Old 02-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
Send a message via AIM to dutch

George how are you installing a auto start to gen? What is all involved with that? I have been thinking of doing that because we sometimes leave Buddy in there when we go out and I always say what happens if we loose power to the coach while we are out.

2013 Georgetown XL 378
Toad 2012 Honda Civic
Dutch & Kathie & shitzue Buddy
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
Originally Posted by jbrucemagon View Post
Really good info, wrapperman. None of the breakers are tripped in the panel, the GFCI switch was tested and reset, the inverter shows green. The reefer is operating. But I hear no fan or hum that I've been hearing from the inverter always. I would think the fan only operates when the inverter is operating. If batteries are fully charged and I'm plugged into shore power, the fan shouldn't be running right? Now, I need to shut off the shore power and see if the transfer switch sends power to the inverter.
Correct. The fan in the inverter won't operate unless it is necessary and since you are on shore power the inverter is idling and dissipating no power it isn't necessary as the idle current is pretty low. When you disconnect the shore power it should pick up the reefer as long as the transfer switch is working and then you should get a significant power dissipation number (in kilowatts) and the fan may periodically operate.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #13
Georgetown 378XL Xantrex Inverter

Jbruce, please clarify something. Are you only concerned that the inverter is not "humming"? I am confusing the "fan humming" with the reefer fan or the inverter fan.
If so and your reefer works with shore power connected or disconnected then we know the inverter and transfer switch is working.
As Scott was saying the inverter fan should operate only when needed to keep the inverter cool.
I keep my "green inverter light" illuminated all the time.
2013 Georgetown XL 378
2008 Honda CR-V
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #14
I am only concerned because the inverter has been humming/buzzing since we've owned it - for a year and a half. When it stopped humming/buzzing, I got concerned and thus started the search. When I disconnected shore power, the reefer continued running. That's a good sign. And it might be possible that the fan itself has quit. I get that if the inverter is not hot, it won't need to run the fan. But it's run continuously for a year and a half.
jbrucemagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #15
Your smart to be aware of these things.
Happy camping.

2013 Georgetown XL 378
2008 Honda CR-V
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote

378xl, georgetown, inverter