Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #1

Georgetown GT Res. Refrigerator

Hi Forum. My 2013 378TS Frigidaire Fridge doesn't have any power. Where in heck did they hide the fuses/CB?? I looked at the 2 boxes in the bedroom..all are good. I found the small box under the hood with the Bussman Type 1 Auto Reset, they looked ok too.
Could the problem be w the batteries or the hard wired set up that is under the pantry?? I am stumped and hate it when small or BIG things don't work.
You guys are great. I hope to see you on the road someday
hugospro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

Are you connected to shore power or trying to run off battery power?

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #3

I tried both. But I am on shore power 24/7
Old 12-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #4

I believe the residential fridge is plugged directly into the inverter (located in an exterior compartment directly below the fridge; mine has a panel with two white screw in covers for access) which should have a "pass through" when hooked to shore power. Try plugging the fridge in to a different outlet (probably need an extension cord). If it works, your inverter needs some attention. I'm not sure, but I'd bet the inverter has some sort of fuse on it somewhere...
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

Gfci tripped?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #6

I don't believe there is a plug on the refrigerator. There is a panel box right next to the unit that has a large gauge red wire bolted to a copper strip and 6" from that one in black. But no plug there or in the basement under the unit.
I checked ALL the breakers and fuses that I could find. That was one of my initial questions....if there were more breakers, etc around the coach. Checked gfi's too.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #7

If all else fails you could try plugging the refridge directly to an extension cord that is plugged into shore power. You can find the refridge plug in the bathroom cabinet. There is an access hole there. At least on our 2013 378xl.
On my unit the inverter either has a built in or external transfer switch. That may be a possible issue.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #8

We have a 2014 378, our inverter is in a compartment above the propane tank. there is a relay that switches between shore power and the inverter. I agree in plugging a extension cord into your fridge and narrow it down to fridge not working, or lack of power to it.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugospro View Post
I don't believe there is a plug on the refrigerator. There is a panel box right next to the unit that has a large gauge red wire bolted to a copper strip and 6" from that one in black. But no plug there or in the basement under the unit.
I checked ALL the breakers and fuses that I could find. That was one of my initial questions....if there were more breakers, etc around the coach. Checked gfi's too.
The large red and black wires sound like feed to the inverter. Look for a connection from it to the refrigerator. Probably a plug and socket but could be direct wired. Either way it will probably look like a typical appliance cord.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #10

On my 335DS the fridge is wired through a transfer switch (small black box) that both plugs into the inverter and is hard wired to 120 volts. It looks like this.

If the fridge doesn't work on shore power OR battery (presuming the inverter is turned on) the failure has to be the transfer switch itself. I haven't looked to see is there is a plug in the fridge in my unit or the switch is hard wired to the refrigerator. You need to follow the two black wires from the switch. One will go to 120 VAC power and the other to the fridge.

The transfer switch (a relay) senses that there is shore power and switches the fridge automatically to show power and disconnects it from the inverter. The inverter will continue to run but with no load.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #11

Thanks

I think that you nailed my problem Scott. I do have a PROwatt SW buitlt in, by the entry door that has a green light on it and push sensor to turn on and off. It has to be on for all 110 power (including the big ass fridge). But I am thinking that there maybe another part to it by where I found the wiring in the small access panel, that is under the pantry.
I just didn't want to stick my hand in there. But I will turn off all power and dig deeper.
Thanks nothermark too.

I don't know why FR put in such a larger, power hungry ice maker/ refrigerator in a rig that sleeps 4 to begin with!! Its impossible to fill up. I like to eat fresh food and stopping at local farm stands on the back roads of America is all part of RVing.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #12

Just turn off the batteries and disconnect shore power. If it's like mine you will find the transfer switch plugged into the Prowatt as the cord is only 18" long or so. You need to follow the other two wires from the box and see where they go. I would suspect that they both go into a junction box that has the feed from the power panel and the wire to the outlet that the frig is plugged into. On a new transfer switch these two wires are labelled. If it is the switch, you could wire nut the other wires in the box together (white to white, black to black and ground to ground and your big ass frig should then just work off of shore power while you get a new switch (about $30).

I know...it is the biggest frig we have anywhere....

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #13

Have you checked the breaker on the inverter? You can access it through the porthole above the propane tank (on my 378).
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #14

The outlet on the inverter also has a gfci on it that may have tripped. But if you don't have power on 110v, there is likely another problem upstream, as others have mentioned, check the inverter transfer switch.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:43 PM   #15

Yes Chris and Scott it was the inverter! Good job troubleshooting it for me.
Thanks for everyone's input on this forum. You guys rock. Have a great holiday and I hope Santa is good to everyone. lol
Old 12-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #16

Res. Fridge

Did you check the GFI on the inverter?? It might need to be reset.
Noralle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, refrigerator