Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #1

Georgetown Dewinterizing

Just purchased 2011 Forest River Georgetown 360 that was winterized by dealer. Can someone guide me through the de-winterizing process. I have located the tube that inserts in the hot water tank.
Joewash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #2

Here's a winterizing procedure - make sure you understand it first, and then follow in reverse.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winterizing.pdf (1.60 MB, 417 views)
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #3

Thank You

Thanks Starboard hopefully I can figure out this de-winterizing procedure.
Joewash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewash22 View Post
Thanks Starboard hopefully I can figure out this de-winterizing procedure.
Like Starboard said, understanding the winterizing procedure helps.

Assuming your coach is full of "the pink stuff" you'll want to flush it out really good. I would suggest leaving your water heater bypass on as you do this, simply to avoid getting antifreeze in it.

I personally hate the smell of the pink stuff, so I go a little overboard when flushing my system. You'll learn what works for you. I may be doing too many steps and can skip some, but I like to be overly thorough on this and it was a nice, sunny day.

This year I hooked my water source up to the city water connection. Before turning it on, I opened the low point drain plugs and drained what pink stuff I could into a bucket, and emptied the whole-house water filter canister (filter was removed when I winterized). Close those valves and turn on the city water. Hit every sink, toilet and shower (don't forget your outside shower if equipped) with the cold side, then the hot side. Run the water until you don't see the pink anymore. Shut off the water.

If you want to, open the low point drains again to get any residual pink stuff that may have pushed to those locations. Now add some water to your fresh tank. You may need to switch the tank\winterizing bypass valve (if equipped) which is near your pump. Check out the guide Starboard posted for location and what it looks like. Turn on your pump and go through the same process - hot\cold in all sinks, showers and toilets. This will get the portion of the lines that are between your pump and water system. Shut off your pump.

Once you're happy all of the pink stuff is out, go to your water heater. Hopefully your dealer didn't fill your water heater with antifreeze....most likely it is dry and the anode\drain plug is either not installed or is loosely installed. Either way, remove it using a ratchet if needed(1 1/4" or 1 1/2", sorry, can't remember). Find your water heater bypass valves (again, refer to the diagrams in the guide) and open them so water will flow to your water heater. With the anode out, turn on your pump (or city water) and water will start to flow into your water heater and out the anode\drain hole. This is simply to flush out any nastiness that may have gotten in your water heater. Let this run for a few minutes to get a good flush. When happy, shut off your pump (turn off water). Re-install the anode\drain plug per manufacturer's instructions which are likely to apply some new plumber's tape around the threads and tighten.

If you have the residential fridge you'll have to determine how it was winterized. Did they pump anti-freeze through it or just remove the filter, shut off the water and drain it? Either way, you'd flush it out the same way as everything else. You may need to add a filter or turn the bypass back on, etc.

If you plan to run a bleach solution through your tanks and line, this is the time to do that. There are several forum posts on this topic, I recommend a search on the topic.

I also use my de-winterizing time to check all the lights, seals, batteries, etc. Replace batteries in smoke\CO2 detectors, flashlights kept in the coach, etc. We also give it a thorough cleaning, it's amazing how dirty an empty coach gets sitting all winter. I haven't yet, but will change the generator oil at this time as well.

Hope this all helps. Again, my steps are probably overkill, but I hate that pink stuff smell and like to make sure it's all out of there. When in doubt, ask your dealer if you can hire them to de-winterize AND let you watch. These folks have it down to an art I'm sure.

Good luck and enjoy your new RV!

Tom
Old 04-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

The Wandering Irishman I think the anode takes a 1-1/16" socket.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

That's what mine takes.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, I was too lazy to actually get up and go look. ha ha

So....curious who flushes from fresh water tank only, city water connection only, or both?
Old 04-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
de- winterizing

Both water systems
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
X3

I leave a 1 1/16" socket on an old ratchet handle so I don't have to remember.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote