Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
i would be quite concerned about the fridge thing myself. No matter how big your batteries are, even with a generator, you will be tending that for the rest of your camping life, when you camp off the grid. Anything the produces or reduces heat, takes alot of juice to run. You may find yourself recharging your batteries on a daily basis, just to keep the inverter/fridge thing working ...

d-mo
That's a true statement, But you can always install a bigger amp alternator on your unit to charge the battery bank instead of the genny. I installed a 150 amp and took out the 55 amp that came on my boat when I was travelling around the world but only made it half way. It was a sail boat with solar panels but still needed to run the engine an hour a day to keep 4 T-8 battery's charged for my inverter to run the refer and my computer for Navigation with all the other things like auto helm and the rest. I use to hate to start that engine. It was a 50hp aux engine could run 7 hrs on a gal of DE. At that time I was getting it for 1.25 a gal. But only had a 50 gal tank. I'm sure you can make it work out........

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #22

I know I'm adding to this thread a liitle late, but I too have a 378XL TS, it's a 2008 model year and I don't seem to have any problems with my driver's door mirror.
Now as far as the door and the wind I having notice any noise or wind coming in, I'm not saying it don't, I'm just saying I haven't noticed it. As far as having a door I'm glad I do, it comes in handy for more than just getting out of, it gives you easier access to the fuse panel under the dash, open the door step on a small step ladder and it's right there.
I had to get to those fuses a couple of times and the door really came in handy.
By the way I bought mine at Colerain also, back in April of 2008, Nice People took care of all my problems. At FR I dealt with Mike Burns and he was just one hell'va nice guy, not sure if he is still there, but he always answered the phone and e-mailed right back.
In my opinion you can't beat the bang for your buck with a Georgetown
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #23

Yes we all have had to work the bugs out of our Georgetown’s.
Let's hope the problems got fixed by Forest River in the first year or so.
The funny part is yes we got a lot for our money and as long as you use use it will it will stay enjoyable.
I have friends with motorhomes from all manufacturers and prices ranging from $150,000 up to $850,000. They all have problems and they hope they are found also in the first year. After that they get lots more expensive than our.
I had a chat with one of my friends with a diesel pusher about quality and price.
He bad the statement that in 5 years his motorhome will be worth more than mine.... I laughed and asked what his month payment was. He said $2,340 a month. I asked him what mpg did he get? He said 6 or 7 mpg diesel plus additive.
I asked him the reason his motorhome will be worth more in 5 years is because he paid 5 times more than I did when I bought mine.
He thought a moment and said your right and laughed.

So my point being no matter what you buy you will still have issues.
Our MH’s are more reasonable when we look at what we bought the rigs for.
Anyway, that is the way I look at it and I just had my 1st birthday for my Georgetown and I have 16,000 miles and plan another 8,000 at least this year and 2014 it will be around 9,000 miles.

Their was a business management book published back in the 80's and the title was..
"Don't sweat the small stuff.. and everything is small stuff"
That is how I'm living my the second half of my life and heading down the road having fun.
How about you?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #24

""""""Their was a business management book published back in the 80's and the title was..
That is how I'm living my the second half of my life and heading down the road having fun.
How about you? """"""""

Wow, Iggy, You are right on the money!!!!
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
""""""
Wow, Iggy, You are right on the money!!!!
Glad you like my philosopy. Now all we all need to win the lottery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	29795   Click image for larger version

Name:	dont-sweat-the-small-stuff.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	29796  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #26

When we ordered our 2013 GT 378, we debated on the driver's door. We opted not, and apparently that was a good decision after reading the above. However, the 2012s that the dealership had on the lot had driver's doors, so I thought it was more the norm than not. We find travel to be noisy enough as it is, as the screens on the coach windows rattle a fair amount.

About the frig--we boondock as well and were concerned about the all electric frig. The dealership got us in touch with their factory rep, and he gave us a hard sales pitch on the electric frig, as if there really wasn't any other option on the 2013, so we went with it. However, we both clearly remember that he insisted there was a totally dedicated separate battery just for the frig, which isn't the case at all. We will see how it goes when we are in remote Oregon this summer with no shore power. We generally run the generator for a couple of hours in the morning and the same at night during that time, so we are hoping that's enough to keep the batteries charged. If not, we may need to explore the idea of larger batteries as you mentioned, but I'm not sure the inverter is designed for that? We love the frig overall so are hoping there's not a problem.

I sincerely hope you get all your issues resolved. I would be upset as well to not get it as you ordered it. We took possession of our 378 in December 2012, traveled in the month of January, took it back to the dealer in February for a pretty full list of fixits, some of which required ordering parts, lived in it parttime all winter and spring, and are headed back to the dealer next week to complete the "list" before we head out on our summer sojourn. Just the nature of the beast, I guess.
ladysanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Yes we all have had to work the bugs out of our Georgetown’s.
Let's hope the problems got fixed by Forest River in the first year or so.
The funny part is yes we got a lot for our money and as long as you use use it will it will stay enjoyable.
I have friends with motorhomes from all manufacturers and prices ranging from $150,000 up to $850,000. They all have problems and they hope they are found also in the first year. After that they get lots more expensive than our.
I had a chat with one of my friends with a diesel pusher about quality and price.
He bad the statement that in 5 years his motorhome will be worth more than mine.... I laughed and asked what his month payment was. He said $2,340 a month. I asked him what mpg did he get? He said 6 or 7 mpg diesel plus additive.
I asked him the reason his motorhome will be worth more in 5 years is because he paid 5 times more than I did when I bought mine.
He thought a moment and said your right and laughed.

So my point being no matter what you buy you will still have issues.
Our MH’s are more reasonable when we look at what we bought the rigs for.
Anyway, that is the way I look at it and I just had my 1st birthday for my Georgetown and I have 16,000 miles and plan another 8,000 at least this year and 2014 it will be around 9,000 miles.

Their was a business management book published back in the 80's and the title was..
How about you?
Very well said. Thumps up!
BigGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #28

Good morning to all. As some of you may recall, our 2013 GT XL 378TS was ordered with a drivers door, to be used as an emergency egress. The drivers side mirror was mostly unusable due to the position of the door post and the mirror. Turns out the only viable solution to this dilemma was a return to the GT factory to have the mirror moved.
We worked with Steve Stombaugh, the warranty/customer service manager, on getting the coach delivered and worked done. My DW and I couldn't be happier with the results. The mirror was moved to make it completely usable. The work and paint job were top notch-no one can tell the mirror had been moved. The job took 2 weeks (some other small things) and was finished ahead of schedule. Steve was a pleasure to work with and the shop did a top-notch job.
Once we got pass the mirror issue in mid-February, we are very satisfied with the GT. Sure there are some small things we are still getting used to but overall a great coach. Would recommend this unit to any one. Still haven't heard anything from our dealer since the mirror issue but such is life. Just glad we are working with Midwest RV, Dayton, on other small warranty/maintenance things.
goodstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #29

Mid-west is owned by colerain rv
armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #30

OK...do I want to buy one of these? I've never owned an RV, but want one to live in full-time...just me, a man and his thoughts...and three kids on occasion. Is the Newmar/Tiffin worth the extra money or are they all pretty much the same? I am considering either a new Georgetown or pre-owned Berkshire; but am not ruling out the Tiffin/Newmar. I do not want to be a nuisance, but may I piggy-back on your research and satisfaction vs. expecations? Thanks...Tinman
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #31
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
OK...do I want to buy one of these? I've never owned an RV, but want one to live in full-time...just me, a man and his thoughts...and three kids on occasion. Is the Newmar/Tiffin worth the extra money or are they all pretty much the same? I am considering either a new Georgetown or pre-owned Berkshire; but am not ruling out the Tiffin/Newmar. I do not want to be a nuisance, but may I piggy-back on your research and satisfaction vs. expecations? Thanks...Tinman
I had 100+ items fixed under warranty. Many were very little things, some were big things. I LOVE my Georgetown and would do it all over again. You cannot beat the value.