Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #1

Georgetown 391 perfect!!!

I have been searching for the perfect motor home for over 3 years now and I have finally found it in the 2007-2009 series - its perfect! Why you ask? I have extensively searched all makes and models of motor homes, looked at 100’s of floor plans and the Georgetown 391 is the best, and here’s why..

#1-King Size bed, my wife wont sleep with me in anything smaller, and the bedroom is very spacious, 2 big windows that bring in a lot of light.
#2-a walk-through bathroom lots of room - I hate hallways in an RV, they are a waste of unused space.
#3-2 couches, I have 2 teenage sons, having 2 couches is perfect they can sleep on them while traveling
#4-front high mount TV –when travelling the TV can been seen front both couches and the kitchen table
#5-rear gas engine, nice and quiet when traveling have the engine is in the back. #6-forward front entrance door means a shorter wheelbase for better cornering

There are only 2 things I would change on it
1-additional cupboards above the couches
2-additional counter space in the bathroom

If anyone agrees with me please comment, would love to hear 391 owners, thanks Lance
Lance Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Phillips View Post
I have been searching for the perfect motor home for over 3 years now and I have finally found it in the 2007-2009 series - its perfect! Why you ask? I have extensively searched all makes and models of motor homes, looked at 100’s of floor plans and the Georgetown 391 is the best, and here’s why..

#1-King Size bed, my wife wont sleep with me in anything smaller, and the bedroom is very spacious, 2 big windows that bring in a lot of light.
#2-a walk-through bathroom lots of room - I hate hallways in an RV, they are a waste of unused space.
#3-2 couches, I have 2 teenage sons, having 2 couches is perfect they can sleep on them while traveling
#4-front high mount TV –when travelling the TV can been seen front both couches and the kitchen table
#5-rear gas engine, nice and quiet when traveling have the engine is in the back. #6-forward front entrance door means a shorter wheelbase for better cornering

If anyone agrees with me please comment, would love to hear 391 owners, thanks Lance
not that i disagree with you but if it was that popular they would still be making th floorplan. however it does not matter what i or anyone else thinks-as long as you like it-go for it.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #3

Congrats on finding the MH for you! There are so many floor plans and different features that it would be hard not to find something if you look long enough. The manufacturers are ALWAYS changing things so even if the floor plan is discontinued, it doesn't mean it wasn't or isn't popular. As gerrym51 said, as long as you like it... !

BUT don't forget that passengers need to be buckled up in a MH when it is underway just like in a car so you may want to rethink letting your sons sleep on the couches when traveling unless they can be buckled in.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #4

"If anyone agrees with me please comment"?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

Georgetown 391 perfect!!!

thanks folks for the replies
Karen just for your info, even though seatbelts are a requirement while traveling, they are as necessary as seatbelts in a school bus - statistics show that motorizes RVs are the least means of transportation to get into an accident, that’s why insurance is so cheap - of the 47 years of traveling in them i have never ever heard from anyone of anyone seriously getting hurt in a MH – so don’t worry its completely safe to sleep on the couches or even on the bed in the back
Take care Lance
Lance Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

We own a 2007 391 and love it. You hit most of the high spots but left out the great storage since there is no drive train.

We use ours to travel to canine agility competitions. So the dinette is gone and three large dog crates fill the space. I made a sliding top to allow for sit down dining. I built shelving for the wall over the toilet but other than that we haven't really done many mods. Oh, add a memory foam topper to the crappy RV mattress Georgetown supplies. Remember the king size bed is an RV king not a regular king. It's few inches smaller in all dimensions than a Cal King.

The Workhorse UFO (Universal Fuel Option) chassis was designed for either gas or diesel but never got a diesel option. Four or five different RV manufacturers used it so more than just Georgetowns can be found in similar configurations. You can find more info on IRV2.com in the Workhorse forum. Workhorse was pretty much shut down by their buyer Navistar when the recession killed off their business. Had the economy been healthier, I think the chassis would have seen more success. When I go up a big hill with high engine RPMs, the wife and I chat normally in the front seats. I can't imagine the same thing with a Ford V10 rumbling a few feet away.

If you buy a Georgetown you will find threads here to help you with the water tank siphoning problem. Check to see that the engine fan clutch has been recalled and think about Koni shocks to replace the stock Bilsteins.

We mostly do short trips within Northern California but have done a 1,000 mile one way to Arizona. On that trip the 391 handled 60 mph crosswinds and going up and down the Grapevine to L.A. securely. I'm reasonably happy with the power and we occasionally tow a minivan with no trouble. Fit and finish could be better but at the price you have to make allowances. Carpeting on the floor is an awful idea for active dog owners. Rather than spending over $10,000 to refloor the whole rig I just unroll a carpet.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
thanks folks for the replies
Karen just for your info, even though seatbelts are a requirement while traveling, they are as necessary as seatbelts in a school bus - statistics show that motorizes RVs are the least means of transportation to get into an accident, that’s why insurance is so cheap - of the 47 years of traveling in them i have never ever heard from anyone of anyone seriously getting hurt in a MH – so don’t worry its completely safe to sleep on the couches or even on the bed in the back
Take care Lance
HUH? I don't mean to start a debate but sure don't want newbies that may read this thread to think seatbelts in motorhomes are just for decoration. Of course, motorhomes are involved in wrecks whether with another vehicle, blow outs or inattentive drivers and of course people can be injured. I even strap our dogs in!

As for school buses there are certainly times when seat belts would prevent injuries and death. Just recently, 2 school busses were involved in roll overs in nearby districts. One was caused by another vehicle and 2 kids were seriously injured. Another was caused by driver error and 2 kindergarten kids were killed. While there may have been injuries, they would not have been as severe and both kids that died would have celebrated Christmas this year.

Please don't minimize the dangers.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #8

Lance Phillips

Never knew about the Georgetown 391 with the rear gas sngine.
Sounds great. Too bad they stopped making them becasue I think it would still be a great seller.

Any difference in the mpg between the front and rear engine versions?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #9

From what I can tell from my UFO and reading forums, the front vs. rear doesn't make any mpg difference. Seven to eight miles per gallon depending on the usual variables. I did hear the chassis was more expensive to produce and during a recession luxury buyers make every penny count even more.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post
From what I can tell from my UFO and reading forums, the front vs. rear doesn't make any mpg difference. Seven to eight miles per gallon depending on the usual variables. I did hear the chassis was more expensive to produce and during a recession luxury buyers make every penny count even more.
So how is all the controlls done from the front to the back? Cables
Gas peddle and gear shifter.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #11

Electric

Sent from my LG-D850 using Forest River Forums mobile app
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
New:

Quote:

I am very impressed with this design, why did Forest River quit making this version? I would enjoy having a rear engine, 2 couches and triple slides. I have a 328ts and I really enjoy the triple slides.
Hope you have great luck and happy camping!
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote