Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
gca

Unhappy Georgetown Electrical Gremlins

Hello folks - Just returned from a six week trip to Fla which revealed some occasional electrical gremlins in our 2011 Georgetown 360F. On traveling through Ala & Fla (warmer climate area's) and arriving at our selected RV park for the night or extended stay we would have the following issues while setting up. After putting out the 2 slides & extending the leveling jacks, running the shore line, hooking up the water and sewer lines, of which I consider all the hard chores, I would start on the less intensive labor projects such as turning on the satellite antenna, turning on the local tv antenna with power boost - after the satellite antenna fails to power on, but low & behold the power boost on this system fails to power up also. To top all of this off I find that I cannot raise or lower the power shade (sun visor for front windshield). This condition will last from 15 min to as much as 1 hour - then presto all three (3) items power up on their own as I have left all 3 on/off switches in the on position.
My Georgetown dealer technician tells me that all three (3) items operate off the same 12 volt line that is running from the coaches house batteries located under the entrance steeps of the coach. I was told to find the 15 amp fuse that powers this 12 volt line and to check it if perhaps it is corroded or loose or faulty. I have located the fuse in question, replaced with a tested new one, checked the little clamps that holds it in place for corrosion. Upon continuing our trip the next day or whenever, after driving for 3,4, 5 or 6 hrs and stopping and setting up ----- same problem!!!! Any one have any ideas or solutions.......
gca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #2

Are you sure you had the right fuse? There is a 15 amp fuse directly attached to the battery but I believe it is for your awning. Then again, it may also power the gremlin beasties too. There is another 15 amp fuse, I believe, farther down the line from the battery.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #3

Was fuse under dash left of steering column or under steps in battery isolater box? Curious cause thats where I would expect to find it.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
gca

Fuse is located in the battery isolater box, along with about 10/12 other fuses from 5 to 20 amps, located underneath the entry steeps.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gca
Fuse is located in the battery isolater box, along with about 10/12 other fuses from 5 to 20 amps, located underneath the entry steeps.
Thats also the home of the reefer ING auto lock i had trouble with when new. Your problem may well a connection problem between there and the dash. Probably in the dash distribution point to the three loads. I've never traced that one, does it occur in the Ford dist. panel?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #6

You're going to have to get under the MH and physically check (pull on both sides of) every connection.
The wire may (shouldn't but ???) be spliced under the MH, so you pretty much have to look at every inch of the wire.

Your trouble, hopefully will be where the wire connects into the fuse panel. But more than likely it'll be where the wire splits to feed the 3 circuits.

If that fails to find/fix the problem then you probably have a pinched conductor, the insulation may not look damaged.

Good luck
ab&jb
Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #7

This is a car story but may lend itself to why weird electrical things happen. We bought a used 1968 Buick Opel. From the very beginning when you would shut off the wipers they would stop anywhere on the window. So you had to time yourself. Then the starter motor would intermittently continue cranking after the engine started. The solenoid was not disconnecting when you released the key. I thought the wipers were normal but the starter motor was not but I was not sure exactly what to do. While looking under the dash I noticed corrosion around a fuse block just below the antenna. I pulled it off and the back side of the fuse block was filled with corrosion. Water was running in around the aftermarket antenna install. I took the fuse box apart, cleaned it, fixed fuse holders, installed new fuses. My wipers started to return to the bottom of the window no mater when you shut off the switch and the starter motor stopped running after the engine started. There must have been crossover voltage occurring between circuits or through grounds.
JMTCW TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
gca

Thanks to all who have made comments on my particular problem - you all have given me some things I can look into before having to take the coach back to the dealer and further enrich his pockets.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
2012 Solera

If you change order - hook up the shore power line then power up the satellite antenna, turn on the local tv antenna with power boost, etc - before using the power intensive slides and jacks - do they work? Almost sounds like your 12V system is "drawn down" by the slides and jacks, and needs time to recover...
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote