Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #1

Georgetown Frigidaire Gallery Refrigerator cabinet removal and inverter board replacement

This forum has been such a lifesaver with resolving some of the issues we've had over the last two years. I wanted to make sure I contributed and post some pictures of me removing our refrigerator today. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2637.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	149928Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2638.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	149929Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2639.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	149930

On my last trip, we had a power surge which fried shore power on the transfer switch. Thank goodness we were still able to run power through the generator. I swapped out the transfer switch last week which was an easy one for one swap and only took 45 minutes. It works like a charm now.

Today, I am tackling the replacement of the inverter board that fried on the refrigerator during the surge. (I have since purchased a rv surge protector so I'm hoping this will never happen again).

When the refrigerator first went out out, I had a repairman come and look at it and we were told it was the inverter board which is located behind the refrigerator. I was told that the inverter board was attached to the compressor and not sold separately. It would cost $600 plus getting new refrigerant added which could add up and they suggested we may just want to get a new refrigerator. Well, being that the motorhome is only two years old, I wasn't going to take that for an answer and did some research. I came across repairclinic.com. They have a detailed video showing how to replace the inverter board and sold it separately. There are several reviews from customers saying that this worked for them and if it doesn't repairclinic.com accepts returns which is a plus.

Here are the pictures that I took of the removal of the refrigerator. I built a 5 3/4" wooden platform, removed the two screw under the grill at the bottom (they're at a weird angle and it took a few minutes but I finally got them) and then wiggled that sucker out of the cabinet.

I'll post more pics once I remove the board and update of if this works. My fivers are crossed.
Ferretti4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #2

I pulled my refrig out like above. Couldn't get it to move out at first - the wheels had sunk into the plywood base. So.... To make it easy to roll out, using the Levelors, I tilted the motorhome to the right MAX and it rolled right out.
To put it back in, I tilted the mh the other war. FR GT 360XL 2014

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #3

Wow, great idea! Thanks. That will make putting it back in the cabinet much easier.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #4

Yep - good idea - when all done just tilt the other way and should go back all by itself [emoji106]
Old 08-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #5

Just curious, do you use any surge protection on your motorhome when plugged into shore power?

I use a 50A TRC Surge Guard and a Hughes 50A Auto Transformer in series.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #6

I bought a surge protector an hour after the transfer switch blew before I even realized the refrigerator was on the fritz. We lucky we only had issues with the refrigerator. Im thankful for that. I bought a Progressive Industries SSP-50XL after reading many good reviews.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #7

Bad news, the inverter board didn't fix the problem. ☹️ I'm trying to get a repair person to confirm it's the compressor and not something else. If it's the compressor we just may have to scrap it and get something else but now I'm having an issue getting someone to look at it because it's in a motorhome. I had two companies tell me no. I'm so frustrated. My hubby and I are going to take off the doors and attempt to move it out the motorhome door. My measurements say it'll fit. I hope so. Maybe then someone will come and service it in my garage. [emoji30][emoji51]
Old 08-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

Lesson learned.

Here's my advice...

Buy a brand new exact replacement refrigerator and have it installed by a pro.

I've tried fixing refrigerators in the past. It NEVER works. I ended up wasting time and money.

And if you didn't catch it earlier... A surge protector only protects you on over-voltage. The Hughes 50A auto-transformer protects you on brownouts, which is the thing that burns out motors... as in refrigerator compressors for example.

You have to have both... over and under voltage protection. Cheap insurance... as you are finding out.

Best of luck!
Old 08-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #9

Keep us updated. If you do have to buy a new fridge you might be able to part out the old one on this forum.

2014 Georgetown 351ds
Darmo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSix View Post
Lesson learned.

Here's my advice...

Buy a brand new exact replacement refrigerator and have it installed by a pro.

I've tried fixing refrigerators in the past. It NEVER works. I ended up wasting time and money.

And if you didn't catch it earlier... A surge protector only protects you on over-voltage. The Hughes 50A auto-transformer protects you on brownouts, which is the thing that burns out motors... as in refrigerator compressors for example.

You have to have both... over and under voltage protection. Cheap insurance... as you are finding out.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for the advice! [emoji4] I've definitely learned so much over the past month: how to replace the transfer switch, replace gearbox for back bedroom slide and remove refrigerator from cabinet. I sure wish I could add fixing refrigerator to that list but I'm sure we'll be replacing it. [emoji30] All these things seemed so daunting a month ago but I'm just chalk in up to a learning experience. Lol.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmo15 View Post
Keep us updated. If you do have to buy a new fridge you might be able to part out the old one on this forum.

Thanks! Great minds think alike. I was already thinking of that. [emoji4]

Tags
georgetown, refrigerator