Old 10-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #1

Georgetown Camping in cool (cold) weather

We are looking at going on a camping trip in October/November. We are NOT going to be going if there is snow on the ground but the weather can get cool at night. Well maybe I should say below freezing at night. We will be staying in an RV park. Anyone have any suggestions on what we should or should not do during our stay? Should we invest in a heated water hose? What about the sewer hose? I am assuming that since we will be living in the motorhome and will have the heat on the plumbing etc should be fine. We will winterize immediately upon returning home!

Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #2

Does your MH have the "arctic pack"? If it does the water tanks have heaters so no problem there. If not 4 gallons of water will not freeze unless the temperature really drops below freezing. The only thing you could do is disconnect the water (fresh) from the tap at night and drain it, and bring it inside. If the campground you are staying at experiences freezing problems they install self draining water supplies. Where are you going? I'm two hours north of Toronto and the nights are not cool enough to cause problems at least for another month. Enjoy

Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #3

Inland area of the Pacific Northwest. Have had a couple of days with nightime temps in the 30's already but don't stay that low for long. We are talking about 3 -6 weeks from now and the temps will be significantly cooler then. Yes the motorhome has arctic pack!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #4

Unless the temperature goes to -4C (20F) for the entire night no problem. If it does bring in the fresh water hose as I suggested.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #5

If you are going to be in an RV park, I'd recommend getting an electric space heater vs using the furnace - I found the furnace to be very loud and distracting vs a nice electric heater. And if you have full hookups, you've already paid for the electricity vs the propane for the furnace.
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #6

If you are only going to use a space heater also consider getting a small dehumidifier.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #7

If it's only a few degrees below freezing the only thing I would worry about is the fresh water hose. That's the only thing we have had freeze by morning. We will be out this week in the trailer but it should stay above freezing for us.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
TARVIDSON

The furnace keeps your tanks and water pump warm, the space heater does not. If it is getting close to 20F I use the furnace.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #9

05 gtwn 375 xl ts WITH ARTIC pack tanks do not freeze BUT some pipes did in va in jan ( 6 degrees) not all pipes are protected I turned on engine to warm up underside before I used the water to flush toilet or use a little antifreeze to flush
Old 10-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #10

They are camping in the inland PNW - it's not going to be arctic out there - maybe low 30's at night, but much warmer during the day.

Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, georgetown