the wrestle to position the chairs over carpet). We are taking our rig to the dealer in a couple of weeks for several issues and are going to inquire about repositioning where the table is bolted down, so we can keep the table in the same parallel to the window position when traveling and not. And yes, the sliding pedestal definitely needs to be able to be anchored in some fashion. I always felt a little cramped around the table in our 5th wheel but certainly never had these types of issues!!

And here's my mini rant about the dining chairs. They are attractive, but the rounded backs make it difficult to pick them up and move them, and they don't hang a coat very well! With space at a premium in an RV, I'm looking for practicality anywhere I can find it--including where to hang hats and coats. Square corners work much better for this! Also, the seats on our 5th wheel chairs lifted for storage underneath. Love the motorhome for many reasons, but you can't beat the space in a 5th wheel.

Another thought--why couldn't the microwave be positioned immediately above the glass tile backsplash? Then there would be room for another cabinet above microwave (here I go again--like there was in our 5th wheel). We are tall, but I imagine the 378 microwave is a bit high for some.

And about the little drawers in the bedroom--ok, I'll stop there!
ladysanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysanford View Post
We're still trying to decide how to make the table work best for us. We prefer the table parallel to the window rather than perpendicular, plus I don't like the idea of having to reposition the table and the pedestal slide every time we stop for any length of time for stability, seating comfort, and view of the TV (when not traveling, we put both table extensions up and position chairs side by side opposite window--we have linoleum for most our flooring except for slide areas, so this way we don't have the wrestle to position the chairs over carpet). We are taking our rig to the dealer in a couple of weeks for several issues and are going to inquire about repositioning where the table is bolted down, so we can keep the table in the same parallel to the window position when traveling and not. And yes, the sliding pedestal definitely needs to be able to be anchored in some fashion. I always felt a little cramped around the table in our 5th wheel but certainly never had these types of issues!!

And here's my mini rant about the dining chairs. They are attractive, but the rounded backs make it difficult to pick them up and move them, and they don't hang a coat very well! With space at a premium in an RV, I'm looking for practicality anywhere I can find it--including where to hang hats and coats. Square corners work much better for this! Also, the seats on our 5th wheel chairs lifted for storage underneath. Love the motorhome for many reasons, but you can't beat the space in a 5th wheel.

Another thought--why couldn't the microwave be positioned immediately above the glass tile backsplash? Then there would be room for another cabinet above microwave (here I go again--like there was in our 5th wheel). We are tall, but I imagine the 378 microwave is a bit high for some.

Sounds like you should have kept your 5th wheel. I for one love the chairs in the 378 versus our old 5th wheel,they are more comfortable and lighter, as for using them for a coat rack, that is what our closet is for. The micro is perfect as it is and it has to be higher for safely reasons.

I put a slide lock on the table to keep it in position when traveling and for dining and watching the tv the wife sits in the slide at the side of the table we extend throne leaf and I put a chair in front of that leaf, no problems dining and watching the tv..

We had a 40 ft 5th wheel so the 378 is smaller so live with it or get a 40 ft plus 300k plus motor home.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #24

Quote:

Are you listening to yourself?
Sound slike you bought something you didn't like.
I know you can buy a Provos and custom design it with the things you want and like.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #25

Ah c'mon guys, she's just got the six figure complaint and picking on the cause of the expenditure. She'll get to lovin it when it sinks in you prepare and go in less than an hour and have your mini-home wherever you want it in a short time. And enjoy how comfortable it is. You can buy a summer home someplace else but it just ain't the same as a motorhome! Besides a Prevost is over a million, so is a Newell Coach. Either is still only 20% bigger for 10X the cost. Happy Campin!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #26

Wow--I didn't mean to stir everyone up, so my sincere apologies if my tone was over critical. I've seen several complaints about the "cheap" drapes and "crappy Forest River components" that didn't bring up near this much comment. I've been fascinated with 5th wheels since I was young, so I will always have a soft spot for them. But health reasons (for which I will choose not to elaborate) got us to thinking more about a motorhome. When I walked into the 378, I felt I'd found something that would work for us. (And I totally agree with VinceU on the big expensive custom ones--don't think I'd want one of those if I could afford it.) So let me try and redeem myself a bit with what I love about the 378.

We love the residential frig, the fireplace that provides a constant heat source in the winter, best toilet we've ever had for full bowl flushing capacity, great kitchen configuration, and I happen to really like the drapes! I'm an organization junkie and always enjoy the challenge of making the RV as efficient and spacious as possible, so just shared a few of my observations to see what others thought. Because we live in the RV parttime year round even when not traveling, we needed the washer/dryer combo, so it does limit our closet space. We also boondock at a remote ranch in Oregon every summer so opted for the oven. Both of those options cut down on storage space. We mounted a couple wall hooks between the coach seats and slides on each side for coats, which helps tremendously, but I'd still prefer square back chairs. The rounded ones are also difficult for me to pick up with arthritic hands. And please, doesn't anyone agree that four reasonably sized drawers in the bedroom would make more sense than eight small ones?

The motorhome has definitely been an adjustment for us, but we love it and are learning how to make it work for us, just as all of us who love the RV lifestyle do.

Well, I've totally deviated from the original thread topic--trying to make the table work better. So happy traveling to all of you. I am not a disgruntled motorhome owner; am just interested in sharing observations and learning what others have discovered that works for them.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Wow--I didn't mean to stir everyone up, so my sincere apologies if my tone was over critical. I've seen several complaints about the "cheap" drapes and "crappy Forest River components" that didn't bring up near this much comment. I've been fascinated with 5th wheels since I was young, so I will always have a soft spot for them. But health reasons (for which I will choose not to elaborate) got us to thinking more about a motorhome. When I walked into the 378, I felt I'd found something that would work for us. (And I totally agree with VinceU on the big expensive custom ones--don't think I'd want one of those if I could afford it.) So let me try and redeem myself a bit with what I love about the 378.

We love the residential frig, the fireplace that provides a constant heat source in the winter, best toilet we've ever had for full bowl flushing capacity, great kitchen configuration, and I happen to really like the drapes! I'm an organization junkie and always enjoy the challenge of making the RV as efficient and spacious as possible, so just shared a few of my observations to see what others thought. Because we live in the RV parttime year round even when not traveling, we needed the washer/dryer combo, so it does limit our closet space. We also boondock at a remote ranch in Oregon every summer so opted for the oven. Both of those options cut down on storage space. We mounted a couple wall hooks between the coach seats and slides on each side for coats, which helps tremendously, but I'd still prefer square back chairs. The rounded ones are also difficult for me to pick up with arthritic hands. And please, doesn't anyone agree that four reasonably sized drawers in the bedroom would make more sense than eight small ones?

The motorhome has definitely been an adjustment for us, but we love it and are learning how to make it work for us, just as all of us who love the RV lifestyle do.

Well, I've totally deviated from the original thread topic--trying to make the table work better. So happy traveling to all of you. I am not a disgruntled motorhome owner; am just interested in sharing observations and learning what others have discovered that works for them.
No biggie, GT folks are very loyal to the "brand". But here is something you can use for "more space" we stow at least triple what we use to with the baskets, obviously very important for long term travel. Subject is baskets, my solution follows

Originally Posted by dbechtol1
Hi, I'm new and my name is Dave. I tried a post earlier but must have screwed it up as it is lost in the computer world somewhere so I will try again. My pantry in my 2010 Georgetown 360DS came with 4 shelves and I need 2 more. They measure 21"L x 4"W x 3"H and I will try to attach a picture. I've looked everywhere except going to Forest River. Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachment 21452

Very difficult to find outside FR seem like custom made, they arent practical therefore a few folks changed to this instead. I think it is 22" drawer slides from Lowes and build frames for the drawers and slides get 3X the volume and better organized.
Attached Thumbnails
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #28

Thanks, VinceU! What a great suggestion for the pantry! I have used the large frig for overflow of pantry items up until now. I will show this to the hubby!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:11 AM   #29

Quote:
Thanks, VinceU! What a great suggestion for the pantry! I have used the large frig for overflow of pantry items up until now. I will show this to the hubby!
I have a 2012 378 also and what I have found is the table has 2 large screws that holds the table down to carpet and floor, but the table will never be stable on top of carpet . If this table was bolted straight to floor I think it would be better a little. Pete
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #30

Think I found the solution to the wobbly table! Bought a 29" square table leg and mounting bracket from Lowes this past weekend, sanded and finished it to match the table finish and mounted as far outboard of the table's pedistal so it is just barely on the edge of the slide. 100% improvment. Don't know if I will need to remove the new leg when we bring the slide in. Will find out next week when we pick up and move north to PA.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
Think I found the solution to the wobbly table! Bought a 29" square table leg and mounting bracket from Lowes this past weekend, sanded and finished it to match the table finish and mounted as far outboard of the table's pedistal so it is just barely on the edge of the slide. 100% improvment. Don't know if I will need to remove the new leg when we bring the slide in. Will find out next week when we pick up and move north to PA.
What does the mounting bracket look like? Did you put the bracket on the table or the floor? I know on ours the play is in the slide part that allows the table to slide. We always move ours out when we are parked so we can use the full table top. I would have to be able to take the leg out so we could move the table back so it doesn't block the aisle. We like the table but wish we could stop the wiggle.
Protect-A-Tow
Old 05-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #32

QuickView CompareCompare

Waddell 28-in Ash Parsons Traditional Wood Table Leg

Not Yet Rated

Price $9.24

Qty.:
Add to Cart
  • Item #: 839
  • Model #: 2678
  • Furniture grade solid Ash for finest appearance
  • Pre-installed hanger bolt allows for fast and easy installation when using Waddell's Quick Mount surface plates
  • Sanded smooth and ready for your custom finish
Waddell 3-in Table Leg Straight Top Plate

(3 Reviews)

Price $1.68

Qty.:
Add to Cart
  • Item #: 838
  • Model #: 2751
  • Designed to help install table legs
  • Zinc plating for corrosion protection
  • Works with a 5/16-18 table-leg hanger bolt
This is what I found at Lowes and used. The mounting bracket is screwed to the underside of the table top and then the leg is screwed into the bracket. Hope this helps.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #33

Thanks Lostdog! I'm going to see if I can find that here In Canada. If I don't find that one I'm sure I will find something like it.
Protect-A-Tow
Old 05-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #34

Well, we got one problem solved with our dining table in the 378. In describing our issues with customer service at Forest River, they confirmed that there should be a lock for the sliding pedestal which we apparently didn't get. They mailed it to us today. They also described their "fix" for the wobbly table--something about taking the table off the base, turning the base 90 degrees, then reattaching the table. I didn't totally get it nor really understand how that's going to make it better, but if you are interested, call April Conner, Customer Service, Forest River, at 574-206-7603. She can hook you up with the right person to describe the "fix" in more detail. Our rig is currently at the dealership for repairs/maintenance, so I had their guy call Forest River directly.